Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

Heller done the Alize - pretty similar in my opinion so why not the Gannet, always fancied picking up the Alize if it wasn't for the fact I'd probably never start it let alone finish it 🤣

Airfix done the Walrus which can be argued just as left field and it done well? Presume it must have as projects like this would have less chance of being released though this is an assumption on my part

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toe said:

Heller done the Alize . . . . . 

In 1/50 back in 1960 originally along with quite a few other French subjects in the same scale , got a few on the shelf for 'one of these days' and while perhaps more of an impression than exact to the millimeter models they all make for interesting subjects and were very adventurous from a time that Airfix for example was by and large still in 1/72 scale with pilots stuck on plastic pegs.

As for the Gannet (like the Walrus mentioned above) I would imagine that in reality its appeal will extend beyond an imagined small group of  'FAA enthusiasts' as it had some international export success , it is an unusual subject with a very interesting shape, will offer some variations in configuration and might well be something a bit different and to full-scale production injection-moulded standards for those whose interest is not defined by narrower parameters.     

The same could also be said for the AEW.3 variant although as that would go far beyond another few bits on an additional sprue and a new decal sheet I would not hold my breath waiting.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2023 at 13:57, wellsprop said:

I'm very glad to say, Naval aviation is FINALLY getting the attention it deserves. Once the Gannet and Scimitar have been released, in terms of post-war, fixed-wing Fleet Air Arm Aircraft, the only aircraft that is unobtanium is the Sea Venom (which Pilot Replicas are working on).

You forget the Blackburn Firebrand ! 😉 And the Gannet AEW, Boulton Sea Balliol, Short Sturgeon :fool:...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235063652-148-blackburn-firebrand-mkv-by-clear-prop-models-3d-renderssprues-release-in-2023/

And about the Breguet Br.1050 Alizé in 1/48th scale, there was a Fonderie Miniature kit.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/fr/poializepreview.htm

FRROM/Azur what are you doing? Think about her in 1/48th scale after the Super Mystère B.2 ? 🙏

poializebt.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Des said:

The same could also be said for the AEW.3 variant although as that would go far beyond another few bits on an additional sprue and a new decal sheet I would not hold my breath waiting.

Airfix's researcher said in an interview that he has looked at AEW.3s as well while researching this kit, but there were so many differences that there was no way of doing both versions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard Humm said:

Airfix's researcher said in an interview that he has looked at AEW.3s as well while researching this kit, but there were so many differences that there was no way of doing both versions.

Maybe A/M will make a new fuselage and bits to do this version ? 

On 1/11/2023 at 9:43 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

American here and plan on buying one so there is some interest. I have a bit of fascination currently with 1950’s to 1980’s Nav-Air and like both U.S.N. & others. Id love to see a modern new tool IMP Scimitar as I think the plane is a looker. 

Not especially interested in FAA but I never could decide between the Revell and Trumpy 1/72 kits. Airfix has now eased my mind. Same interest for the Gannet as for the Saab Tunnan, these plane have unique looks.

+1 for the Scimitar Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Not especially interested in FAA but I never could decide between the Revell and Trumpy 1/72 kits. Airfix has now eased my mind. Same interest for the Gannet as for the Saab Tunnan, these plane have unique looks.

+1 for the Scimitar Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle

I could go for a Tunnan as well. I do like the flying beer barrel. 

• Like 2

Regarding Tunnan:

There are very good kits in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32, the most recent ones are:

1/72 Tanrangus

1/48 Pilot Replicas

1/32 Fly

All three scales has different kits with the earlier and later engine/rear fuselage. A recce S39C has been promised by Pilot replicas, as well as an J29E (Early engine/fuselage retrofitted with late wing). See Scalemates for reviews.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

Literally it's only the outer wings and the tailplane that is the same between Gannet AS/Trainers and the AEW. I would be surprised (but delighted!) if Airfix kit both versions, or even if aftermarket cover it.

Are the "fixed" (inner) options of the wing different on the AEW and AS variants?! I'd assumed the entire wing was the same. 

