Vickers Wellesley

Good day all, Matchbox's 1/72 Vickers Wellesley. Seat harnesses and gunsights by Eduard, Bomb load from the Airfix Swordfish, scratchbuilt interior including the opened up wheel bays, Pegasus from Radial Engines and Wheels and Falcon vac-form canopy. Upper camouflage free-hand airbrushed Xtracrylix and undersides Mr Color Flat Black, with the fin flash airbrushed with Xtracolour Roundel Red and Blue. Decals from Kits World, Ventura, hobbyshop.cz and Modeldecal; all of them silvered despite a really shiny Mr Color gloss coat.

Inspiration from this photo. Some WiP photos here.

This aircraft, from 47 Sqn, was used to pick up the then Major Orde Wingate from Belaiya in Ethiopia in February 1941 while he was leader of Gideon Force. An unsung hero of a forgotten war, the Wellesley was instrumental in the campaign to prevent the Italians from driving the Allies from East Africa and then assisting the Afrika Corps by opening a southern front in North Africa.

52429328840_474dccfe13_c.jpg

52429391898_fccba9b09f_c.jpg

52429391908_419686fea5_c.jpg

52428370442_c850683ecb_c.jpg

52429328875_bb222ab460_c.jpg

52429153939_c49330f775_c.jpg

52429153834_717caa6c05_c.jpg

52428370422_7296f4bd25_c.jpg

• Like 70
  • Sad 1

Hi Dave,

the Wellesley was always labelled a good kit from Matchbox, but you have transcended the barely good: your model is great!

And I love the weathering: just right.

Congratulations.

JR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave ,

What a tremendous job you've done on this matchbox kit. It's amazing to see how Brits could manage to design such beautiful planes like , spits, mossies,and lancs etc and planes like this one , skuas, gannet .. (same in France by the way ...) lets put it as cultural richness as I'm sure it is  !! 😁 just joking ! 

Anyway good job! and thanks for sharing !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'll built that kit when it first  came out. When Matchbox got one right they were  ahead of their time. 

As for the original Wesley, Francois is right. It was no beauty but those high aspect ratio wings gave it an exceptional range. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exhausted said:

I wonder if this plane would have done better in maritime patrol or even rescue (air dropped boat)?

On 31 October 1942 a Wellesley from 47 Sqn, on maritime patrol, located and depth charged U-559. Although the U-boat was not damaged in the attack the sighting gave a location for the search, and in the subsequent engagement led to the recovery of the Enigma machine and its associated code book. Not a perfect maritime patrol aircraft, but useable.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Natter said:

On 31 October 1942 a Wellesley from 47 Sqn, on maritime patrol, located and depth charged U-559. Although the U-boat was not damaged in the attack the sighting gave a location for the search, and in the subsequent engagement led to the recovery of the Enigma machine and its associated code book. Not a perfect maritime patrol aircraft, but useable.

thanks for this useful info indeed ! 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, noelh said:

I'll built that kit when it first  came out. When Matchbox got one right they were  ahead of their time. 

As for the original Wesley, Francois is right. It was no beauty but those high aspect ratio wings gave it an exceptional range. 

you're right ! Matchbox made our days on these ancients times !! and yes yes where really ahead on many aspects ! thanks for these " souvenirs " 😉

• Thanks 1

Probably the best example of a Matchbox Wellesley I’ve ever come across. That’s just brilliant in every way and the open bomb pannier ticks off a beautiful all round build. Two big ticks from me my friend. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

The silvering is not obvious, or did you over paint it?

I did think about trying to overpaint, but with the serials (individual letters and numbers from Ventura) and the fuselage codes it would be quite tricky. The underside roundels are probably the worst, but fortunately the edge of the decal film is very narrow. Lesson learned; if I use any of the decals remaining on the sheets I'll try settling them on to a pool of Klear (I still have two original bottles!).

• Like 1