453rd BG Museum Build - USAAF Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk I (from the Airfix 1/48 Mk I) - FINISHED

Fritag

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Can I negotiate for the end of next week now?

Just this once, and just because it's you.... :rofl:

Nice cockpit,  BTW :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was going to make some comment on how all that lovely detail, especially the winch, won't be seen once you've closed up but then I realised…

Pot, kettle :D 

Still stunning.

• Haha 9

I was sat at my bench attempting to scratch an engine today. Well actually more just cursing my clumsy fingers and my new found inability to accurately measure anything and wishing I had a 3d printer. Then I read this update. Hhhmmmmm, 3d printing. I like it a lot! Producing all those sublime details in 1/72 scale has my mind truly boggled. I'm looking forward to the end of next week to see the next installment!

Richie

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Astounding work, as usual. And apologies for not responding sooner - I am currently attempting to see if I can source some winch images for you. Will keep you in the loop, as they say!

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, RichieW said:

cursing my clumsy fingers and my new found inability to accurately measure anything and wishing I had a 3d printer.

Sound like me a little over a year ago Richie - (which for the avoidance of doubt carries no implication of having scratch building skills in any way approaching yours :D)

On 4/22/2023 at 6:43 PM, AndyL said:

And apologies for not responding sooner - I am currently attempting to see if I can source some winch images for you

Dip in and out if ever and whenever suits you Andy; it's just a pleasure to have you along.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, giemme said:

Wrong Terry, he did clearly state "end of next week".... :devil: :rofl:

Oh the pressure...

Anyway.  I have stolen some bench time this week whilst supposedly working.

Well not so much bench time as desk time seeing as I've squirrelled a certain amount of modelling accoutrements away in my study cupboard to be whipped out and used when boredom with the law reaches the point that a diversion is required...

So the first diversionary activity was to create a couple of canvas bags for the operator's sidewalls.  This gave me an excuse to dip back into the Fusion 'forms' environment and play about with modelling T-Spline bodies.  Something that them as know what they're talking about in CAD such as Johnny @The Spadgent do effortlessly but which the muppets amongst us have yet to master have much of a clue about.

Anyways.  Start (and sometimes don't get beyond) simple being my motto - we managed the first bag (this screen shot was taken when it was transformed into a solid body back in the parametric modelling environment):

y4mnf2vB47agTFZ9AmIAk8V5GWFBabNCacwnIKTL

Followed by the second (photo taken whilst still tinkering in the Forms environment):

y4mkpczryRVtl1kba1MgTyXalhfnSuy8OZbGqKDC

And those two will be printed and fit on the sidewalls here:

y4mxgCoZxUtrsWXiNuqyAck9byjNbe8ili7WAw_O

y4mz3In8M474wZUk2em5YyAz-zw0d1_1idjuBUVi

That done it was time to get stuff ready for painting.  So when struggling with law-boredom I did some priming.  Thus.

Airfix provided cockpit.  The front firewall has been cut down to fit together with my

printed nose.

The various bits needed no more than an acceptable amount of cleaning up and mould line/flash removal and ejector pin filling:

y4mgCTTjb3QS5KX8zCjCPZ3AMIwebiZGPGqHsCm6 

y4mHFPqv1Ucjzg_v6YzeJA4PxtUBlPJLlBbpvpE4

Rear fuselage insert version 1 - operators door designed and printed closed:

y4m8y1MN10hgKgYqQStJkZk93nAlBMKA4eK7DnWb

Rear fuselage insert version 2 - operators door designed and printed separately. Probably the version I'll go with:

y4mmJUJz3jhZ2Z826_2ntxneKLuxaGF6ryqXJsPA

y4myaaZV5gRCPdkq12Ev9lTCiRmA60siF_IXKhD3

The square hole in the front bulkhead is for the operators head pad to fit into.  I've printed that separately for ease of painting.

Winch (and spare) and winch deck:

y4mAw6QM9WbDainrnqHUPYGws9pARetEfYplIxCO

Operators seat and cushion; again printed separately for ease of painting:

y4mtw06-aaVOPTLkBF7q7Lt9JwsxC9aFzpADE2pf

Target stowage area:

y4mUYffAzYWuK35lpkOX5Vu4KpFbc2tXPzK5-YNq

Fuselage sides.  Pilots cockpit has the Airfix structure added.  Operators cockpit has my printed structure (minus the bags) added.  I've chiseled off various moulded in details on the Airfix sidewalls as I've got some Eduard coloured etch to add:

y4mzouMoAf-2yWj9D6zThQyyFCX9XFC_MqolZSPG

Bags x 2.  Am I allowed to be modestly pleased with them?  

y4mJ2nIoAnbtZ43PUEJA2zuTs8nssai7mS6MV9S5

Daft to be pleased with such simple (and small) items but hey ho - I'm easily pleased.

Bags dry-fitted

y4meH9XaslsnP3r9Rbu_Sn0W4Sl8QiHQHxPR3MCU

y4mh8VdSeOYtggJvmmWDw-hBTqpTPon30bQKnuwP

They do at least fit...

And couldn't resist priming the printed Merlin XX nose - to see how the detail looked under paint:

y4mJIcPSzyLJWGsJ6cAazfSmyRmcLMJgzNg3z7wV

y4mPWYhGEhS6fb86pdQFCSW7yt7amF6DK4AwnYWo

Do you know what?  I'll take that.