EDIT: I've just realised the fuselage on the AEW variant is a different cross section (thinner and triangular), the undercarriage is also longer, necessitating larger wheel wells (I am unsure if the undercarriage attachment position moved).

The tailplane is also different, on the AS variant, the tailplane attaches to the vertical fin, on the AEW variant, it attaches to both the vertical fin and fuselage - therefore it is different at the root.

48 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Are the "fixed" (inner) options of the wing different on the AEW and AS variants?! I'd assumed the entire wing was the same. 

yes, the leading edges angle forward from the wing break on the AEW3, but are straighter on the AS variants

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

The tailplane is also different, on the AS variant, the tailplane attaches to the vertical fin, on the AEW variant, it attaches to both the vertical fin and fuselage - therefore it is different at the root.

The tailplanes are essentially the same design but with a minor difference at the leading edge root.  On all variants it is a single piece item that attaches to the very rear fuselage top decking, and the fin structure is then fitted over the top of it.  

On the AS/Ts the tailplane is all moving variable incidence (to counter flap movement), but it is fixed on AEWs, the former has fairings against the fin to hide the gap that move with the tailplane, the AEW has similar fairings but are fixed against the fin/fuse structure.

The fixed stub wings on the AEW are of straight leading edge, doing away with the leading edge fuel tanks of the AS/Ts, they are also of slightly greater span.  So the entire wing leading edge is a straight line in planform.

The AS/Ts have slightly swept back leading edges to the stub wings, being of greater chord against the fuselage, this gives a kink to to leading edge line in planform.

In modelling terms, only the tailplane and folding portions of the wing are the same, there are no other shared parts, even the similar looking canopy, props, spinner, finlets, engine inlets are actually different.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

Thanks for passing that on and confirming what I imagined would be the case.

Perhaps if the AS.1/4 is financially successful Airfix might be tempted into approaching the AEW.3 which takes the 'unusual' to even higher levels as an entirely new project at some far future date . . . . . remove control column ,  insert new aircraft , re-attach control column or maybe that was different too.

In the shorter term time will no doubt tell if the parts breakdown will be amendable to T/ECM/COD release(s) or aftermarket fixes.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

In modelling terms, only the tailplane and folding portions of the wing are the same, there are no other shared parts, even the similar looking canopy, props, spinner, finlets, engine inlets are actually different.

Even the wing fold mechanism is different.

I'm planning to model COD.4 XA466 or similar, so that I have something from the 1970s...

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/gannet/survivor.php?id=147&image_id=2792

Will have to make do with the unfurled Sword 1/72 AEW.3 sitting next to it. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Thanks for the clarification! It's a shame there is not really any commonality, an AEW is an even uglier and more curious FAA subject. 

You can safely see at least three boxings of this initial AS.1 / 4 kit and it’s kinda hinted by Airfix in a recent YouTube video I saw. We’ll see an Export box with decals available for Germany, Indonesian and Australian Navies and a COD/T boxing with alternate parts for these particular versions. It will be interesting to see if a plain underbelly piece (less the dustbin radar aperture) will be provided in the initial 2023 release. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Des said:

. . . remove control column ,  insert new aircraft , re-attach control column or maybe that was different too.

...it was, the AS/Ts had a spade grip, the AEW a more modern straight stick top.

As @tony.t has mentioned, the wing fold gubbins are different, as is the 'sit' of the wings when folded.

As for the variants, they're all doable from a basic AS kit, at worst it is fairly straightforward to shave/file off the radome fairing side bits, and panel over and fill the round radome aperture in the underside to create the COD and Trainer variants, though I suspect/hope that Airfix will mould that whole radome panel as a sperate item and provide an alternative blank panel as per the original aircraft, but will it be in this boxing.  

Indeed XA430 became a COD/Courier and actually retained its radome for a period, including when it was repainted in the COD RAF/Blue Grey scheme.

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p653663387/hC2985435#hc2985435

Trainers also had the forward port side wiring and canopy rails fairing enlarged to house the dual control linkages.  Again I hope the Trainer will be a kit option at some stage, but if not this area can be built up with plastic and filler, and a periscope housing would be fairly straightforward to fabricate from plastic card.

