Airfix Spitfire IIa 1/72

After finishing Von Werras’ 109 Link , I thought I’d better even the score by doing a British classic.

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IIa. Kit’s decals used purely for the fact that a lot of lads at work go fishing down in Warmwell close to where 118 squadron was based at the time.

WP_20161102_19_58_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20161102_19_57_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20161102_19_56_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20161102_19_58_07_Pro.jpg

Most of the panel lines were made less prominent with a coat of filler and I used 3D kits prop/seat, and homebrew plasticard gubbins to liven up the cockpit. Bit of a waste as very little can be seen once buttoned up.

WP_20160925_22_25_14_Proa.jpg

WP_20161009_19_09_17_Pro.jpg

Still, this one’s only my second kit after many years of modelling abstinence, so it’s all practice. Vallejo’s new ‘RAF colours BoB’ set used with the exception of an overspray on the brown with good old Aeromaster as the Vallejo brown looked off to me. I was a bit too heavy on the underside panel line wash (homemade designers gouache/watercolour mix). A few other cock-ups, but at least I didn’t put in a red crowbar.:P

Mart

• Like 44

Nice looking model, Mart. You did a fine job trying to get those panel lines dialed back a bit. Nice job on the photography too- good choice of background.

Do you ever wonder how many more models would get finished, if people stopped adding detail where it would never be seen?

-d-

1 hour ago, David H said:

Do you ever wonder how many more models would get finished, if people stopped adding detail where it would never be seen?

Wash your mouth out, and go sit in the corner young man!:winkgrin:

That way madness lies....

Mart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

During building this kit I noticed how the walkway decals interfered with the landing gear indicator on the wings. To avoid problems during decalling one have to cut the walkway lines i two parts. 

It is an good idea also to start with the walkway decals before appluying the roundels.

By taking meassure of this when the decals are dry one can avoid problems during decalling and get everything on the right place.

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

Arise forgotten thread….ARISE!

ZTIiXby.jpg

12 hours ago, Andre B said:

interfered with the landing gear indicator

Yes, I fudged it a bit when it came to the walkway decaling, starting off a couple of mm from the wing root to avoid the gear indicator. Next time I build one I’ll definitely cut the decal in two.

l8d6YZt.jpgEewww! Yuck! Super close up.:D

Mart

• Like 1