Speaking of Etch.  I scanned it into Fusion thus:

y4mW5tCJn8Q2O2M689lCgB2MLTfUvyVhg97iM12c

Because it occurred to me that using Fusion and the printer may be a way of getting around the 2D problem with certain Etch bits.  I plan to use the scanned image (now an accurately sized Fusion canvas) to sketch around an extrude some backing parts.  What I mean is sort of visible on this screen print:

y4m5lUHtNyPTO-SWjdm70u2pqSi5HwN8clOzJyaI

And finally for now the I've pre-shaded the cockpit bits ready for some Colourcoats interior green.

y4mSAMhvWsE5ftqW6fvuTUIt8tDu7w8csVhRBWO4

And that's were she sits as of now.

Managed a bit more painting done before the end of the week G.   Off the hook?

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 29
  • Haha 2

Great progress there, Steve, you're rightfully proud of those bags. Nice to see it all getting some paint as well

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Ian observes, lovely bag work and indeed a very full and tasty looking update all round.

I'm still being wowed by the way your new (ish) lightbox thingy has really lifted the whole visual presentation of these updates. Perhaps I'm easily wowed 🤔 ....... well I am down in the extremely far away bits of Cornwall, far from the metropolitan buzz of south Dorset!

And of course I can't move on without commenting on the ingenious idea of scanning in the etch in order to extrude bits and bobs as needed. Etch can be so superb in many ways, but so flat and 2D. That process should be good to watch too!

Great update.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Off the hook?

Barely.... :D but amply compensated by those little gems in form of bags, and the ingenious and intriguing PE scanning - 3D morphing process :worthy: :worthy:

I'll second Terry's comment about the quality of your pics, pro stuff! :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Marvellous.

Although I must admit I'm confused over what are real parts and what are Fusion screenshots.

It might be the wine…

• Haha 9

Steve,

Most timely as I have just started to tinker with Forms for my dinghy pod (the dinghy itself, in fact!). Despite being a long-time CAD monkey I have not yet played with this witchery...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Anyways.  Start (and sometimes don't get beyond) simple being my motto - we managed the first bag (this screen shot was taken when it was transformed into a solid body back in the parametric modelling environment):

y4mnf2vB47agTFZ9AmIAk8V5GWFBabNCacwnIKTL

Followed by the second (photo taken whilst still tinkering in the Forms environment):

y4mkpczryRVtl1kba1MgTyXalhfnSuy8OZbGqKDC

Looks really good Steve. I need to gain some experience on that to finish ongoing Oxcart ejection seat modelling.

3350.jpg

Serkan

• Like 7

Wait

Wait

You can scan the etch (Or other images) into Fusion and then use Morph in it?

If that works why am I scared of the actual image making process?

Could I make a drawing a Fusion canvas then lift a shape out of it?

Could I copy a plan then run it through the process, make a Widgeon fuselage by extruding a plan into a shape?

How?

I have a basically parallel fuselage section that could be extruded from the 'tapered rounded semi-rectangular cross section' if that is so. 

Then I could add a nose on the same basic odd tube section.

Time to play

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, perdu said:

Could I copy a plan then run it through the process, make a Widgeon fuselage by extruding a plan into a shape?

Yes in principle in all CAD tools you can do it easly. Here is an example from AG-330 starter cart modelling for SR-71A:

2398.jpg

2399.jpg

2401.jpg

2402.jpg

2622.jpg

Serkan

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Brandy said:

Very nice Steve! I really like those bags.

We’re sort of moving in parallel in learning the ‘Forms’ environment aren’t we.

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Most timely as I have just started to tinker with Forms for my dinghy pod (the dinghy itself, in fact!).

I’m only at the level of simple shapes; and adding and editing faces, edges and points; and extrudes and creases.  Tis fair to say that results of any action aren’t always as I expect or plan.  But it is a fun way of modeling.  I need more practice.

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I need to gain some experience on that to finish ongoing Oxcart ejection seat modelling.

Ha.  Somehow I feel that you’ll be a master at it Serkan; that’s if it’s not already just modesty leading you to self deprecation :D

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm still being wowed by the way your new (ish) lightbox thingy has really lifted the whole visual presentation of these updates

That were a good purchase, Terry.  So quick to set up and use and as it guarantees decent results it probably saves time.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Wait

You can scan the etch (Or other images) into Fusion and then use Morph in it?

If that works why am I scared of the actual image making process?

How?

I have a basically parallel fuselage section that could be extruded from the 'tapered rounded semi-rectangular cross section' if that is so. 

Then I could add a nose on the same basic odd tube section.

Sorry, Bill but the scanned image stays as just an image.  All you can do is use the image as a template to trace around in a sketch.  Fusion doesn’t convert the image into a sketch for you or allow you to extrude direct from the image.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That's most of my problem Steve, how to actually trace round the curves without shooting off at random tangents.

Going to have another try today.

It would be ideal if I could make a block of a profile which I could then turn into a shell, swivel it round and begin chamfering a wide edge at the front.

Let's see if I can do it 😄

If you get fed up with Law I hear Gucci is looking for a new clutch bag designer. 

Nice bags, in the nicest possible sense of course. 

It's always a pleasure to read these updates and based on what I see, I think I can safely say that your 3 dimensional modeling skills are now up there with the best of them. Sometimes it's not easy to capture detail in that scale without over (or under) doing things but you have managed to match features to scale with remarkable ease.

lt the coloring in commence!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Fritag said:

Am I allowed to be modestly pleased with them?  

Most certainly, they're perfect. Much better than the solid blocks of styrene I would have produced! 

The nose surface details are beautiful and survived the primer in good shape. 

As @hendiesays, it's time for a bit of colouring in!

Have a great weekend

Richie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1