Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Thanks martian, PC and Giorgio :) 

Canopy is better after another trip in the hot water:

46148257024_994eca0c24_z.jpg

Happy with that and I'll glue it on soon.

Next step? Oops:

32997851668_800c01ebba_z.jpg

Should have glued those in before I joined the wings up. They went in fairly tightly and, of course, cracked the seam:

46148499054_5b314b7455_z.jpg

Getting there though.

• Like 15

All in all, nice work Ced.

The canopy came out really well, hopefully no problems masking it.

As for the bomb bay area, hanging from the ceiling means it`s visible but it will be far enough away not to be visible.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith and Simon :) 

I've brushed some Aqua Gloss on the inside of the canopy so it'll be ready for glueing, soon.

On to the tailplane. 

46149720094_0e403130a8_z.jpg

Note the instructions to cut holes for the D/E/F variants - don't bother, they're there and will need filling.

Another BMer already noted that parts 17 and 18 don't go together:

46822584582_c2cbfe3c93_z.jpg

… but with that corrected (swap the parts) the elevators have been glued and the tailplanes not - they need cleaning up:

39909888203_9cf221edc2_z.jpg

…thanks to the way they're connected to the gates. 

I've also broken my first Tamiya Craft Saw - off to see if I can get one of those smart saws that Anil has.

• Like 12

Thanks Keith - you know what a tool tart I am and Anil's post about 'cheap v essential' tools got me in the end (fnaar!).

In case anyone's tempted this link gets you straight to the English-site entry for the saw. The order process is a bit weird; you place an initial order on the site, then they calculate shipping and send you a payment email to complete the order. They're only open Mon-Fri so I'm waiting for my email; more when it arrives.

Thanks to Jon (06/24) for helping me through the process :) 

Nimrod. This morning I dry fitted the tailplanes:

31938891177_6fb6d58e0e_z.jpg

Wobbly. Nothing for it but to get out the Lego:

46155386164_395ac47b39_z.jpg

Notice the bricks under the main wings to level the model. Usual angled roof bricks on top of the rear blocks pushed in until the joins were acceptable. Tube glue applied, parts pressed in, TET applied to the gaps and pushed again to settle them in. Also notice Princess Leia helping out - a kind gift from John ( @Whofan ) who handed her over at Telford. Thanks John :) 

Now drying:

46880231141_1809e343da_z.jpg

45965787385_c64e1e1438_z.jpg

Yes, I did check the references and hope the angle of the dangle is right - too late now if not :) 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, CedB said:

In case anyone's tempted this link gets you straight to the English-site entry for the saw.

When I clicked it I nearly had a heart attack - thought the price was in pounds!

Hope HMRC miss your parcel Ced or you're likely to get clobbered for the 'duty collection fee'by the thieving barstewards that are parcel farce!!

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

When I clicked it I nearly had a heart attack - thought the price was in pounds!

When I translated the yen price to pounds I had to double-check my own pulse for a moment....

Nice tail feathers Ced!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Excellent work Ced, obviously got the bit between the teeth.

Back end looking really nice. :yes:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :) 

5 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

glad to see you've put (Slave) Princess  Leia to work!

Thanks John. To be honest she didn't help much, other than to quicken the pulse… :D 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hope HMRC miss your parcel Ced or you're likely to get clobbered for the 'duty collection fee'by the thieving barstewards that are parcel farce!!

K

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

When I translated the yen price to pounds I had to double-check my own pulse for a moment....

Nice tail feathers Ced!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Keith and Adrian :) I know it looks expensive but Anil's point is that it'll save buying repeated replacements for bent PE versions. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Adding bits before masking. Is it 11A or 12A?

45969211225_575feed98d_n.jpg 39919032543_5ab20160d1_n.jpg

12A by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

11A doesn't fit, 12A does and has been glued. Thanks Pete for the warning.

The inner landing lights don't fit that well and are hard to position:

46159026284_794f8c654e_z.jpg

I can't show you the other side but if I shake to model you can hear it rattling - doh!

Door windows Glue and Glazed and will be fitted when I'm not being so clumsy:

46159190794_47863abd08_z.jpg

• Like 10

On 1/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Martian - I think scratch is probably the way to go (sorry Alleycat) :) 

Keith you may have saved yourself - see how you feel when she's finished! :) 

Bay dirtied:

31917605517_8d74c9ed74_z.jpg

I couldn't think of any reason not to glue the wings on, so I started with the bits where it touched from and back:

39894597193_641249798b_z.jpg

You can probably see where the sides don't fit - I'll work my way down those, checking the wing roots. Carefully.

