80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

I can feel a Bentwaters/Woodbridge A10A in Lizard coming on.....

Amen brother! Have the 1/72 Italeri kit and some old but good Model decals to do precisely that. . . right after my EF111A, oh and a Bitburg F-15!

• Like 3

I will be building a lizard A-10 from Alconbury.

I left my A-10 for another day.

Looks like the Su-25 has its work cut out against that lot!

• Like 1

I've just moved my four from The Stash to The Ledge. Now entering TTW...

Exciting times Enzo. Wonder what you've got planned :hmmm:

Sorry to hear your kit is missing some essential parts :(

As for the Iceland question; the mod team are currently considering this as there are some arguments both for and against its inclusion so please bear with us on this one.

Thought that might be trouble :evil_laugh:

Anyway thing of doing another airfix harrier gr3 for this inbox markings, though see Jaime's already gon for that option, do have decals for lightning F6 in the lighter grey scheme as well so another option, also not yet done a jaguar so again another good option

course love to do a fujimi phantom......but I haven't got an account registered in panama....

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

Iceland is still Europe as far as my education tells me....

And you say UK wich is also an "island" in Europe.

Either it's Europe or its Europe?

I totally agree with Ørjan. The USAF forces at Keflavik were rather important for NATO during the 80s. If they are excluded from this GB, for some understandable reasons, you would have to exclude quite a lot.

Nils

• Like 2

Amen brother! Have the 1/72 Italeri kit and some old but good Model decals to do precisely that. . . right after my EF111A, oh and a Bitburg F-15!

I have an EF11A and an F111F - saving them for the STGB though...was tempted!

I will be building a lizard A-10 from Alconbury.

Cool - I have an Italeri kit to do with Alconbury markings - be part of my USAFE project.....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966506-raf-lakenheathusaferaf-and-other-regular-visitors-project-childhood-memories/?hl=usafe

What scale Tim?

I've been looking for a 1/32 one for ages as well!

David

Was Monogram 1/48 - a Lakenheath Bird from my ongoing USAFE project (I am from Lakenheath).

BD307431-7B05-4198-B934-131BF0BE05D3_zps

D462B5E8-0BCC-4809-A28E-82DC58A21096_zps

GR5s have a very small window of opportunity during the 80s. How about a GR3 instead?

Yes - the aftermarket decals I have are for 1989....I have a 1/72 GR5 in the stash....the 1/48 GR3 I have is for a Falklands build......kinda kills 2 birds with one stone!!

• Like 1

I totally agree with Ørjan. The USAF forces at Keflavik were rather important for NATO during the 80s. If they are excluded from this GB, for some understandable reasons, you would have to exclude quite a lot.

Nils

I was thinking the same, Bears,Badger,Backfires Etc intercepts were all cold war related.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wrF-3eiE--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/775368496043095621.jpg

I'm tempted by this GB, but what to build?

• Like 1

Come to think of it the hasegawa f-16cj I have can be backdated to an 80s bird as the base kit is such, just need the decals EDIT, just remembered I have decals for an 80s Luftwaffe Tornado, but after trying they for the tornado tribute STGB last year I'm not sure I'm feeling stupid enough to try again given the nightmare I had with the normally reliable Revell Aqua paints

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

ok after lots of discussion within Mod's team I drew the short straw so here's what we have come up with, it will be a bit long winded but I hopefully will explain why we came to this decision.

There are so many different ways this GB can be looked at and all are correct, but we need to go back to the original spirit of the GB. This for want of a better way to describe is a smaller part or initial scenario of what would have been a much bigger conflict between NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

The original idea as Paul had thought it was a conflict that was Europe-centric and based with things kicking off along the FRG/GDR-CSSR border. The “Fulda Gap” was pretty high on the list of possible places things would have started…but I’m digressing.

So with this time period in mind and this location we’d have some pretty cool 80’s heavy metal equipment to play with, from the keys players in that region at that time.

