It's a Victor!

DAG058

They may have been kitted by Fujimi and Hasegawa but that is hardly the point. The Hasegawa kit for example is long out of production and, even if you do find one, they are currently going for totally silly second hand prices. Availability of the Fujimi kits is patchy at best and, they are also quite often going for silly second hand prices. In addition, I am loathe to quote an old cliché but, they make no money for Airfix. Using the argument that "Why?, The Spey Phantom has been perfectly well kitted by ...................." is not really an argument at all. You could equally use that argument to say that Airfix should not make Spitfires because they have already been kitted perfectly well by Tamifujigawacademy.

Allan

May I reiterate Mikes post: :offtopic: Firstly, can we knock off the Phantom chatter in the Victor thread please? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Same here. I think I'll start looking at 144th for V bombers, I could probably get a 144th Victor and Valliant for £55.

But you always have to remember price is relative: If you wanted a 72 Victor and there was no alternatives you'd be happy to pay £55 for a resin 72nd Victor with excellent fit, detail and decent decals.

But I am glad we'll have a decent Victor on the market and I like the fact it's a B2. We are indeed in the golden age of modelling and it seems to be getting more golden each day... :)

True. I do have a Matchbox tanker hanging in my house, hose trailing of course with Lightning just behind, and I am tempted to carry on with a plan I had to convert the remaining one in the stash to a B Mk2 , using a spare Blue Steel from a Vulcan. I think that would give me more satisfaction than a high cost new Victor - not sure my skills warrant a £55 one. I think the Matchbox one cost me £8.

I believe I do have a 1/144 Victor somewhere, desperately in need of a refurbish. Sadly my Frog 1/96th died lang syne.

Nonetheless, 'tis a golden age - and so as not to annoy Twowheels or Mike I shan't say what I'd really like to see from Airfix !

I spoke to one of the stand reps today, expressing the concerns raised here about the intake shapes

First response I got was yes I read some of those on BM myself, what do they think is the BIG ISSUE?

I explained the intake query and whether actual real further tweaking could/would happen in the light of these remarks in the forums, emphasising we had 'expert opinion' to back up the questions

The guy who is sure to be reading this and all the other comments pointed out that the 3D model was released to obtain just such comment and that the team value our input

I am sure there will be any tweaking required before steel is cut and the model released in November

I have to say that this iteration of the Airfix brand suits me to the ground, it's time to save up for next November

• Like 4

I was so excited to see the new Victor and would take one as is. I too was unsure about the lower intake lip I need to look more but think the lower one needs to be dropped a little,

But the more I look and im not so sure

Trouble is after years of looking at the inaccurate (but still very nice) matchbox your eyes can get used to seeing it in a different way.

I am sure the Pit Road GWH kit got it right however so something like that would be worth a look.

Can't wait for this Kit I will be making quite a few of them and hope they can desighn the kit to have plugs to offer the B1 wing and the 3 various tail styles if they could scan Duxfords. However this is very very welcome a dream coming true :)

• Like 2

That Victor looks the mutt's and yes I will be getting one (or two!).

I noticed that the rear tail-plane fairing has the twin stern light set-up which was a feature only of post-Falklands era K.2s with RWR fairings. Small point I know and yes I do realise this is just an SLS mock-up but it is evident in the CAD renders (along with the re-located exhaust from that fairing - can't remember what it's for now and the two refuelling floodlights either side of the tail bumper!) and since this and the moulds will ultimately come from the same CAD files it's worthy of note, I feel. All easily rectified mid you.

All the same, loving it, well chuffed and to me those intakes look pretty much on the money! Roll on Nov '16!

Thanks Airfix!

ATB
Rick

• Like 2

I had a chuckle when I was at the Airfix stand admiring the Victor when a person came up and said to one of the young guys jokingly that the guys on the Revell stand had said that their new releases/stuff was a bit lame(can't use the correct word) to which he replied 'sorry who are Revell' the chap said again and got the same reply.

• Like 2

A new Victor is great news lets hope a Vulcan joins it ! £55 is a bit steep but no doubt I will get one, loads of time to save the penny's !

