DHC-2 Beaver Gunship (Royal Lao Air Force, Thakhek West “Lima Site 40”, Laos, 1965)

Well that's certainly something special!

I'd never heard of a gunship DHC Beaver and yours looks great - well done. I like the reddish dust sprayed up under the fuselage too; very effective 

• Like 1

Really well done. I also never heard of gunship/ bomber Beaver. I wouldn't want to fly it either. I imagine it was highly vulnerable to ground fire. Although I'd love to add some DHc2 time in my logbook.

The Airfix kit is still nice and the work you put into it really brings it up to date.

It really looks like the photo.

• Like 1

Brilliant Patrick! a subject I heard about but never found any pic`s of. You`ve done a stunning job on it too

• Like 1

What an interesting subject, great conversion from the original kit, and unique choice of markings!

I have only one objection: the area around Thakhek is completely flat, so the palm-lined hills on the first three pictures are a little bit out of place!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noelh said:

Really well done. I also never heard of gunship/ bomber Beaver. I wouldn't want to fly it either. I imagine it was highly vulnerable to ground fire. Although I'd love to add some DHc2 time in my logbook.

The Airfix kit is still nice and the work you put into it really brings it up to date.

It really looks like the photo.

The US had a program that investigated small gunships like Beaver, Cessna 0-2 and Pilatus Porter with weapons like a side firing 20 mm gatling gun. There is a detailed magazine article and online report, neither of which I can find at the moment. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments!

14 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

I like the reddish dust sprayed up under the fuselage too; very effective 

Actually, I used some pigments for this dusting effect: simple to use and, as you say, very effective.

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I have only one objection: the area around Thakhek is completely flat, so the palm-lined hills on the first three pictures are a little bit out of place!

Very true Roman; I used a slightly “greener” background, as it makes it easier to photograph a dark green subject.

1 hour ago, dcrfan said:

The US had a program that investigated small gunships like Beaver, Cessna 0-2 and Pilatus Porter with weapons like a side firing 20 mm gatling gun.

Indeed, I have the Pilatus Porter in my stash for such a future build!

Thanks again all, comments much appreciated 👍

Patrick

• Like 2

You have done a really great job on converting this to an armed Beaver.  Looks wonderful.  You might have a look at this website:  https://greydynamics.com/air-america-the-history-of-cias-covert-airline/.  Down at the bottom of the article is a picture of interest showing rockets mounted on the wing.

• Like 1

Beautifully done, truly inspirational work on this!  How did you thin the cowling walls uniformly?  I assume you did the thinning from the outside.  As for the weapon, you've mounted an M-60D, which is more accurate for door-mounted armament of the period, not a .50 caliber.  I assume the 7.62 would have been effective in any chance aerial encounter with AN-2 COLTs, too.

As for this:  https://greydynamics.com/air-america-the-history-of-cias-covert-airline/. , it contains numerous factual errors, such as misspelling a former CIA director's name, mistaking a smoke-rocket carrying O-2 for something else, and misidentifying the location of the Saigon evacuation photo, but still conveys a good message about lack of accountability and oversight--hopefully since resolved!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done, truly inspirational work on this!  How did you thin the cowling walls uniformly?  I assume you did the thinning from the outside. 

Thanks! Actually, I thinned the engine cowling from the inside: using a rolled up piece of sanding paper gave good control of the sanding process.

Regards,

Patrick

• Thanks 1

I first thought that it was a rare Russ pic, but nooooooo! Excellent choice of subject. cheers.

• Like 1