ECMs were basically AS.4s fitted with 'secret' equipment.   The visual differences in modelling terms include circular 'pedestals' mounted on the bomb bay doors, usually towards the front, these varied a little bit between airframes, and so did the many other aerials fitted, so really requires checking references on a particular airframe to be spot on with a build, thankfully a few survive in museums, as the one below which featured two bomb door pedestals

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/101826/XG797

T.5s, COD.4s and ECM.6s could carry underwing baggage pods, these were mounted on pylons that are quite different in shape and height to the original AS weapon pylons.

Be interesting to see if Airfix cater for all these options, and indeed markings.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Indeed XA430 became a COD/Courier and actually retained its radome for a period, including when it was repainted in the COD RAF/Blue Grey scheme.

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p653663387/hC2985435#hc2985435

In contrast, XA466 was repainted in the EDSG/Sky colour scheme in the mid 70s for a short time - interesting option if you want that scheme with red/blue roundels. (Note no pylons and tanks, just to make it that little bit easier)

Fairy Gannet T.5 XA466 LM777 849 Sqn 19-05-78

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

In contrast, XA466 was repainted in the EDSG/Sky colour scheme in the mid 70s for a short times, just to make it that little bit easier)

Yes, my favourite, apparently it was accidentally painted in the AEW scheme, was quite short lived on '466.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:41 PM, BushBrit66 said:

So my reasonably  the CA becomes a blue COD machine so it's all good. This looks great. In my LHS today and it seems likely there is at least one more release to be announced. Some talk or dinner coming up soon apparently?

That's an interesting snippet, must be the big Hurricane hopefully

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

T.5s, COD.4s and ECM.6s could carry underwing baggage pods, these were mounted on pylons that are quite different in shape and height to the original AS weapon pylons.

Be interesting to see if Airfix cater for all these options, and indeed markings.

I hope the baggage pod is included, Alleycat produced a set of "100 gallon tanks" but they don't seem to have the correct shape for the baggage pod. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob said:

That's an interesting snippet, must be the big Hurricane hopefully

Doubt it, there's a Youtube interview with Dale and Luke form Airfix (Interesting Modelling Co Channel) where they joke about the big release being a 1/24th Hurricane - which might well rule it out (That said, in a previous interview, Dale hinted the Rotodyne was unlikely to be back, so you never know - TBH, if someone from Airfix told me it was Tuesday, I'd check the calendar.

And Airfix day at the Hurricane event at Duxford was last Sunday

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Doubt it, there's a Youtube interview with Dale and Luke form Airfix (Interesting Modelling Co Channel) where they joke about the big release being a 1/24th Hurricane - which might well rule it out (That said, in a previous interview, Dale hinted the Rotodyne was unlikely to be back, so you never know - TBH, if someone from Airfix told me it was Tuesday, I'd check the calendar.

And Airfix day at the Hurricane event at Duxford was last Sunday

Airfix are world class at media management and can lead down some interesting rabbit holes. Thanks for that great photo link for XA466 which shows the fuselage side and towel rail beautifully.

@wellsprop sorry for misleading you about the baggage pods earlier. I've just found mine and they aren't as I remembered. about the AEW 'commonality' @Enzo the Magnificent (Is it me or is there a hint of megalomania there?) summed it up beautifully. Jack up canopy, replace everything, fit new canopy before lowering. I doubt that even the outer wing panels were carried over TBH especially as the wing-fold was altered too. 

@71chally I thought one pylon would carry the starter in a pod set-up on land-based types that might be expected to land away from home? Usually carried on the starboard pylon.

British design and engineering can be original and spectacular and sometimes it even does the job it was intended for. One place I fitted machinery into had 'If in doubt make it stronger, drawings are only a suggestion' in huge letters down one wall. I understand they'd once used 3/16" plate on a job and weren't happy about it years later. As they made stuff for mines and tunneling it was likely a good philosophy. The place had been part of one of the aircraft companies until the 1950s mergers...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1