What's with the golly-goshing a'postrophes?

Seawinder

6 minutes ago, ckw said:

So ...

That's a good one.  Everyone seems to start their sentences/posts/paragraphs with that two letter pointlessness. :owww:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

This thread is amazing!

I'm so obsessed with it, I literally can't even!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

You know, there's also this, you know, overly-gratuitous use of , you know, the phrase "you know",  you know ?

And 'like'. I've heard conversations where 'like' is every second word. But these happily seem confined to speech and I think are the  equivalent of 'ah' or  'umh'. The speaker is processing their thoughts as they speak, but the mouth is already in gear and the brain can't keep up!

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ckw said:

"we reached out to ... for comment"

It would appear that the UK is in something akin to a grammatical/speech vacuum, and it keeps pulling in words/phrases from the other side of the pond. One of the phrases that makes me feel queasy is "my bad". What?? Your bad what? Toe, hand, knee? What? What's wrong with "my mistake"? Too many syllables for you?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

One of the phrases that makes me feel queasy is "my bad". What?? Your bad what? Toe, hand, knee? What? What's wrong with "my mistake"? Too many syllables for you?

YES!  That one makes me queasy, because it's not even English grammar, and you can imagine someone still learning English searching for a word and picking "bad" because it's easy.  That and it avoids saying sorry.  Someone years ago used to say that and ever since it makes me want to spontaneously vomit and commit mortal violence.  That and Brits calling their mum "mom".  It's an Americanism, and they're entitled to it, but it's an affectation in the UK. :frantic:

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

That and Brits calling their mum "mom".  It's an Americanism, and they're entitled to it, but it's an affectation in the UK.

And the Irish have 'Mammy' - so I wonder do Americans have Yommy Mommies and Irish Yammy Mammies? 🤔

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

One of the phrases that makes me feel queasy is "my bad". What?? Your bad what? Toe, hand, knee? What? What's wrong with "my mistake"? Too many syllables for you?

In a similar vein, I get mildly vexed when people reply "I'm good"!  to the enquiry "How are you?", I'm not asking how well behaved they are, don't these people know that the correct responses are either "Fine thanks", "Alright" or "Musn't grumble".  :banghead::whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I get annoyed at the incorrect use of "nauseous".  As in "I'm feeling a bit nauseous."     They actually mean "nauseated".

Something that is "nauseous" causes people to feel nauseated. 

I also dislike the fact that the word "text" seems to have mutated from a noun into a verb.  Even worse, it seems to lost any form of tense.  Rather than saying "Fred has texted me", people will say "Fred text". It's infantile.    What's wrong with saying "Fred has sent me a text"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Wez said:

In a similar vein, I get mildly vexed when people reply "I'm good"!  to the enquiry "How are you?", I'm not asking how well behaved they are, don't these people know that the correct responses are either "Fine thanks", "Alright" or "Musn't grumble".  :banghead::whistle:

Well, just to be clear, those are actual male answers.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I also dislike the fact that the word "text" seems to have mutated from a noun into a verb.  Even worse, it seems to lost any form of tense.  Rather than saying "Fred has texted me", people will say "Fred text". It's infantile.    What's wrong with saying "Fred has sent me a text"?

That irritated me in the 90s, but I eventually got over it :wicked:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

And the Irish have 'Mammy' - so I wonder do Americans have Yommy Mommies and Irish Yammy Mammies? 🤔

Cheers

Colin

No, but they have "yo mamma" jokes....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

That and Brits calling their mum "mom".  It's an Americanism, and they're entitled to it, but it's an affectation in the UK. :frantic:

Mom is used here in Brum and the Black Country too. Like other elements of the Black Country dialect, it's probably a remnant of a middle English pronunciation which fell out of use in the rest of the UK.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

Mom is used here in Brum and the Black Country too. Like other elements of the Black Country dialect, it's probably a remnant of a middle English pronunciation which fell out of use in the rest of the UK.

That's an interesting point.   A similar thing may have happened with the American "gotten" as opposed to the British "got".  "Gotten" was in wide use in England around the time of the early waves of English settlers in the Americas.   When the language changed in England, it remained the same in the colonies.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

Ah, yes, the Black Country.

Where everybody keeps asking you if you want a kipper tie......   :)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

At this moment in time, what is wrong with now, 

also I do not think anyone understands the meaning of Decimate= losing 10% of the total

losing and loosing also annoys me.

Try "At this particular point in time, time-wise", which I heard from an Australian politician a while back!

We call this kind of rubbish "Manglish" - what about you lot?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm older than you so hold grudges longer... 

How can you tell?  You also forget quicker :wicked:

• Haha 3