Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The Humbrol paint number call out’s are quite interesting. Must be something new for Airfix paint guides going forward.  

Don't they normally do that? 

This kit looks like it will be fantastic, and great to read about the detail going into it's design.

Nice to see the alternative option with XA336 to have it in standard markings with the HF tailcode and 'Cyprus' tail marking 

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Don't they normally do that? 

19 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

...paint guides going forward?

Yes, they always include Humbrol paint numbers, what I ‘meant’  to say was that those particular numbers (as illustrated on the Gannet instructions) are quite different in artistic style to what is normally supplied with Airfix kit instructions. Apologies for thinking everyone could read my mind! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 71chally said:

We can, you want this kit, right?!

What amazing powers you have James! Now that you have the ability to read my mind, can you help me convince Airfix that an Avro Lincoln or Manchester would be excellent additions to their 2024 range? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What amazing powers you have James! Now that you have the ability to read my mind, can you help me convince Airfix that an Avro Lincoln or Manchester would be excellent additions to their 2024 range? 

24 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Better yet, Dave: a Lincoln AND a Manchester ...

I truly would love to build both of them. A Manchester should only need new wings/nacelles and the centerline vertical stab if my memory is correct ? The Lincoln would need a whole new set of moulds though ? Also if I’m correct it was both lengthened in the fuselage and wings, with completely different engines and nacelles and glazing. 

Until they do come up with this suggestion, the only place I know of that has both in 1/48 is Sanger Engineering as Vacs . I've got the Manchester, haven't gotten the Lincoln though I would like to.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I truly would love to build both of them. A Manchester should only need new wings/nacelles and the centerline vertical stab if my memory is correct ? The Lincoln would need a whole new set of moulds though ? Also if I’m correct it was both lengthened in the fuselage and wings, with completely different engines and nacelles and glazing. 

Ker-rect. Sadly, there's enough variation from the Lancaster and its moulds for it to be unlikely that we will see either - from Airfix, anyway.

• Like 1

Meanwhile just returning us briefly to the subject...  😉

Just seen the brief preview of the gorgeous new tool 1/48 Fairey Gannet from Airfix in the latest edition of Airfix Model World magazine. Its scheduled for release in October at a retail price £54.99. Loads of different configuration options - including inflight.  2 seperate sets of wings are included (folded and un-folded). Marking options are for the 3 Royal Navy machines mentioned earlier in the thread (so a follow-on version in overseas markings in almost certain). Detailed cockpits and various internal and external weapon fit options. Large underwing pylons are included usually for carrying drop tanks, although these are not actually included. Perhaps they are being held back for another version down the line?  Well, this is "The Rumourmonger" area... 😆

I must confess to having only a passing interest in the Fleet Air Arm and zero interest in the Fairy Gannet, but this looks to be another great kit by Airfix which must be off the scale for "quirky looking aircraft" ... so for for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm in! 🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RichG said:

Large underwing pylons are included usually for carrying drop tanks, although these are not actually included. Perhaps they are being held back for another version down the line?  Well, this is "The Rumourmonger" area... 😆

COD 4 would be my bet

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we see both an Export (Australia, Germany, Indonesia) boxing and also a COD.4/T.5 boxing, the inclusion of underwing pylons make the COD.4 an almost certainty as they were rarely fitted otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

...the inclusion of underwing pylons make the COD.4 an almost certainty as they were rarely fitted otherwise.

I like your thinking and lets hope, but that's more of a modern perception thing.  Due to the era and length of service that they served there are lots of photographs of the handful of COD.4s that existed, while proportionally a lot less of the many AS.1s & 4s built.  To put it into perspective, some AS's were at the scrapyard less than 5 years after delivery, while CODs and 'hack AS.4s served for a further 15 years.

The AS's did use those underwing carriers regularly for the multitude of weapons and stores that could be attached to them, conversely there are  a few images of CODs without them. 

The pods themselves could be occasionally seen on AS's, ECMs, and Trainers.

I had access to a pod a few years back, really wish now I had taken measurements.

Hopefully aftermarket will step in, if Airfix don't supply them.

Edited by 71chally
..because the forum converts AS(s) to the word bottom!

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

To put it into perspective, some bottom were at the scrapyard less than 5 years after delivery, while CODs and 'hack AS.4s served for a further 15 years.The bottom did use those underwing carriers regularly for the multitude of weapons and stores that could be attached to them, conversely there are  a few images of CODs without them

I think I know what you’re saying James, however is this a case of the BM autocorrect / filtering tool going mad by reading AS.1 as a particular body part we all sit on??

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Yep, had a shock when I read the post🤯😅

This might happen many more times when the kit gets released and we all start talking in Gannet speak. Now I doubt Airfix will ever release a Vickers Virginia, however (and as I’ve just found out) that can easily be misspelt too! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

Looks a bit bland to me?  I would have thought that they could come up with something more exciting.......although I do want one, this picture really does not inspire me to buy one............Squadron number 446 appears to be wrong font   dont look right somehow

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Looks a bit bland to me?  I would have thought that they could come up with something more exciting.......although I do want one, this picture really does not inspire me to buy one............Squadron number 446 appears to be wrong font   dont look right somehow

Maritime patrol in peacetime is usually rather boring, but I see a Soviet submarine on the surface, so there is a reason for their presence.

In my opinion, another great Airfix boxart, quite a few of them over the last couple of years.

• Like 2