Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

On 1/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, Ptmvarsityfan said:

If Airfix release a Gannet I will eat my hat. Evening meal on Tuesday could be interesting!

Enjoy...!  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Well.... 

I spent a silly amount on the Classic Airframes kit, and began cutting up the wings for the wing folding, before promptly shelving the build because its so challenging.

The modelling gods are harsh. 

You can thank me later. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

This superb news, I've been asking Airfix for a Gannet for over 30 years, glad in one way that it's taken this long as it's now bound to be a superb kit.

The AS/T/COD and ECM Gannet provides for a variety of schemes, and lots of different unit markings, aswel as interesting configurations and weapons loads - well done Airfix!

I won't have to build any more  of my (admittedly decent) Dynavector Gannets

28878467902_73b06e962a_b.jpgDynavector Fairey Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 13

Hats off to Airfix for doing this, not my bag but an unusual and and relatively obscure aircraft which would probably continue to be overlooked by mainstream manufacturers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

This superb news, I've been asking Airfix for a Gannet for over 30 years, glad in one way that it's taken this long as it's now bound to be a superb kit.

The AS/T/COD and ECM Gannet provides for a variety of schemes, and lots of different unit markings, aswel as interesting configurations and weapons loads - well done Airfix!

I won't have to build any more  of my (admittedly decent) Dynavector Gannets

28878467902_73b06e962a_b.jpgDynavector Fairey Gannet AS.1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Sad that you had to wait for 30 years , but your Dynavector looks great and I hope that my Airfix kit looks as good as your Dynavector in the end…

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Odd glitch on the Airfix Website. From the main list, it says £49.99 but going onto the product itself jumps to £54.99!

(nb other Series 11 kits are £54.99)

Edited by IT_Man
  • Sad 1

Even though I have long sworn off aircraft the Gannet is an interesting one... But then I remember that these pictures are only drawings and the real thing won't look quite the same.

Nah, sorry Airfix, companion of my yoof, not for me thanks, 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Odd glitch on the Airfix Website. From the main list, it says £49.99 but going onto the product itself jumps to £54.99!

I preordered a couple at £49.99 each.

• Like 1

• Greg B changed the title to Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023
1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

the real thing won't look quite the same.

That's because that's made of metal and this is plastic. 

If you've seen and handled the 1/48 Bucc and still are displeased, then I can understand the sentiment.

2 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Airfix have probably seen how excited many of us are and decided to up the price quick!