Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

As an aside I know that the ‘magnesium overcast’ flew to Burtonwood halfway between Manchester and Liverpool. The main runway is now the M62. So technically when I drive that bit of the motorway, I’m in the tyretracks of one of those beasties.

Trevor

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Phil :D Couldn't have done it without you!

I've flipped through the pictures once and now had a closer look. Is this the model in Cornwall?

If I get close to that I'll be chuffed.

Your photos from the National Museum do show that the spinners aren't chrome, at least on this 'J':

Ced, the model I photographed was in the Museum of the Mighty 8th near Savannah, Georgia. I think it was built by a guy who'd served/worked with the B-36 so I guess it may be more accurate than one might think. 

I also agree that the spinner is simply aluminium alloy, chrome is a plated finish with no real purpose. 

So the question is, which example are you going to model? I suppose you're limited to the decal sheet (I think aftermarket has been available). If I recall, I think a B-36 crashed in the UK at some point, was it Northamptonshire? ...goes off to do a search but posts first...🤔

• Thanks 1

CedB,

Just tuned in- a mighty undertaking you are about to embark upon; lay in a ton of filler and a couple of six packs of your favorite brewskis!  I have seen a couple of awesome builds on the contest circuit many moons ago at some of our Texas shows, including one that scratchbuilt all of the dorsal 20mm gun turrets  in their deployed positions with the sliding cover panels that rotated downward to expose the turrets! 

There is a pretty good review of the kit in Detail in Scale No. 47- as I recall the kit as molded has sort of a combination of features of the major versions, with the bomb bay doors, antenna fit, and tail turret radar being the ones I can recall. There was also a conversion article in Crazed Plastic (St. Louis, MO  IPMS chapter publication) by Mike Mackowski, who converted the Monogram kit, which is molded  as an RB-36H, to a B-36D, if that interests you.

I have attached some links to build articles that might be useful. I have always had a dream of doing one of the aircraft Jimmy Stewart flew in Strategic Air Command- something about those striped gear doors, big buzz numbers, and squealing brakes that made my day! I hope these will help get you started- good luck!

Mike

http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/kolb36.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/bomber/henb36.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/bomber/baker36.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/168844.aspx

Edited by 72modeler
added IPMS chapter name
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HP42 said:

I suppose you're limited to the decal sheet

Oh no he's not - with that Silhouette cutter of his Ced can have his pick of the field! :evil_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi, 

Ha !, green fingers, glad I'm not the only one who does that !, love the way some if the seats seem to be scattered around the cockpit, very relaxed ! Like a mile high gentleman's club, pass the cigars old boy !.

Impressive work so far !

Alan

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'd be very surprised if the spinners were chrome. After all, chrome is just stuck on, and if it's stuck on, it can come off! Highly polished maybe, but not chrome.

Ian

Thanks Ian, polished it is :) 

8 hours ago, Darby said:

Pervert!

:rofl:

8 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Whoa whoa whoa!

Hang on a second here...

Page two and he's already sticking things and painting things (including his thumb...).

Can we have a Stewards Inquiry please?

know! Making some good progress for a change... :) 

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wow, now this is one I did not expect to see from you Ced, attempting to watch along as useful in between all the lovely conversations :)

also experts, how does it compare in size to a 52? Always wondered 

Thanks Stu - it's a bit bigger than the B-52, lengthwise.

This from Ish47guy on Finescale Modeller

From top to bottom, all 1/72nd, KC-135, C-5, B-52, B-36.

E91EzO.jpg

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Jaw Drop emoji!

Thanks Cookie and welcome! :) 

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

No problems with the extractor hose Ced, glad it came in useful.

You may want to make an adapter up to fit the window and save heat.

I did that at the other flat, saves drafts too.

Nice start to the inners Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - good idea. I've trapped the flat bit in the window for now... :) 

6 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Blimey , a metre / 40 inches wing span ?  Brize Norton's  Base Hangar might needed  . They flew from there in the 50s .

Where are on earth are you going to put it ?

Well worth watching ,thanks for doing a wip .

You're welcome! It'll go on the ceiling (I hope) :) 

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As an aside I know that the ‘magnesium overcast’ flew to Burtonwood halfway between Manchester and Liverpool. The main runway is now the M62. So technically when I drive that bit of the motorway, I’m in the tyretracks of one of those beasties.

Trevor

Interesting, thanks Trevor :) 

4 hours ago, HP42 said:

Ced, the model I photographed was in the Museum of the Mighty 8th near Savannah, Georgia. I think it was built by a guy who'd served/worked with the B-36 so I guess it may be more accurate than one might think. 

I also agree that the spinner is simply aluminium alloy, chrome is a plated finish with no real purpose. 

So the question is, which example are you going to model? I suppose you're limited to the decal sheet (I think aftermarket has been available). If I recall, I think a B-36 crashed in the UK at some point, was it Northamptonshire? ...goes off to do a search but posts first...🤔

4 hours ago, HP42 said:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=152762

It was in Wiltshire (near enough, ended in 'shire', good enough for me...🙄

Thanks Phil :)

I watched 'Strategic Air Command' tonight - great film, if a little spoilt by my pausing from time to time to look at details.

He crashed a B-36 too!

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

CedB,

Just tuned in- a mighty undertaking you are about to embark upon; lay in a ton of filler and a couple of six packs of your favorite brewskis!  I have seen a couple of awesome builds on the contest circuit many moons ago at some of our Texas shows, including one that scratchbuilt all of the dorsal 20mm gun turrets  in their deployed positions with the sliding cover panels that rotated downward to expose the turrets! 

