What's with the golly-goshing a'postrophes?

Seawinder

2 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Bosham = Bozum

Cosham = Cosham

Gillingham - Kent - Say it like the J in Jarhead so Jillingham

Gillingham - Dorset - Say it like G in Girl so Gillingham

A couple of miles from me....

Leasingham pronounced Less-ingham

Anwick pronounced Annick

1 hour ago, Seawinder said:

A brochure from the municipality states that the Ha! Ha! is an old French slang term for "impasse," referring to a lake located in the town.

Interesting.  A Ha-ha is a ditch with a wall incorporated into one side.  It prevents access in one direction while not impeding the view in the other direction.  They were used a lot in zoos. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Interesting.  A Ha-ha is a ditch with a wall incorporated into one side.  It prevents access in one direction while not impeding the view in the other direction.  They were used a lot in zoos. 

My late wife, a landscape architect by profession, assured me it was so called after the owner's reaction to the idiots who found out about it the hard way ...

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Westward Ho!  

I always thought that was the nickname of the girls I used to encounter in Plymouth nightclubs 🤔

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, 593jones said:

Here in Barnsley is's ''gooing rahnd tarn'

Any other variations?

In Northampton its gooin' dain tain

Cogenhoe = Cook no

Happisburg = Hazeboro

Duston = Dussun

Cornwall = Kernow

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike said:

We've got one close by.  Hawarden, where the Mossie used to live, which is right next to the Airbus factory that used to make A380 wings IIRC.  It's pronounced Harden.  I remember a financial adviser in Liverpool telling me she wanted a mortgage arranging for a client in Harwarden (pronounced as it's spelt). 19 year-old me thought that was hilarious :D

Don’t forget Baggillt just across the border 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Trevor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

I don't really bother to pronounce that the proper way, as it gets a bit too spitty for my liking. @stringbag will pronounce it properly though, if you're in need. ;)

On 2/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, Seawinder said:

Photo is a frequent victim: "I've got some photo's to share." It's one photo, two photos.

I plead Guilty as charged your Honour. Have gone back through my wip and removed offending punctuation.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:50 AM, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

And there is only one G in Bagillt. 

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A short-lived local bus company had this error writ large on its entire fleet. Strangely, the correct presentation occurs directly adjacent, and the legal name was correct. Perhaps nobody had the heart to tell the chap who designed the logo.

etc.excetera

Matt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder whether such things are done by those who cannot spell, or whether they're deliberately misspelled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

I wonder whether such things are done by those who cannot spell, or whether they're deliberately misspelled.

Possibly the latter, to get people's attention.

• Like 2

It was possibly deliberate, as eXpress and eXplorer crop up quite frequently in transport branding (making a feature of the x ).

The Oxford Express coach service was, however, re-branded as Espress by a trendy consultant. Obviously referencing the coffee, but without realising that the meaning is pressed, not fast!

Matt

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

This one does occur on Britmodeller....

53576652883_45daac7cd7_b.jpg

Feel free to copy it and add it to threads where appropriate.

So a hanger is an empty hangar with a goose neck vent on top?:door:

• Haha 6

Not read the whole thread and I imagine that it has already been said - but I think a lot of it is down to poor social media app grammar and spell checkers.

I quite often find them putting in spurious apostrophes and resist my attempts to correct the mistake.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 6:32 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

funny that a lot of people offer up corrections and then make mistakes

Some people even have mistakes in their signature line 😀

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Some people even have mistakes in their signature line 😀

Its a quotation. Its not my original work. I keep it to remind me its about the idea you want to convey rather than technical correctness, which is important in places like this.

Its actually a misquotation of a quotation, but when it was said the idea of what was meant wasnt lost. Thats why Ive kept it all these years.

And your post is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

You see I dont mind the mistakes in themselves, what I dont like so much is the holier than thou people who point out mistakes while making those same mistakes themselves.

Bad grammar and poor punctuation is your enemy today. 😀

Having said that who am I to judge.

There are a couple of connected reasons why it is all too easy to make mistakes in posts.

Firstly, most of us are of an age when typing on a device touchscreen is not instinctive. 

Secondly, the human eye/brain interface is lazy, and not quite as smart as it thinks.

We read what we expect to see. If you have written something yourself, when you read it back the brain already 'knows' what is written, so does not really check it.

Proof-reading your own work is something of a non-starter.

There was a post in the joke section that said 'Accordion to research 90% of people do not notice when words are replaced by random musical instruments'.

I bet most of us who saw it had to read that twice, and I expect you just did if seeing it for the first time.

The vast majority of criticism in this thread has been directed at situations like a published book, or public signage, where you might justifiably expect more care to be taken, not at people who are posting on here.

I do, however, appreciate the irony of mistakes being made within corrections.

I have no doubt that, despite having read this through, there will be at least one typo to amuse you all.

Matt

People at work call me a grammar Nazi. I remind them that good grammar is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse....

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, scautomoton said:

People at work call me a grammar Nazi. I remind them that good grammar is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse....

A most entertaining example Herr Hauptmann, but..... capitalisation isn't actually part of grammar  😁

• Haha 2