Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

That Lincoln is magnificent.  As some have hinted, probably the property of some legitimate business men (Simpsons fans will get the reference).

Travelling north up the M40 this evening I was treated to a positive car show travelling in the opposite direction.  It's probably simplest to list them:

TVR, not sure what model but possibly a Vixen, Griffith or Tuscan.

Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer, in dark red and looking stunning.

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé going pretty quickly as far as I could tell.

Aston Martin V8 Volante or possibly Vantage Volante

Aston Martin DB Mk.III.

Triumph TR2 or TR3 (could only see the top half as it went past).

Bond bug towing a tiny, colour-co-ordinated trailer.

• Like 6

Two interesting coupes snuck in amongst the exotica at today's Bicester Scramble. First is an interesting one:

P2180644

It's a Dove GTR4, based on the Triumph GT4 and even in period magazines mistakenly referred to as a "Dové", I think because the badge has a lightning flash behind the 'e' which makes it look like an acute accent on the last letter. They were made by Harrington for LF Dove (no accent) of Wimbledon.

The second coupe (OK - coupé) was an MGA-based concoction, with a sniff of French carrosserie about it (or maybe Fiat 8V Rapi?):

P2180585

P2180584

I'm not really an MG fan but I do like that!

• Like 16

44 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I'm not really an MG fan

Ditto*.  About the only MG I'd consider having is an A.  Helps that I get to play with a relative's one every so often, which is dove grey with a dark red interior, which is a not usually seen, but very attractive factory scheme.  This coupe one is really special - liking it a lot!

*I've heard / read far too many MG fanatics making silly claims which only highlighted that they clearly knew nothing of the company's parts bin origins.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 3

When I were lad, an MG (and, in particular, the MG-B) over here was often referred to as a "road louse" or "mechanised cockroach". Usually driven by young-men-around-town whose daddies had bought it for them, and useful for pose value more than anything else.

• Like 2

Yesterday (early) afternoon, I spotted a red GT40 heading towards Sleaford on the A153.  Had an M suffix reg plate, so perhaps it was a replica.  Sounded nice, though!

Trevor

• Like 2

Resurrection can happen!

some 6 years ago, I spotted a red (faded pink) MR2 Mk2 in a driveway that didn't seem to move. I plucked up the courage to ask the owner if it was available. He said it was his wife's, she didn't drive it any more, but loved it so much that she was reluctant to sell it on.

Anyway, five years later and it was still there, even more faded pink and getting a bit mossy green.

Well...today I spotted it, on the road and in gleaming red; either a respray or the hell of a lot of T Cut. So, somebody bought it and resurrected it...well done that man.

• Like 6

Agreed!  My favourite Ford from the '60s era, often overlooked by Cortina and Zephyr fans.  Lovely clean understated lines, neat interior.  Glad to see this one is sans chrome waistline strips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting Corsair. I've just bought the Trumpeter 1/12 GT40 kit and was intending to build it in honour of Ken Miles.

Well, it's in Arcadian blue, a Ford Mustang colour of the mid 60's. When I showed the wife my attempt to mix it, she said "My dad had a Corsair that colour" - and there it is...not her dad's car, but an Arcadian blue corsair and looks in very good nick.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Loughborough today. A mid fifties Vauxhall Velox Hearse in gleaming black and in a lovely condition!

I think the Velox was built in Australia as a Holden?

I have seen that Hearse at shows it is in great condition and so it should be.

• Like 2

I saw a Wolseley yesterday with what looked like circular lights either side of the radiator, 'inboard' of the headlamps.  I guess that would make it a 6/99 or a 6/110, not that I'd be able to tell the difference just by looking at it.

Until a few months ago, Ken Lawford Motors near Harolds Cross had a Rolls Royce Silver Spur in their showroom, price €21500.  It made for an interesting comparison in price with the Jaguar XK120 which was going at the same place for €120000.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Loughborough today. A mid fifties Vauxhall Velox Hearse in gleaming black and in a lovely condition!

I think the Velox was built in Australia as a Holden?

Nope. GMH did build Vauxhalls out here in the '50s, from CKD packs and sold as Vauxhalls. Quite some time later, they built Vauxhall Vivas here and sold them as Holdens, but that was in the '60s or '70s.

• Like 3

Got a bit excited when I saw this today, the Targa Rally had hit town & this was in the competitive class, shades of what @cmatthewbacon is building just now. In conversation with the owner/driver, he said he had a mate building him one from the Tamiya MGB kit & a Sebring add on kit, sounded a bit familiar. 😉

1968 MG C GT

Hope to have some more piccies after tomorrow.

Steve 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1