There is a pretty good review of the kit in Detail in Scale No. 47- as I recall the kit as molded has sort of a combination of features of the major versions, with the bomb bay doors, antenna fit, and tail turret radar being the ones I can recall. There was also a conversion article in Crazed Plastic (I forget which IPMS chapter publication- sorry!) by Mike Mackowski, who converted the Monogram kit, which is molded  as an RB-36H, to a B-36D, if that interests you.

I have attached some links to build articles that might be useful. I have always had a dream of doing one of the aircraft Jimmy Stewart flew in Strategic Air Command- something about those striped gear doors, big buzz numbers, and squealing brakes that made my day! I hope these will help get you started- good luck!

Mike

http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/kolb36.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/bomber/henb36.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/us/usaf/bomber/baker36.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/168844.aspx

Thanks 72 :) I did notice the squealing brakes - weird eh?

I think I'll stick to the kit decals if only for expediency and to make sure I don't open a can of worms on the variants!

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Red, white and blue perhaps.....?

https://warbirddecals-com.myshopify.com/products/b-36-peacemaker-eb-36h-kirkland-afb-castle-afb-wright-patterson-museum-decals-1-72-033

Saves you having to do all that NMF 🤭

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, but I like NMF - working with AK paste is very therapeutic :mental:

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Geebus Crunch, Ced! What have you started now? I'll definitely be following this massive build.

Chris

Thanks Chris and welcome! :) 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh no he's not - with that Silhouette cutter of his Ced can have his pick of the field! :evil_laugh:

Oh yes I am! Getting the finish is going to be bad enough without adding more complications!

2 hours ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Hi, 

Ha !, green fingers, glad I'm not the only one who does that !, love the way some if the seats seem to be scattered around the cockpit, very relaxed ! Like a mile high gentleman's club, pass the cigars old boy !.

Impressive work so far !

Alan

Thanks Alan :) 

The crew's ready:

44059535451_1fd8cbc816_z.jpg

Not clear in the photo but they're in greeny grey. I saw the parachute packs in the film - nice.

I should be able to start getting things together tomorrow - hooray!

• Like 14

On 16/08/2018 at 01:50, CedB said:

The crew's ready:

That's some very well moulded and detailed crew for 1/72, and you did a great painting job on them :clap:

How about a white drybrush to pick out the edges and a dark grey wash to add depth? I'm sure you'll be amazed at the result 😉

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't it the B-36 that had a wingspan longer than the first powered flight by the Wright Brothers?

If anyone is still receiving royalties for the SAC film, I think they will have probably spiked in the last couple of days.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, CedB said:

The crew's ready:

Not far to go now.

22 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Wasn't it the B-36 that had a wingspan longer than the first powered flight by the Wright Brothers? 

Yep: 230' v. 120'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

The crew's ready:

Not clear in the photo but they're in greeny grey. I saw the parachute packs in the film - nice.

I should be able to start getting things together tomorrow - hooray!

Twins in that crew by the look of it, now there's a thing. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Perfect, Buffers! They look just like the B-36 crew jumpsuit I had as a boy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

flew to Burtonwood halfway between Manchester and Liverpool

My Dad saw that he was from that area and home on leave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks fine, although it looks more a bit of zink chromate yellow now and not interior green. Anyway:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/

Thanks Ben - my fault referring to it as interior green; the colour is closer to Zinc Chromate (according to iModelKit). Thanks for the link :) 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

That's some very well moulded and detailed 91.143.194.179crew for 1/72, and you did a great painting job on them :clap:

How about a white drybrush to pick out the edges and a dark grey wash to add depth? I'm sure you'll be amazed at the result 😉

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

"91.143.194.179"? Looks like an IP address... hope you've not been hacked!

I've not tried the dry brush / wash method... do you have any details please and I'll give it a go.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

If anyone is still receiving royalties for the SAC film, I think they will have probably spiked in the last couple of days.

John

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Not far to go now.

Yep: 230' v. 120'.

Thanks John and Simon - amazing eh? :) 

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Twins in that crew by the look of it, now there's a thing. :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve :D 

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Perfect, Buffers! They look just like the B-36 crew jumpsuit I had as a boy.

Thanks PC, kind of you - do you still have the jumpsuit? :) 

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

Very nice, Ced. But never mind Jimmy Stewart; the two on the left bear a striking resemblance to Alec Stewart (and the two dancers on the right look like Jack Dee).

Thanks Chris! :rofl:

12 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

My Dad saw that he was from that area and home on leave

Interesting... nice bit of family history :) 

Off for a haircut this morning... later peeps!

• Like 1

Gents, do you really need reminding or warning about quoting posts with photographs repeatedly needlessly?  Three repeats of a set of painted crew figures is unnecessary, a waste of time to scroll past and poor forum etiquette.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

For those who haven't seen it yet

Thanks very much Jamie , haven't seen the film for years . Must be one of the best films of it's type ever made.  How slow was the u/c retraction ? stroll on , our Hydraulic Rigs were quicker getting 3 greens than that .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks fine, although it looks more a bit of zink chromate yellow now and not interior green. Anyway:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/

I think it's chromate green, not interior green, FS595a  for interior green  was 34151 and zinc chromate green could be all over the place, as it was mixed by each paint manufacturer a little differently, from what I have read. Zinc chromate is a yellow color and was applied as a primer/first coat. The paint was then tinted with black to get the greenish color that was applied as a second coat- this was required, I believe to confirm 2 coats of primer were applied. IIRC Modelmaster used to have zinc chromate green as well as interior green in their old enamel line of paints. I think @Dana Bell would be the go-to guy on this subject, but I bet he's tired of answering this question over and over! (OK Dana- time to grace us with a comprehensive guide to US aircraft interior colors!)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Zinc chromate

Chromate ? Run away ! Really evil stuff . It can come back at you years later and no escape . Hopefully the model paint just looks like it .

• Like 1