We didn’t what to expand it too much as things start to get very complicated as to what equipment could and couldn’t be used. So we tried to limit it to this area and the key players.

To do this we wanted the equipment to be either solely based in the continent or to have been deployed there in that time period, OR tasked to operate over this part Continental Europe at the time. So operations for UK bases over Continental Europe are ok, sad to say E.E. Lightnings were not eligible. So you will need to do some research to check where and when your build was in this particular region, keep it simple and you'll have no issues.

So what’s this mean, well the current eligibility rules will stay in place, and we have had to add Greece and Turkey to the list for not being eligible for this build either.

There are a couple of books that have been recommended that suit the spirit of this GB:

"Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle

"Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb

Now the ideas of Iceland, Greece and Turkey being involved in a NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB are very good ones as they would allow for the “white water” stuff as well…which means the ship builders can join the fun. These really should be put forward as future GB ideas, but they’d need to be carefully defined right from the start.

I would just like to add there has been a lot of behind the scenes work on this to try and come to up with the best result with the original concept in mind. No one person has made the decision, so please don’t get upset with anyone!

So hopefully this clears up everything.

If I have forgotten or missed anything then hopefully one of the other Mods will pick it up.

• Like 1

ok after lots of discussion within Mod's team I drew the short straw so here's what we have come up with, it will be a bit long winded but I hopefully will explain why we came to this decision.

There are so many different ways this GB can be looked at and all are correct, but we need to go back to the original spirit of the GB. This for want of a better way to describe is a smaller part or initial scenario of what would have been a much bigger conflict between NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

The original idea as Paul had thought it was a conflict that was Europe-centric and based with things kicking off along the FRG/GDR-CSSR border. The “Fulda Gap” was pretty high on the list of possible places things would have started…but I’m digressing.

So with this time period in mind and this location we’d have some pretty cool 80’s heavy metal equipment to play with, from the keys players in that region at that time.

We didn’t what to expand it too much as things start to get very complicated as to what equipment could and couldn’t be used. So we tried to limit it to this area and the key players.

To do this we wanted the equipment to be either solely based in the continent or to have been deployed there in that time period, OR tasked to operate over this part Continental Europe at the time. So operations for UK bases over Continental Europe are ok, sad to say E.E. Lightnings were not eligible. So you will need to do some research to check where and when your build was in this particular region, keep it simple and you'll have no issues.

So what’s this mean, well the current eligibility rules will stay in place, and we have had to add Greece and Turkey to the list for not being eligible for this build either.

There are a couple of books that have been recommended that suit the spirit of this GB:

"Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle

"Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb

Now the ideas of Iceland, Greece and Turkey being involved in a NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB are very good ones as they would allow for the “white water” stuff as well…which means the ship builders can join the fun. These really should be put forward as future GB ideas, but they’d need to be carefully defined right from the start.

I would just like to add there has been a lot of behind the scenes work on this to try and come to up with the best result with the original concept in mind. No one person has made the decision, so please don’t get upset with anyone!

If I have forgotten or missed anything then hopefully one of the other Mods will pick it up.

No ships then, fair enough I withdraw then.

Richard

Edited by Richard G

Im still a bit baffled, but it doesnt affect my build, so no worries. Maybe a highlighted map would be a good idea for future GBs of this ilk? Would save a load of questions and confustication.

• Like 2

Don't want to muddy the already murky waters on eligibility, but as Greece and Turkey have now been excluded from the NATO side how do we stand with Bulgaria and Romania from the Warsaw Pact side? I only ask as it will affect what I decide to build and I don't want to gather materials/info for a build to then have to change tack.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the mods may have to go through each proposed build and OK each one if there is some confusion? FWIW my two proposed builds are definitely front-line defence missile systems and easily will have been present in the time period but they have no specific units other than 'Polish Army' or 'Russian Army'

• Like 1