RA5C Vigilante

Only the fifth kit across the finish line this year is Trumpeter's RA5C Vigilante in 1/72, this one has been almost 3 years as WIP but now its done I think the result is worth it. Its quite a big aircraft to operate from a carrier and one that suffered a disproportional lose rate against the North Vietnamese forces due to poor tactics they were forced to follow by the Pentagon. The Trumpeter kit has its flaws which have been well documented but if you can work through those the finished aircraft is a good addition to the collection. Built OOB less the CTA decals set "Welcome to the Jungle" for  aircraft no 19313 of RVAH-6 based on the USS Constellation in 1966. Its not the usual high vis grey and white that most of the Vigilante are seen in ans I liked the more unusual 2 tone green and grey camo, the sheet also has another RA5C in a more standard SEA camo as well as A1 ,A3, A4, A6 and F4's in various camo patterns. Paints are Tamiya and Mr Hobby Colour with some oil paints and Flory washes for weathering.

eW7pw4g1_o.jpg

s2xquNUU_o.jpg

OSrou9vD_o.jpg

1hR5pMIt_o.jpg

W1zQIpbz_o.jpg

9fModrfH_o.jpg

8wKeYzXx_o.jpg

VrrOl0D3_o.jpg

8SX7IJlV_o.jpg

hOzDakoj_o.jpg

K5K0YO38_o.jpg

vM1vsjwN_o.jpg

30JoTiZ9_o.jpg

• Like 64
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Looks fantastic and lovely change from the gull grey and white. :worthy:

I've got this kit in the stash - any major issues to look out for?

Cheers,

Dermot

Biggest issue is the seam top and bottom at the rear and the gaps around the intakes, have a look at the wip.

• Like 1

I know - I know - I say this about every other model I see, but the Vigilante IS one of my alltime favourites! :frantic:

You have even 'dared' to make the camouflaged one and a true beauty it is too - well done indeed! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

Beautiful work. I truly wish someone would produce a new mold edition for RA-5C lovers, both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. Personally, I think we're overdue.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Great looking Vigilante. the unusual paint scheme suits it very well, I like it mor on the Vigi than on the Intruder.

Would like to try the intruder but have to many unbuilt kits as it is.

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful work. I truly wish someone would produce a new mold edition for RA-5C lovers, both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. Personally, I think we're overdue.

I agree, it one of those unappreciated aircraft that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Would like to see Eduard or Clearprop have a go at a modern tooling 

On 18/11/2023 at 09:18, Robert said:

Great looking model Neil. Should look good next to the B-58.

Regards

Robert 

There we are.
RA-5C Airfix / B-58 Hustler Italeri

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29221-comparing-sizes/page/2/

Edited by AV O
  • Like 2

Beautiful!  I had no idea how big these were in comparison to a Hustler!  With the wings folded and camo on, it looks very advanced and even otherworldly.  Supposedly, there's a frame sequence from Vietnam taken from an RA5C that shows the upper stage of an SA-2 coming up...  and moving slowly, slowly, slowly out of view...as the Vigilante driver turns on the gas.  These were very fast aircraft.

• Like 2