It's a Victor!

DAG058

Must admit that looks rather nice I have a little time to work through the stash, trouble is the stash keeps expanding :whistle: still no doubt one of these will suddenly appear in the man cave !!

Guy

Was planning on getting one but seeing that cockpit detail might have to get two so I can use a cockpit for a spaceship I have planned! Prob use the second Victor as a desktop model with a painted out canopy.

Paul Harrison

Only thing that could possibly improve this would be something to hang in the bomb bay - like a bucket of instant sunshine or 35 x 1000lb bombs. Still...............................!!!!! Not complaining. :wow:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

Only thing that could possibly improve this would be something to hang in the bomb bay - like a bucket of instant sunshine or 35 x 1000lb bombs. Still...............................!!!!! Not complaining. :wow:

Allan

Its too early to tell Allan, we can see the Bomb Bay is detailed so optional fit to the Blue Steel, you never know they may do a V-Force Bomber support set, with the suitable bomb loads, cradles, trolleys and support vehicles !

• Like 6

Its too early to tell Allan, we can see the Bomb Bay is detailed so optional fit to the Blue Steel, you never know they may do a V-Force Bomber support set, with the suitable bomb loads, cradles, trolleys and support vehicles !

That would be nice indeed, especially if the support vehicles included a Beagle Basset for ferrying the crews

• Like 5

Fair comment. Maybe I am jumping the gun a bit!! :lol: . It would however be a shame to have a nicely detailed bomb bay with nothing to hang in it!!

Allan

Well that looks rather nice doesn't it ! I like the way the spars have been done, rather like the original and the level of detail looks superb........looking forward to receiving one, (or three).

Its too early to tell Allan, we can see the Bomb Bay is detailed so optional fit to the Blue Steel,

True Geoff. With the images showing the bomb bay air flow deflector gills open and the doors rolled back in one detail shot it points towards a standard bomber configuration, (they were closed on the Blue Steel aircraft), so hopefully the choice will be there to add weapons and/or an SR.2 photo crate..

61_zpst52xy70l.jpg

Yeap I noticed the deflectors and the fwd bomb bay, I also noticed we only had selected sprues so we don't know as yet if any bomb load options are included as yet (or not as the case maybe). The fact the bay is detailed does indicate its possible to load up so that's why I speculated on a possible support set which could be used with the Valiant (We just need a similar detailed Vulcan to complete the trio !!!!!) We'll just have to await further news snippets in the future when the review test shots become public.

Still its one to look forward too and good to see the feedback being worked in to refine and correct the kit.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one. I seldom buy new releases...but I think this will be an exception along w/ AMK's upcoming F-14.

I love Cold War era aircraft. It's been a happy return to the hobby so far.

• 2 months later...

Anyone preordered their Victor yet? I reckon I'll buy one, then have £55 worth of cardboard and plastic tucked away in a cupboard for the next 15 years, as I'll be too scared to start it.

• Like 4

Anyone preordered their Victor yet? I reckon I'll buy one, then have £55 worth of cardboard and plastic tucked away in a cupboard for the next 15 years, as I'll be too scared to start it.

Sounds familiar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have pre ordered my Victor, but tried to buy a Valiant and sad to see none available at sensible prices.

I did send an email to Airfix but the reply was nonplans to re issue at present.

Miffed I didn't buy one earlier. :-(

Yes, I've pre-ordered one from Airfix, plus one from Hattons as the price was too good to miss. I do worry about myself sometimes.

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/victor-updates-and-handsome-ole-bill/

Scheme Updates for the new 1/72nd scale Airfix Victor B.2

a12008_victor_1.jpg

As if one exclusive scheme announcement wasn't enough, here comes another!

Announced at last year’s IMPS Scale Model World show at Telford, the new Handley Page Victor B.2 is an impressive addition to the Airfix range, with a great many modellers very much looking forward to pushing this kit to the front of their current build schedule. As Britain’s last V-Bomber, the Victor was certainly a futuristic looking aircraft and could quite easily be described as one of the most distinctive aircraft to be produced by the British aviation industry – it is certainly amongst the most important post war aircraft to enter RAF service.

Almost as soon as the Victor B.1 aircraft began to roll off the production line, Handley Page started development work on an upgraded ‘Super Victor’, which would incorporate a number of significant improvements and result in the definitive B.2 version of the aircraft. These Victors were capable of carrying the new ‘Blue Steel’ nuclear stand-off missile, which was housed in a semi-recessed position under the fuselage of the Victor, with the missile adopting a distinctive nose down attitude. These white anti-flash Victors were arguably Britain’s most distinctive nuclear deterrent aircraft of the Cold War period, before the RAF relinquished this significant responsibility to the submarines of the Royal Navy.

The flexibility of the Victor design was to see the aircraft significantly outlast both the Valiant and Vulcan in RAF service, but its original bomber configuration had been traded for that of an airborne tanker aircraft. Seeing operational service during the Falklands War of 1982 and the Gulf War of 1991, the Victor tankers proved to be invaluable assets to the Royal Air Force, until their final withdrawal from service in 1993. The Handley Page Victor takes its place in British aviation history as one of our nuclear deterrent V-force peacekeepers of the Cold War period – its distinctive looks and relatively long service history dictates that it must also be considered as one of the most successful aircraft of its type and emerge from the shadow of the Avro Vulcan.

Victor B.2 Scheme Option 1

ImageT4.jpg

Distinctive profile artwork of Blue Steel equipped Victor B.2 XL512

ImageV2.jpg

Full Airfix decoration guide for Wittering based V-Bomber XL512

Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2(BS), XL512, RAF No.139 Squadron, Wittering, Cambridgeshire, 1963-64

Royal Air Force Wittering would prove to be a significant airfield in the history of the Handley Page Victor and Britain’s independent nuclear deterrent force. In February 1962, the first Victor B.2 squadron (No.139 Squadron) was formed at Wittering, replacing the earlier Vickers Valiants that were retired due to the discovery of fatigue cracks in wing spar components. Wittering based Victors were the first to be equipped with the Blue Steel missile, which was Britain’s air launched nuclear stand-off missile and formed the basis of the nation’s nuclear deterrent force until around 1970 and effectively helped to ensure an uneasy peace in Europe during its service life.

During the dark days of the Cold War, RAF Wittering and their Victors were to play a vital role in maintaining Britain’s strategic nuclear deterrent force. Until January 1969, two squadrons of Victor B.2 bombers equipped with Blue Steel missiles were part of the Quick Reaction Alert force of the RAF – two nuclear armed aircraft were permanently on a state of operational readiness to react to any nuclear threat. Parked within 100m of the runway threshold, the aircraft were stationed on the Operational Readiness Platform and if they were manned, they could be airborne in a matter of seconds. This was designed to counter a potential Soviet missile threat and was built around the knowledge that from first detection to potential impact, RAF crews would have a maximum of four minutes to respond – thankfully, this thinking was never put to the test.

As was the case with a number of former Blue Steel equipped Victors, XL512 was to later provide tanker support for the famous ‘Black Buck’ raids of the Falklands War.

Victor B.2 Scheme Option 2

ImageW2.jpg

Handley Page Victor B.2 XL189 profile artwork

ImageX2.jpg

The second decoration guide included with the forthcoming Handley Page Victor B.2 release A12008

Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2(BS), XL189, Victor Training Flight, Royal Air Force Wittering, Cambridgeshire, 1968

Handley Page Victor XL189 first entered RAF service with No.232 Operational Conversion Unit in early November 1961, but was soon back with Handley Page for conversion to B.2R (Retrofit) standard. She returned to service as part of the Wittering Wing, where she would provide invaluable support for the crews charged with manning Britain’s Blue Steel equipped nuclear deterrent force. The scheme displayed above is interesting, as it confirms that not all Blue Steel equipped Victors were painted in the anti-flash white scheme we are all so familiar with.

Following later conversion to K.2 tanker configuration, XL189 was also one of the Victors to provide tanker support to the ‘Black Buck’ raids of the 1982 Falklands War and proved the flexibility of the original Handley Page design. She was to end her days as a ground instructional airframe at RAF Waddington and despite the fact that she served during the Falklands conflict and famous ‘Black Buck’ Vulcan XM607 was already preserved at Waddington, Victor XL189 was unceremoniously scrapped in August 1989.

The beautiful new Airfix Victor B.2 model is already one of the most eagerly anticipated kits in the history of the company and modellers all over the world are desperately waiting for their opportunity to get their hands on one. The model is scheduled for an early November arrival but as always, we urge everyone to keep checking the Airfix website for the very latest release information – this one is going to be popular, so you don’t want to miss out on making sure your example is in the first consignment.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

So where's the Wittering Lion for scheme B?

IMO this 'centralised servicing' era of the late 1960's is pretty bland at the best of times, however offering a scheme from a 'Training' flight would hardly seem fitting for such a large kit with a great big ballistic missle slung underneath it!!

It would have been better to just offer both 139 and 100 sqd all white versions with full serials, but surely a pair of yellow lions would not have been too much to ask for - would it?

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

IMO this 'centralised servicing' era of the late 1960's is pretty bland at the best of times, however offering a scheme from a 'Training' flight would hardly seem fitting for such a large kit with a great big ballistic missle slung underneath it!!

Right?

It would have been better to just offer both 139 and 100 sqd all white versions with full serials, but surely a pair of yellow lions would not have been too much to ask for - would it?

Cheers.. Dave

I disagree about having two white schemes for the kit options, I personally welcome the camouflaged option however, where I do agree with you is that the camouflage option chosen is pretty bland! I can't believe there's no options out there for a camouflaged B.2(BS) without unit markings (even if it's only the station crest)!

The two 'all white' options was just me being a tad silly, however allowing the modeller (me again) to choose between at least two 'service' machines rather than a training aircraft.

I just cannot believe that this kit's decal sheet will duplicate all national insignia, serials and stencils in both pale and full colour - and not go that extra centimetre to include a Wittering Lion.

Is it too late to amend Scheme B, without compromising this kit's release date?

Cheers.. Dave

It's because for most of the time the D rounded camo was worn unit markings where not allowed by the RAF and later they where brought back in the 70s I believe.

White ones tend to have more variations in unit markings. Early camo tend to be just that. But each will have its own slight variation. In camo patterns :)

I'm happy with what's on offer and this day and age knowing about how expensive these are to tool from when I was working with Dapol. £55 is fair :). (Even if I wish they was cheaper)

Edited by robvulcan

Might be a training round? :winkgrin::lol:

Allan

• Like 1

. £55 is fair :). (Even if I wish they was cheaper)

£55 is still an amount which causes pause for thought but when compared with, say, a Hasegawa P3 at £70 or Neptune at £45, both kits approaching 50 years old then, relatively speaking, this is a snip. Plus, we are probably keeping a large proportion of that money within the country rather than most of it to another. What we used to call 'Wooden Dollars' where one department in a company 'paid' another but only on paper. Unless the Hornby shareholders are all in Switzerland!

Looking at that, not the best analogy but you get the idea.

Nige B

• Like 2