1/72 - Fairey Delta FD.2 by Dora Wings - released

Homebee

Hi all.
The decal work is close to completion.
It remains to draw two technical inscriptions. But we cannot reliably read the inscriptions. If anyone knows, please help!

2-5238000333036205087.jpg
P.S. A decal maquette attached. Perhaps we missed something else - let me know. Thanks !!!

FD-2.jpg

• Like 13

Well I suppose the lower right is "jacking point". The other on top is ending with "... release" - but the first word seems rather short. Does not seem to be "canopy". Looks more like "here" but makes not much sense in front of "release" IMHO. If I get an idea, I will let you know...

May I comment on the draft sheet?

I guess the yellow spears and inscriptions are for WG774 in the so called 'mauve' scheme. If this is the case, they actually should be cream, not yellow.

The fuselage and wing serials have incorrect colors: WG774 (natural metal) all black, WG774 (mauve) all cream, WG777 all white 🙂

See here for the mauve scheme: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdWxOPmWkAE3Ia4?format=jpg&name=medium

The white details for WG777 are correct only for the aircraft as it is now at the Cosford museum. If you want to represent it as it was in service at RAE Bedford there are some subtle differences in the serials character and the shape of the front spear. In this image there is also the very odd single roundel on the back which it wore for some years, though also the usual wing location is correct. 

WG777

Don't want to be destructive, just trying to help for a more correct result when there's still time 🙂

Keep up the good work, this is an iconic subject which deserves a state of the art kit!

Edited by Whirly
added the note on serial color
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The lower one is definitely 'JACKING POINT', and my feeling is that the upper one is 'HOOD RELEASE'. Increasing the contrast of the image posted above shows the 2nd and 3rd letters in the first word look just like the 'O' in 'TO OPEN'. There's another image available online at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuM4g7HWkAMk5mD?format=jpg&name=medium. I won't post the image myself in case it's copyrighted but it's easily found with a Google search.

Regards, Jeff

Edited by Jeff Wilson
Minor typo...
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

My money is on "HOOD RELEASE"  Along with the "TO OPEN" and the anti-clockwise arrow underneath makes the most sense.

That would make it consistent with the other 'hood jettison' marking in front of the windscreen. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, Jeff Wilson said:

The lower one is definitely 'JACKING POINT', and my feeling is that the upper one is 'HOOD RELEASE'. Increasing the contrast of the image posted above shows the 2nd and 3rd letters in the first word look just like the 'O' in 'TO OPEN'. There's another image available online at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuM4g7HWkAMk5mD?format=jpg&name=medium. I won't post the image myself in case it's copyrighted but it's easily found with a Google search.

Regards, Jeff

The image in that link makes me wonder if the Fairey Delta 1132 logo is painted in red.

Red paint or red herring?

Tony

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tony.t said:

The image in that link makes me wonder if the Fairey Delta 1132 logo is painted in red.

Red paint or red herring?

Tony

Hi Tony, I too had the same feeling at first sight, then I went through my references and found this image:

Fairey_Delta_Original_03

Back on the topic of serials, I found confirmation that WG777 in the blue livery had the uncommon angular serial on the fuselage sides, BUT the underwing ones were in the usual rounded character.

The difference is very visible here https://www.shutterstock.com/it/editorial/image-editorial/fairey-delta-2-fd2-internal-designation-type-1386106a

and (not so well) in this well known shot where it is flying with the BAC221.

WG777 underside

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know this is probably my imagination… but darned if that doesn't remind me of a Mirage ? Do you think the French copied the basic layout for the III ? 

Was it the only delta wing plane or the first ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know this is probably my imagination… but darned if that doesn't remind me of a Mirage ? Do you think the French copied the basic layout for the III ? 

Fairey help Dassault by providing technical data.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We discussed this a few years ago here:

Dassault had already designed his first delta when he came in contact with the FD2 so the Mirage was not a copy but derived from a separate line starting with the MD550. The French however had access to data from the FD2 program so it is likely that some of this information was of some use. 

The operational Mirage III in any case retained the low wing and side mounted intakes of the MD550, making it quite different from the FD2.

Regarding other delta winged types, the concept had been studied indipendently by many starting quite early in the history of aviation (and actually even before) so there's no real "inventor" of the delta wing.

In any case the first jet powered delta winged aircraft was the Convair XF-92 in 1948

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

In any case the first jet powered delta winged aircraft was the Convair XF-92 in 1948

Though the first delta of any kind was the Lippisch glider and the ramjet version was in wind tunnel testing when the Soviet founds it 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think Dassault was given access to some of the research and flight characteristics but they were already going down that road. They went with a low wing delta as opposed to the mid-wing lay out of the Fairey. They are both very attractive aircraft though, in my humble opinion.  

Edited: Oooops just seen that Giorgio has already made that point.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 7:49 PM, Retired Bob said:

As @Whirly commented, it should be mauve and cream scheme.  But, agree with the "Huzzah!"

Oh yes. So it is. Let's hope it gets corrected prior to release.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 1:03 AM, MiG-Mech said:

Was it the only delta wing plane or the first ?

The Avro 707s & 698 Vulcan, Boulton Paul 111 & 120, Fairey FD1 Delta, Gloster GA5 Javelin, Nord Gerfaut, Douglas F4D Skyray and Convairs' XF-92, F-102 Delta Dagger and F2Y Sea Dart all preceded the Fairey FD2 as deltas.  They can likely thank Payen and Lippisch for their delta research work.

Dassault were already going down the delta route with the MD550/Mirage I by the time the FD2 was first flown.

FD2 WG774 was sent to Cazaux, France,  in late 1956 where it was flown in close co-operation with the French company and undoubtedly provided valuable data to the Mirage III programme, but they are quite different machines built to very different requirements in reality.

Really looking forward to this kit from Dora, for just two FD2s built, it's surprising just how many paint/finish variations that there were.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1