Grumman Avenger MkII, 849 NAS, FAA.

Good Morning All!

I seem to be having a good output lately and this was one of my latest, built as part of the 'In the Navy' group build elsewhere in BM. As that GB is now well and truly over (thanks mods!) I thought I would share my efforts here as well for those that don't frequent the GB section so much.

This is my Grumman Avenger MKII, JZ525 of 849 NAS onboard HMS Illustrious as part of the British Pacific Fleet. Kit is the 1:48 Italeri version, which is a repop of the Accurate Miniatures kit. I used an Eduard internal etch, mainly for the seat harnesses and instrument panel. I totally remodelled the centre cockpit based on all available information and a bit of good old imagination. The decals are from an old Aeromaster decal set, they weren't in a very good condition but I managed to adapt and overcome with a bit of imaginative repairing. The internal paints were from the Mig Ammo range and externals were from the ModelMaster Acryl range. Not sure about the weapon load or Yagi aerials being correct but hey ho I chucked them in any way. I deliberately left her unweathered as I didn't want to screw up the paint work 😁 I had been eyeing this up in my stash for what seemed like ages, must be over 15 years now. It felt good to finally get it done!

Onto the phots!

20200422_113123

20200422_113222

20200422_112945

20200422_113138

20200422_113211

20200422_112959

20200422_113500

20200422_113354

Internal detail is quite hard to see so here are a few in progress shots

20200223_202901

20200223_202910

And if you want to follow the trials and tribulations here is the build thread.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 44

Lovely finish Bob - love the scratch building on the observer position! I must revitalise my own stalled build (I'm hanging out for a spare set of blister windows, as mine is the Hobby Boss kit!)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

What a cracker Bob, your model is lovely, great work.  I have one to do in the stash and will be very pleased if it turns out as good as your one.

Chris

Edit, I have looked at your build thread and have added to favourites so I can refer back to it for very useful reference. Thank you for posting.

• Like 2

Lovely stuff and good effort with creating the rear cockpit. Well done!

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Bob - love the scratch building on the observer position! I must revitalise my own stalled build (I'm hanging out for a spare set of blister windows, as mine is the Hobby Boss kit!)

Cheers,

Roger

I ended up buying an italeri kit, nicking the windows then selling it on!

• Haha 4

Nice build on this. Like Chris above, I've bookmarked your WiP against the day I get around to building my 1/72 version. These aircraft really did the hard yards with the BPF & their crews well deserve our respect.

Steve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mick b said:

Superb model Bob, paintwork is spot on. Accurate Miniatures did a great job with the Avenger.

Mike

Definitely agree and the interior is wonderful!

• Like 1

Yes, excellent.

It's so blinkin' hot where I am at the moment I can't do any plastic-bashing of my own, so very happy to just remain sparko and view the work of others!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 1:43 PM, dov said:

Nice!

Just to add: Did you ever try the challenge of a wing fold?

I did ponder on it and i think a second one would be folded but i think those Wolfpack conversions are expensive and rare aren't they? (Edit, or am i thinking Danger Hobby? Danger Boy? ) I thought on the Hobbyboss kit but i think the Accurate Miniatures kits are so much better. If i can get z set i would go folded. Youve produce a fine example yourself.