de Havilland Mosquito Mk.XVIII 'Tsetse'

Mosquito Mk.XVIII NT225 'O' 248 Sqn flown by Flying Officer William Cosman, DFC,  (RCAF) and Flying Officer L. M. Freedman, navigator.

Kit - Airfix 1/72 'new tool' 399 released in 1972

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1504&authkeFlying Officer Cosman and Flying Officer Freedman flew this plane in Ops during 1944 and were sadly lost in an engagement with Fw 190s near Gossen on 7 December 1944.

A fuller account of their Ops in NT225, and details of the Mk.XVIII, is included in an article published in 2016 in THE OBSERVAIR (newsletter of the Ottawa Chapter, Canadian Aviation Historical Society).

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1704&authkeAbove is the finished article.

This is how it looked last October when retrieved from the 'box of doom' in the loft;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1495&authkeThe kit I made in 1972,

The WIP of the rebuild is here;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1703&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1702&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1701&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1705&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1699&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1698&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1697&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1696&authke

Thanks for looking,

Charlie

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Great work Charlie 👍this is one of my favourite Airfix kits, which still looks great when afforded the care and attention you've given it. 

Well done. 

• Thanks 1

I admire what you’ve done here Charlie, it looks amazing!

Where a lot of people would probably have binned it, you’ve managed to greatly improve it.

“Vesuvius sir, Vesuvius!”

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I can hardly believe what you have achieved. I my little world this is just impossible and yet you have pulled it off.

One of the key things wrong with the original model is the Canopy, specifically the windscreen. Replacing that item, works wonders for the look of the model. Along with your other refinements, you have elevated the model from a crude toy to a piece of art.

Hats off and 3 cheers...

/Finn

• Thanks 1

Charlie,

That's a great result and a credit to your patience and perseverance,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

What a rewarding result Charlie. Congratulations on a fine recovery, she’s turned out absolutely brilliant. 

Cheers and well (re) modelled.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Super job Charlie. I'd imagine resurrecting this was an even more satisfying build than straight out of the box. Great job on that canopy too, vacform canopies are always challenging. 

It makes me want to build the kit! 

:goodjob:

Rich

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Turned out nice there Charlie!

Thanks Dave - not too bad for an old kit. And thanks again for your invaluable help with the cockpit details.

17 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Charlie 👍this is one of my favourite Airfix kits, which still looks great when afforded the care and attention you've given it.

Many thanks Greg. I've certainly had my money's worth out of this Airfix kit!

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking Mossie Charlie,  great restoration work and all the extras too.  Looks absolutely fantastic.

Cheers Chris! Your support on the way was always an encouragement!

17 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I admire what you’ve done here Charlie, it looks amazing!

Where a lot of people would probably have binned it, you’ve managed to greatly improve it.

Thanks Jeff. One of the few from my earlier modelling years to survive. I wish there were more.

15 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

One of the key things wrong with the original model is the Canopy, specifically the windscreen. Replacing that item, works wonders for the look of the model.

Thanks Finn, you're most kind. The Falcon canopy certainly makes a difference. The original is so thick it's like looking through the bottom of a bottle, no wonder Airfix didn't bother with cockpit details.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A brilliant rebuild.

Thanks Pete!

14 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Stunning restoration, great work! 

Thank you @wellsprop

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

patience and perseverance,

Which nearly gave out when the first paint job went wrong! Thanks for your support Roger!

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

An absolute pleasure to watch this coming back to life.

Many thanks Alistair, glad you liked it.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What a rewarding result Charlie. Congratulations on a fine recovery, she’s turned out absolutely brilliant. 

Cheers and well (re) modelled.. Dave

Thanks Dave! A different sort build of for sure, but I still managed to turn it into one my obsessive 'must get it right' builds. And there are still things I could have done better and mistakes. Such is modelling. But very pleased with the end result.

2 hours ago, RichG said:

It makes me want to build the kit!

Thanks for your kind words Rich. It's a kit certainly worth trying if you aren't put off by it's age and limitations. It was well received at the time as an accurate Mossie.

2 hours ago, IanC said:

A wonderful restoration indeed.

Thank you Ian.

Charlie

• Like 3

On 1/9/2024 at 3:45 PM, keith in the uk said:

Brilliant save , the old saying Never throw anything away comes to mind .

Thanks Keith!

On 1/9/2024 at 5:05 PM, woody37 said:

That's what I'd called a WIN! superb restoration

Cheers Neil!

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Excellent job indeed on that restoration! I have a few old models I'd like to send you for that treatment!

Thank you, it was great fun, but I must make some progress with the stash (185 and still going up :unsure:)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Thank you, it was great fun, but I must make some progress with the stash (185 and still going up :unsure:)

You're welcome! Only 185? You have plenty of time to work on my 'repair' jobs! In terms of my stash, I have to use scientific notation, like 10100.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:11 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful Mossie, I still want a TseTse in my collection. I must have a thing for planes with big guns, as I have s B-25H and plan on more. No pun or double entendre intended by the way.

Thanks Dennis! Although not on a par with the Tamiya Mossies, the old Airfix Mk.XVIII still can make a good model.

11 hours ago, opus999 said:

That is beautiful!  What a terrific restoration!

Many thanks for your kind words!

• Like 1