Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

I've been guilty of largely ignoring the Hurricane in my collection and it's time to put that right. A bit.

I have an SMER Mk IIc and an AZ Model Mk V in the stash too, but I thought I'd give myself a rest after the Invader with these three:

50049807382_5c986152a9_z.jpg

The Airfix is of course well known and, luckily for me, has new decals since I built my last Mk I - VYoG of 85 Sqdn.

The Arma 'standard' set has markings for only two aircraft, one of which is RFoE of 303 Sqdn.

The Expert set has four marking options including RFoR of 303 Sqdn so I'll do that one for a nice Polish pair.

Repeet pleaze…

Still suffering from the heat at the moment (25o at 8am? Good grief) but more later.

• Like 28

I'm here! Actually no I'm not, still distance watching from across the pond... (well, Bristol Channel). :bye: :)

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

but I thought I'd give myself a rest after the Invader with these three:

Three Hurricanes is a rest....??!! 🤣

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’m guilty of neglecting the Hurricane as well which is strange as I like them.  I’ve got a Legato IIc and an Airfix I with AlleyCat metal wing to build this summer as it’s BoB’s 80th.  There are three Arma Is in the stash, but I’m saving those as the others probably wouldn’t get built after trying those.

looking forward to the build, be finished by Wednesday won’t they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Andy G said:

I’m guilty of neglecting the Hurricane as well which is strange as I like them.  I’ve got a Legato IIc and an Airfix I with AlleyCat metal wing to build this summer as it’s BoB’s 80th.  There are three Arma Is in the stash, but I’m saving those as the others probably wouldn’t get built after trying those.

looking forward to the build, be finished by Wednesday won’t they?

Wednesday?

A triple build?

Naaah, Tuesday lunchtime.

• Haha 4

Nice trio. I thinned the trailing edges of the Airfix one but didn’t know at the time to fill in the fabric on the wing to represent the metal sheeting behind the gun covers, still bugs me.

Looking forward to yours!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Front row seat for a Ced B build!

I’m tempted by the Arma offering so sidled by side comparisons will be useful. 

Trevor 

Thanks Trevor :) I had thought about dropping the Airfix but you've made my mind up to carry on.

Welcome Heather, AW, Keith, Andy, John, Mike and Adrian - good to see you :) 

Boxes opened (at the end - ugh) and thrown in the recycling.

Airfix box retrieved when I realised the transfer scheme is on the back :doh:

Fondling commenced.

I have to say that Arma have done a wonderful job on the Hurricane.

A quick look at their website will show all the variants and a large range of AM that really fills a hole in the Hurricane model market (IMHO).

I bought an 'Expert' set and what is now called 'kit' and the part trees look really good:

50049254393_7354be750a_z.jpg

Nice detail for the internal framing:

50050074577_d309d3f314_z.jpg

Signs of the options on the smaller tree and the Expert set's extra bag:

50050076082_bf7751880e_z.jpg

Nice clear canopy with good framing:

50049826941_cd947615fa_z.jpg

We'll see why there are two later I guess.

Handling the trees I was a bit annoyed by the pins that stick out from the bottom (fnaar!).

Then I noticed the holes on top and realised you can do this:

50050079857_a2856deb7c_z.jpg

Presumably that helps during the cooling process and for storage. Neat.

The PE in the Expert set look nice and crisp…

50050084002_fa5301d3bf_z.jpg

and tiny. Groan.

Looking at the instructions there's three pages for both versions but here's a nice touch:

50049834646_7d9f6735fd_z.jpg

The standard kit has templates for canopy masks that replace the Expert masking instructions. Well done Arma for that!

Comparing the transfer sheets you can see the additional options on the Expert set:

50050087297_fee37600c4_z.jpg

Looking at the larger sheet you can see the 'BONUS' set of stencils:

50049837666_285ee44c05_z.jpg

I thought I saw somewhere that you could buy overtrees but I can't see them on the site now. Hmmm. They'll come in handy though I'm sure.

Airfix next.

• Like 15

The by now well known Airfix part trees.

50049893076_89e4d51018_z.jpg

The much discussed fabric wings so I'll be making this OOB.

Oooh look, a pilot! :yahoo:

Nice framing on this kit too:

50050146172_ba9fd61b79_z.jpg

…but notice the gap in the tree at the bottom? I can't see any problems with the parts, thankfully, but perhaps Airfix should adopt the Arma stacking idea?

50049894586_a0e8e53aba_z.jpg

Note the wheels up option - thank you Airfix.

