1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

1 hour ago, airscale said:

..gonna be a shame to paint it

It is, but it will look great and you have the photos.

And you could always do this... sometime in the future...

49126696632_c173125c7c_b.jpg

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gents, you are all very kind

With the fuselage coming along, it was time to start another major sub assembly in the floats...

the former structure was filled with hard foam to give it a basic profile..

VyCWFW.jpg

..this was then skim filled with P38 and templates used to get the chines the right shape...

cL5KKd.jpg

..I would say there were over 30 filling/sand/prime excercises before they were in their final forms..

BoAPfn.jpg

..then the undersides were skinned...

heU2WT.jpg

jbTc9H.jpg

ThF4OT.jpg

..there were a few structural features of interest, one is the lapped panels where on the real aeroplane the panels are joggled into an overlap, and the other are these sort of serrated panels which I assume have something to do with disrupting water suction on the step of the float - these were cut one serration at a time so quite tiresome

19owrl.jpg

Qgpdgm.jpg

..on to the top surfaces now and these are covered in spaced fittings & rivets so are going to be a challenge...

rvimgi.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Wot he didn't say ^^^^^   :gobsmacked:

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just catching up, what a thing of beauty this masterpeice is turning into! Looks glorious clad in metal, I can understand your reluctance to paint it!

• Like 1

I’ m like a few others, only just discovered this, and what a discovery!

this is already looking a thing of beauty, I can’t wait to see the floats finished and on.

One thing though, could you put something alongside the fuselage when next you photograph it, as I am trying to picture the size of it in the 1/18 scale?

• Like 1

Thank you Gents, very kind :)

On 2/8/2024 at 12:17 PM, Whofan said:

One thing though, could you put something alongside the fuselage when next you photograph it, as I am trying to picture the size of it in the 1/18 scale?

Will do - next time :)

On 2/8/2024 at 1:13 PM, PeteH1969 said:

How do you produce your Rivet effects please?

Pete

Hi Pete - I use a jewelers awl and do each one, one by one...I have a few templates to help with spacing..

The saga continues with skinning the floats - these are covered in symetric rivet patterns and rather than do panel by panel, I did pairs of panels for each float. I would say over the course of a few days I did ~5k rivets..

..here are two pairs with about 1200..

iDnsLr.jpg

..again these were only lightly burnished to retain the oil canning seen on the real one - also any panel overlaps on the real one were copied..

2NxjZI.jpg

EiNosP.jpg

4AqzB6.jpg

UYdU4F.jpg

..once complete, I started the struts - I used a 3D extrusion to sheath the brass rods I set at the beginning, and then used ali foil on the floats and fuselage so I can fill to them and it will all unstick cleanly with a matching mating face..

..it can all be seen in a jig I had to make so I can get everything aligned properly & the yellow sponges apply enough upward pressure to hold them in place without distorting the position..

iXwUIx.jpg

wHQsCu.jpg

OzpILB.jpg

..the forward upper strut mounts have these odd tails, maybe to deflect water..

KQ8pgU.jpg

..these were made by embedding stiff wire into the strut and filling around it..

some of the mounting stubs are a bit short for my liking, but they can't intrude into the cockpit or they are as long as they can be before they cross each other

hopefully when mounted with JB weld they will be ok..

2zbSAw.jpg

..skinning these is going to be problematic as it won't be easy for one thing, and they would need to be a perfect fit when assembled so I haven't quite figured out how I will do it all yet..

5uIYLr.jpg

PtjwNb.jpg

5ewl6K.jpg

EXGjes.jpg

UhTlwh.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Superb Peter!!!

I take you'll be adding the float chines and the small chines after the step later on.

Don't you just wish one of these was flying still on The Solent.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all :)

On 2/12/2024 at 5:35 PM, NG899 said:

Superb Peter!!!

I take you'll be adding the float chines and the small chines after the step later on.

Hey Nick - yup, in this episode in fact :)

I finished the floats and detailed the struts, all done with litho - this includes some very long, this one piece multi hundred rivet strips that run the length of each chine..

GB1FEg.jpg

the struts were detailed as well..

za6DX4.jpg

t0euRt.jpg

QuZr5B.jpg

g7Tigk.jpg

x2PbM0.jpg

..next up the tailfeathers... the stabiliser seems to have overlapping panels, with the elevators a joggled but flush panel edge...

EisPna.jpg

..the card formers I made had tiny brass 'L' sections added to the trailing edge and were filled with P38 - then the skinning started with the outer edges as the panels overlap in this direction..

qvNgNn.jpg

..tape and dymo tape guides used to make one piece wrap around panels..

mIwRhm.jpg

..the elevators were also done and interstingly have a sheet extension at the trailing edge so this was copied by leaving the brass sheet core exposed..

nJqhIi.jpg

Q09sgJ.jpg

..the rudder was a sheet brass core with plastic ribs, then covered with scored thin plastic sheet to represent linen - I can't see any evidence of rib tape, but there is a characteristic rib feature i need to add (perhaps this is tape?)

KPXJqj.jpg

S5oAYy.jpg

..after covering, I added the Flash Gordon style counter weights..

QrXFL7.jpg

JJEOyF.jpg

..and while not fitted yet, the tail is virtually complete..

dfQXog.jpg

LoUGgH.jpg

..might do the prop next as it is starting to come together..

M7OPuZ.jpg

0MvoED.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 32