Guy

Same here. I think I'll start looking at 144th for V bombers, I could probably get a 144th Victor and Valliant for £55.

But you always have to remember price is relative: If you wanted a 72 Victor and there was no alternatives you'd be happy to pay £55 for a resin 72nd Victor with excellent fit, detail and decent decals.

But I am glad we'll have a decent Victor on the market and I like the fact it's a B2. We are indeed in the golden age of modelling and it seems to be getting more golden each day... :)

Price is always going to be a very subjective issue but, I think it is also a valid issue because it will of course be the determining factor for many of us. As a responsible company, Airfix will of course have pitched this at a level sufficient to cover costs and, make a reasonable profit. Nobody should have a problem with this as, it makes perfect business sense. Of course, we have the inevitable choice - to buy or not to buy. I was a bit surprised at the suggested r r p for this kit which I also consider to on the high side for my very restricted budget and, I do wonder if it will have a detrimental effect on sales. However, £55 is within my self imposed limit for individual kit purchases so,I have pre ordered two on the assumption that the price is not yet set in stone and, that there will be some pre-availability discounting (Airfix Club members already get a fiver knocked off!). If retailers offer a better discount then I will just switch orders. Also, I suggest that once the initial rush has died down, these kits will be available at a lower price so, it might be worth waiting a few months. I am just delighted that we now have a modern tool Victor B2 - the FIRST release so, we have other variants to look forward to. Presumably a tanker and, hopefully a B1 (although I think this will require an almost complete new/separate tool because of the differences between the types?)

As Foghorn Leghorn says - truly a golden age of modelling! :thumbsup:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

Well, I'm excited by the news. I'm definitely looking forward to this and hopefully a K.2 shortly after its release. And being November of next year, that means plenty of time to save for it!

• Like 3

Of course I've not long finished a B2 - and they bring one out.

In the bomber stash I had the old Blenheim, Fly Whitley, Frog Shackleton

Now what else am I working on.........

Ah - that'll be a Hampden then :hmmm:

• Like 7

Price is always going to be a very subjective issue but, I think it is also a valid issue because it will of course be the determining factor for many of us. As a responsible company, Airfix will of course have pitched this at a level sufficient to cover costs and, make a reasonable profit. Nobody should have a problem with this as, it makes perfect business sense. Of course, we have the inevitable choice - to buy or not to buy. I was a bit surprised at the suggested r r p for this kit which I also consider to on the high side for my very restricted budget and, I do wonder if it will have a detrimental effect on sales. However, £55 is within my self imposed limit for individual kit purchases so,I have pre ordered two on the assumption that the price is not yet set in stone and, that there will be some pre-availability discounting (Airfix Club members already get a fiver knocked off!). If retailers offer a better discount then I will just switch orders. Also, I suggest that once the initial rush has died down, these kits will be available at a lower price so, it might be worth waiting a few months. I am just delighted that we now have a modern tool Victor B2 - the FIRST release so, we have other variants to look forward to. Presumably a tanker and, hopefully a B1 (although I think this will require an almost complete new/separate tool because of the differences between the types?)

Allan

The market will dictate the price to some degree in the end, I've seen a number of releases this year with high initial prices that drop very quickly after the first few months, Eduard kits in particular and look at the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Wait out the urge to be the first and save a few pounds later

• Like 1

A new Victor B2, and with a Blue Steel. My wish list is getting shorter by the month thanks to Airfix. I'm glad it's going to be a while before its release mind you. Still haven't saved up for the Shackleton.

• Like 1

Victor B2 - the FIRST release so, we have other variants to look forward to. Presumably a tanker and, hopefully a B1 (although I think this will require an almost complete new/separate tool because of the differences between the types?)

Allan

It actually should be quite easy to do a B1. The fuselage is the same I am told. The fin roots are different but as there are 2 types for the B2 it should be easy to engineer a optional part here, The wings are totally different but if designed in the right way they could easily scan Duxfords and offer all versions of the Victor. same goes for tail cones thats an easy optional part again.

