Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3,699 Excellent


About Sabrejet

  • Rank
    Very Obsessed Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yes - Fairford over the years. It's become an obsession, but then again there aren't too many front-line combat aircraft that are older than me!
  2. Only a minor update. I started on the engine nacelles, and thanks to @John Aero, the propellers will at least look good! This was the starting point for the engines, with some spurious 'intakes' (blobs) to remove and fill: And progress so far. Inboard nacelles also house the main landing gear and engine oil tank, so will receive a bit of internal detail. And I never did reveal the colour scheme for this one. Well here it is - Union of Burma Airways (photo courtesy of Peter Amos). Fortunately I have a few other photo references for the three Marathons they operated, so decals will be OK. They are being designed as we speak (not by me!) but won't be ready until August, so hopefully it will all come together by then.
  3. All those days peering over the fence finally demonstrate why! Tom - the 'pylon' is more of a fairing for the actual pylon when no adaptor is fitted: it has a strange up-swept nose to it: Compare to it with the adaptor beam fitted: The leading edge fairing is part of the adaptor beam kit, and you can see the colour difference above. A few more for info: Hope these are of interest.
  4. Nice job: don't really understand the need for a plastic kit when there's resin!
  5. The DH.82 is from Bristol Flying School, which became an EFTS around the time that the second Bristol-run EFTS was set up at Yatesbury (1936). The gent in the 'Persil' flying suit is Cyril Uwins. The flying school initially operated civil-registered DH.82s, which were bolstered by military versions at outbreak of war. This explains the mix of colour schemes. Below is G-ADIX in similar scheme at Yatesbury (photo courtesy of Gordon Chivers). The '17' is a carry-over from its civilian days and shows that the camouflage was painted over the earlier colour scheme while retaining elements of the DH-applied registration letters and School numbers. As far as I can ascertain, the 'Bristol' Tigers were numbered 1 to 15 and Yatesbury's 16 onwards ('25' at rear is G-ADNU).
  6. Stunning! These Karaya kits are modelling gems in the rough and yours is as polished as they get.
  7. This is indeed an Interserie car, so only Hans Stuck's name should be on the door. I wonder why Tamiya put Derek Bell's name on there too?
  8. Apologies for a bit of thread hijack but I remembered that I too have a B-36 project: here's my starting point. Just a few bits missing from my B-36H...
  9. Derek Bell is in the No.20 car, photo 1. (I seem to recall Hans Herrmann was in the 21 Martini car too).
  10. Me too. I always think it will be therapeutic but it rarely is. I use a mix of masking tape to put the lines in place and a pencil to mark them. Then some old Tamiya templates to wrap the panel lines. For the passenger door and cargo door I made a thin plastic card template to scribe round, as I did for the wing root fairings.
  11. Well you asked for it! (and apologies over Seatgate). ...including such luminaries as Richard Attwood, Derek Bell, David Piper, my hero Brian Redman and a young whippersnapper called Mark Webber.
  12. Lots of sanding later... Unfortunately the thin port-side fuselage half finally bit me and while 'robustly' holding the fuselage while sanding, a large crack appeared, running vertically up the forward fuselage. Fingers crossed the MEK and Humbrol filler did the trick, but you can see the extent of the damage below. Wings and tail fins are just on temporarily. While I remember, Contrail placed a large cargo door on the port side nose section but it's only applicable for the prototype. So that was filled and will be scribed in place on the aft starboard fuselage side. So a guide coat of primer went on: And then the task of filling gaps and scribing panel lines: And there were still a few bits to fill but generally it looks OK. Time for some masking...
  • Create New...