50049895556_5045502612_z.jpg

Nice clear canopy with slightly less defined frames but still good:

50049329763_144c97454e_z.jpg

Finally the transfers:

50050152077_bc335c3051_z.jpg

Am I allowed to use the Arma i/p transfer? I'll ponder.

Assembly starts when it's cooled down a bit.

• Like 17

Ooh Hurricanes. I'll tag along because I've been making quite a lot of Hurricanes recently, although my Arma Hobby MkI is almost irrevocably consigned to the ice cream tub of shame.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

So now you're building them in three? :frantic: :frantic:

There's no stopping you Ced, is there? :D

Anyway, as heretical as it may sound on this forum, I've never had much lurve for the Hurricane, for no particular reason. Let's see if watching this build prompts any change in that :)

(running for cover... :D )

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Nice! My recent re-start into the hobby included an Airfix Hurricane, from the starter kit with the code KW-Z. I found it a nice kit with few problems. They even made it so that you can add the propellor at the end and it still turns :)

• Like 2

Aaaand DANG !! 3 Hurricanes at a time !!

Good man !! 

We gonna have @TheBaron worried about CC and carbon copy.....

Carbon copy of CC, nice acronym !! CCo'CC....

I'm in my friend, Beer at the ready and my own hurricanes peering over my shoulder !!

Here we 've had 32°C but storms yesterday and windy today... However, we're still at 25°

A good one for me...

I hope this pic will help !!

a72ec4adc9fb478471197cc090002e81--retro-ads-vintage-ads

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, CedB said:

We'll see why there are two later I guess

Open and shut, Arma have realised that Hurricane canopies run on curved rails, and flex, so are different shapes when open and closed.

The open one is a bit thick, but a very good effort from them.

Meanwhile, the Airfix canopy is too high, and makes the windscreen the wrong shape.  

I'll swap you some Airfix retracted wheel covers for Arma wheels if you would like? 

Cheers

T

Just now, Biggles87 said:

The Arma example looks particularly good. Do they make one in 1/48?  :dog:

No, but I have suggested this to them ;)

• Like 7

Looking forward to this trio, the Arma hobby Hurricane is a brilliant little kit. In fact I would say it is my ll time favourite 1/72 kit. Unfortunately my eyes and shaky hands weren't up to the job of using all the photo etch. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Then I noticed the holes on top and realised you can do this:

<snip>

Presumably that helps during the cooling process and for storage. Neat.

Typically parts are just ejected and drop into a bin underneath the press. While that works for most molded parts - can you imagine trying to manually untangle a hundred or so parts trees without damaging anything? 

This is just a guess but those features may be more to do with handling.  They could be using a pick & place robot at the press. Those features would allow the robot to pick the tree at mold open and stack bundles of the parts trees together on a table or conveyor which can then be packaged by the operator whenever there's enough in the stack. No entanglement means less damage, lower scrap rate, and less time spent sorting - a lot more efficient!

Also, if final packaging is done elsewhere, that stacking will also aid in shipping.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

…but notice the gap in the tree at the bottom? I can't see any problems with the parts, thankfully,

Looks like you were lucky there Ced - that short shot almost cost you part of the wing.  At least Airfix are consistent with their quality control.  Non existent!

The Arma kits certainly look like much nicer kits overall.  It'll be interesting to see your take on the builds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Woo Hoo thanks to Mike @72modeler for letting me know. Im on the first page again. Now I tagged the follow button again hopefully I wont get booted off by the forum for whatever reason like on your Invader build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Beard said:

Ooh Hurricanes. I'll tag along because I've been making quite a lot of Hurricanes recently, although my Arma Hobby MkI is almost irrevocably consigned to the ice cream tub of shame.

Hi Simon :) What went wrong? Something I should look out for?

5 hours ago, giemme said:

So now you're building them in three? :frantic: :frantic:

There's no stopping you Ced, is there? :D

Anyway, as heretical as it may sound on this forum, I've never had much lurve for the Hurricane, for no particular reason. Let's see if watching this build prompts any change in that :)

(running for cover... :D )

Ciao

I'm guilty of 'ignoring' Hurricanes too Giorgio but I think they deserve more of my time… I bought two Armas to see what the difference is between the 'Expert' and 'Kit' and thought building the new Airfix alongside would be fun. I hope I'm not wrong! :D 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Off you go then Ced, three Hurricanes to build.

I reckon by the end of next week they will be in RFI....

Refreshments arriving soon, plenty of "Coolers".

Simon.

Hi Simon - thanks matey, I can certainly do with a cooler! :D 

4 hours ago, Jur said:

Nice! My recent re-start into the hobby included an Airfix Hurricane, from the starter kit with the code KW-Z. I found it a nice kit with few problems. They even made it so that you can add the propellor at the end and it still turns :)

Thanks Jur :) 

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Aaaand DANG !! 3 Hurricanes at a time !!

Good man !! 

We gonna have @TheBaron worried about CC and carbon copy.....

Carbon copy of CC, nice acronym !! CCo'CC....

I'm in my friend, Beer at the ready and my own hurricanes peering over my shoulder !!

Here we 've had 32°C but storms yesterday and windy today... However, we're still at 25°

A good one for me...

I hope this pic will help !!

[snip pic]

Sincerely.

CC

Copy of CC? Impossible! The pic helped, of course! :D 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Arma example looks particularly good. Do they make one in 1/48?  :dog:

Not yet John - I don't see it on their website. I'm not sure they do anything other than 1/72? :) 

BTW Dyson has arrived and I really like it - cool and quiet - result!

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Open and shut, Arma have realised that Hurricane canopies run on curved rails, and flex, so are different shapes when open and closed.

The open one is a bit thick, but a very good effort from them.

Meanwhile, the Airfix canopy is too high, and makes the windscreen the wrong shape.  

I'll swap you some Airfix retracted wheel covers for Arma wheels if you would like? 

Cheers

T

No, but I have suggested this to them ;)

Hi Troy - glad to have you along and do please chip in with your usual knowledgeable posts :) 

Swapping the retracted covers? What's the chance that they'll fit?

50050847511_1cafc71d61_z.jpg

Wow, that's lucky! Wheel is too far back but, in fact, I think a swap might be essential as the kit parts:

50050286383_ef515b94f1_z.jpg

… won't fit without a lot of pain.

PM inbound!

I'll send the wheels too - they're really nice with little 'Dunlop' printing:

50050266708_092f79b30f_z.jpg

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

Looking forward to this trio, the Arma hobby Hurricane is a brilliant little kit. In fact I would say it is my ll time favourite 1/72 kit. Unfortunately my eyes and shaky hands weren't up to the job of using all the photo etch. 

Thanks Richie :) What's your number 1?

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Typically parts are just ejected and drop into a bin underneath the press. While that works for most molded parts - can you imagine trying to manually untangle a hundred or so parts trees without damaging anything? 

This is just a guess but those features may be more to do with handling.  They could be using a pick & place robot at the press. Those features would allow the robot to pick the tree at mold open and stack bundles of the parts trees together on a table or conveyor which can then be packaged by the operator whenever there's enough in the stack. No entanglement means less damage, lower scrap rate, and less time spent sorting - a lot more efficient!

Also, if final packaging is done elsewhere, that stacking will also aid in shipping.

Looks like you were lucky there Ced - that short shot almost cost you part of the wing.  At least Airfix are consistent with their quality control.  Non existent!

The Arma kits certainly look like much nicer kits overall.  It'll be interesting to see your take on the builds.

Thanks hendie - glad you can add your expertise… Robots eh? Cripes :D 

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Some classic hurricane goodness! Brilliant stuff.

Rob

Hi Rob, good to see you :) 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Woo Hoo thanks to Mike @72modeler for letting me know. Im on the first page again. Now I tagged the follow button again hopefully I wont get booted off by the forum for whatever reason lije on your Invader build. 

Dennis

Welcome Dennis - pleased you found it :) 

More in a minute…

• Like 5

Ced, be careful with the Airfix canopy, the sliding part tends to be a bit fragile along the apex of the roof - don't squeeze it

Nice suggestion from Troy regarding swapping Arma and Airfix parts - I'll try that when I build the Airfix/AlleyCat one as unusually for me that will be wheels down.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the warning Andy - I'll be careful! :) 

@Troy Smith I've tried to PM you but forum says you can't receive messages? Could you PM me your email maybe? Thanks.

So, assembly begins. Hobby Elements Micro-files come in handy for the tank clean up:

50050130578_81101b44be_z.jpg

Sorry. I'll stop showing them off. Soon. Ish.

The tanks are nice but the gate is hard to get off and the flash and dimples are a bit annoying:

50050709416_6f8beb1af8_z.jpg

Top one has been cleaned up and these won't be seen once I retract the u/c so not worried.

Airfix top:

50050989832_9d14098da1_z.jpg

Both are nice eh?

Next step for the 'Expert' is to remove the detail ready for the PE. Note that all this needs to come off, not just the 'knobs':

50050770376_c07017dc91_z.jpg

Ask me how I know :whistle:

With those skimmed off with the Swann Morton #9 I could GG thin the PE on:

50050787436_a4bf641ff3_z.jpg

That's it for now.

• Like 18