I am just glad the V force is finally getting some good recognition. Its a long time coming. So glad its a bomber version Tankers are ok but I much prefer a bomber. :)

• Like 1

The market will dictate the price to some degree in the end, I've seen a number of releases this year with high initial prices that drop very quickly after the first few months, Eduard kits in particular and look at the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Wait out the urge to be the first and save a few pounds later

A very fair point Colin. For that particular reason (and also because I am currently seeking gainful employment) my finances will not quite stretch to a Shackleton. So, I will wait a few months for the prices to drop. With the Victor being a year away, I have no problem with pre-ordering at the suggested r r p. I recently received the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon as a retirement gift. It was priced at £74.99! I hope Airfix can also give us a B1/K1 but, given the physical differences between the B1/B2 I wonder if it might be feasible to use the existing B2 with alternate parts ?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

It actually should be quite easy to do a B1. The fuselage is the same I am told. The fin roots are different but as there are 2 types for the B2 it should be easy to engineer a optional part here, The wings are totally different but if designed in the right way they could easily scan Duxfords and offer all versions of the Victor. same goes for tail cones thats an easy optional part again.

I am just glad the V force is finally getting some good recognition. Its a long time coming. So glad its a bomber version Tankers are ok but I much prefer a bomber. :)

Answers my question nicely Rob. Thanks for the info. I had originally thought a major re-tool would be needed. Then I remembered you could produce a B1 using the Matchbox kit and, Flightpath conversion set!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

I think £55 is reasonable given its a new tooling that will offer a super accurate tooling being scanned from the real deal. Full bay interior and a whole load of detail you would not get on the Matchbox. By comparative terms that in the 90s you could get a Vulcan or Victor for around £17 its about the same price considering how money works.

So I would say its a Bargain. I guess the price will come down over time once the Molds have been paid for. A first run from a new tooling is always going to be the important one for a company.

I for one will be supporting this kit and Airfix 100% + I am very Glad Pit Road give us a wonderful 1/144 kit but Over the moon that we will have the first ever 1/72 Bomber Victor Kit its a dream come true.

I believe apart from Frog ,kader and Lindberg who made a B1 and Prototype versions all the other kits we have ever been offered not have been K2s be it Vac , Resin or Injection. (Except welsh maybe)

Its amazing that its taken till the last 12 months for a Bomber B2 to be recognized. The History of the Falklands seems to sadly overshadow the History of the V force.

Cant wait for November !

• Like 2

£55 for a BIG kit, both physically and with the amount of work and parts that appear to be going into it. Not at all unreasonable. It might be unaffordable due to your budget/circumstances/tightness/ridiculous lack of touch with the cost of things these days, but not unreasonable. These people have families to feed, taxes to pay, and shareholders to give dividends to. If you check the register, you'll not find Hornby listed as a charity :wicked:

• Like 13

£55 for a BIG kit, both physically and with the amount of work and parts that appear to be going into it. Not at all unreasonable. It might be unaffordable due to your budget/circumstances/tightness/ridiculous lack of touch with the cost of things these days, but not unreasonable. These people have families to feed, taxes to pay, and shareholders to give dividends to. If you check the register, you'll not find Hornby listed as a charity :wicked:

Bang on the Money Mike. Hornby have raised the Bar very much with not only Railways but now Airfix and Incredible company that deserves all I would say. :)

• Like 1

£55 for a new tool is good, especially as it's not a small kit!

Compare a new tool Victor to the new tool Mach2 Argosy, I paid £45 for a Mach2 Argosy at the weekend which will be a smaller kit, harder to build, won't fit as well, decals won't be as good, lacking of detail in certain areas, canopy needs a good polish and the sprues are 20% flash... for £10 more, I think it's a great deal.

• Like 7

Re Victor price (and I'm posting this purely as an observation, not as a critique of BMers comments on price)

How much bigger is a Victor as opposed to a Shackleton? The Airfix Shack is £40, so the Victor is virtually 40% more expensive but it's not 40% bigger. Possibly the Victor tooling is more complicated?

And I would guess the Victor has a wider appeal therefore bigger sales. I'd kind of understand it if the prices were reversed, as the Shack has all that internal detail and a colourful decal sheet. In fact I thought the Airfix Shackleton was underpriced for what it was.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn