Douglas C-124 Globemaster II Airmodel 1/72

kalle

Wow!!

That is a beautiful piece of work!
Never have tackled a vac-formed subject myself, but I can appreciate the hard work, skill & perseverance that goes into one.

Especially a big unit like this.  👏👏👏👏

I can visualise the imposing bulk of this model when I look at my 1/72 DC-4 (surely a relative of your Globemaster II?). 👌😎

13 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  This is really a masterwork.  Would you mind please taking a portrait of this beast with a smaller aircraft positioned close by so we can get a sense of the true size of this mammoth?  

Thoughts of throwing it away were only before starting, because after my several vacu builds, I looked at this kit in the box and it seemed that I couldn't get started with it. Crooked and miserable and in every sense worse vacu that I have. I also considered replacing it with an Anigrand resin kit, but I really didn't want to pay that money. But since I liked the plane, I decided to give to this Airmodel kit a try anyway. As is often the normal case with vacu, all the smaller details were missing, or were unusable. In addition to that, the more I studied the pictures of the real plane, the more errors in large details came out. However, once the construction had started, I knew for sure that it could not be left unfinished. I am adding here two pictures of the kit parts, which did not call for construction at all:)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Kk

Edited by kalle
  • Like 3

Oh, what a horror story!  I grew up in a circle of military veterans, one of whom was a former navigator on, among other aircraft, "Old Shaky."  The navigator told me that during one C-124 flight he was in his bunk  behind the cockpit, only to be awoken suddenly by the shrill noise of an electric fan--which the pilot used as a kind of "klaxon" to warn crew of danger.  The navigator told me that in his groggy state, he realized he was lying against the padded ceiling, and the plane was in a dive!  Fortunately, the pilot was able to arrest the descent and recover the aircraft safely.  His story was almost as terrifying as that from a former C-130 pilot who was sole survivor of a crash at sea because (at the time) he was asleep on a bunk in the rear of the cargo compartment, only to find himself suddenly immersed in water.

• Like 1

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. It’s fantastic to see kits like these being built and from another fan of ‘bumps in plastic’ I know the pain you’ve been through to get this result. 

And it just goes to show what basic kits can be made into with a skilled pair of hands - congratulations on completing a superb model!

• Like 1

If the pictures above of the raw vacuform sheets are any indication of the quality of the rest of the parts you used, I am even more impressed with the finished product.  I've only tackled on vacuform kit in my time and it looks great from about 5 feet away, in the dark, behind other assembled kits, by people with coke bottle lenses in their glasses.  Just a really fine looking build of this very large transport.  Thanks for sharing and congrats for finishing it.