Back here:

@stever219 commented:

"Also aircraft pre-wingtip ESM pod fit lacked the vortex generators on the outer wing panels so they can come off.i. In their place however you will need to install a long shallow fence just inboard of the outer end of the aileron, and running for most of the chord of the wing ahead of the aileron."

Steve I can chop off the VGs but do you have any pictures/details of 'the fence' please? Ta.

Sorry Ced; lost track of this thread.  I can't post links on my phone or iPad but if you Google AN1952493 you should find an image of XV254 taken from a ove and behind the starboard wing which shows it fairly well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

notice Princess Leia helping out

I was wondering who she was! :frantic:

This kit is really fighting you, I admire your attitude :worthy:

And the Lego jig is a super-classic now :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ced, I just read this one through from the start. Wow, she be fighting you, eh? But you seem to be telling her who's in charge. Good solutions to the oddball problems that have popped up - this modelling thing is fun, innit?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Stoic.

That's the only word to describe you Ced. I tremble to return here each time knowing that it will be equivalent to finding the vicar lashed to a table in the local S&M club. I see Airfix have belatedly produced a jig to assist with the fit difficulties:

comet-tank-test.jpg

You're a model of civilized perseverance mate, and we loves ya for it.

• Haha 14

44 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I tremble to return here each time knowing that it will be equivalent to finding the vicar lashed to a table in the local S&M club

And just how often has that happened to you Tony....??!! :rofl2:

K

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, hendie said:

it sure looks/sounds like an abomination of a kit Ced.  

Kudos to you for sticking (no pun intended) with it

Thanks Hendie - I shall complete it! :) 

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks for the thanks, Ced.

I wrote that build thread ten years ago! Ten!

Where did that go?

Glad it's been of some help.

Thanks Pete - old thread or not, it was very useful for me. Thanks again :) 

16 hours ago, stever219 said:

Sorry Ced; lost track of this thread.  I can't post links on my phone or iPad but if you Google AN1952493 you should find an image of XV254 taken from a ove and behind the starboard wing which shows it fairly well.

Thanks Steve :) The search didn't find an 'over and behind' shot for me but further searching found one similar... Is the fence the thing just visible as #1? Not sure that's not just a shadow. It does show though that I need to add the aerial thingies #2

31950843297_e73389da42_z.jpg

Original thanks to: XZ282   Hawker-Siddeley Nimrod MR.1 [8044] (Royal Air Force) Farnborough~G 10/09/1976 by Ray Barber, on Flickr

15 hours ago, giemme said:

I was wondering who she was! :frantic:

This kit is really fighting you, I admire your attitude :worthy:

And the Lego jig is a super-classic now :clap:

Ciao

:D  Not the best Leia in chains image I've seen… not that I look… very often. Thanks too for the kind admiration Giorgio - motivating!

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice progress really starting to look like a Nimrod now, all your efforts have been worth while this is turning into a masterpiece!

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind :) 

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hi Ced, I just read this one through from the start. Wow, she be fighting you, eh? But you seem to be telling her who's in charge. Good solutions to the oddball problems that have popped up - this modelling thing is fun, innit?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill :) We will fight them on the benches…

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

More brilliant work Mr B.

The dirty bay looks great, I’d forgotten about those Citadel washes. 🤔

Nice steady progress wrestling this one into submission. Hats off kid. 😎

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) Citadel washes recommended by BMers and I find them OK for smaller areas - Flory for large areas, of course! I did have to wash the Sienna over with a wet brush as otherwise it coats the whole surface on primer like in this shot:

45936770515_468a4f229e_n.jpg

What's that? Put some gloss down first? I'd heard that somewhere…

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Stoic.

That's the only word to describe you Ced. I tremble to return here each time knowing that it will be equivalent to finding the vicar lashed to a table in the local S&M club. I see Airfix have belatedly produced a jig to assist with the fit difficulties:

[snip jig photo]

You're a model of civilized perseverance mate, and we loves ya for it.

Thanks Tony :D Who told you about the Vicar? He said he'd keep shtum. Nice jig though… eBay?

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ced you're getting there now, she is looking very impressive indeed. Have you reinforced your ceiling for this one ?

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris :) The ceiling's very strong and still supporting the Peacemaker. Famous last words.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And just how often has that happened to you Tony....??!! :rofl2:

K

Every third Wednesday. Doh! Now I've let the cat out of the bag :D 

My nemesis awaits:

46840128672_62dfe9d61a_z.jpg

When I've plucked up the courage. Once that's masked and glued on I can mask the other windows, sort out the inside landing lights and then she's ready for primer:

46840131382_b1df549356_z.jpg

Oh wait, wingtip aerials. Right.

• Like 13