What concerns you most it keeps you awake at night?

Philly1860

This was a question asked of me many years ago in a Meeting with a Multinational company I was courting to do business in Ireland in a time before recessions and life resulted in me settling in Texas but that's another story.

I thought it was one of the best questions I've ever been asked.  The person asking had no real purpose to the question other than they were asked it in an interview and like me thought it was an excellent question to ask anyone.  I suppose it is more of a rhetorical one.  We had a good chat about the question and how to answer it.  We came to the conclusion there is no right or wrong answer.  However, we agreed that whatever one's answer was that was one's biggest problem.

This has on occasion surprised me when I ask myself this question and this is the problem I tackle first as it is the one keeping me awake.  Sometimes it is a seemingly trivial issue sometimes not.  But whatever the issue is that's the one that goes to the top of the list of problems to solve. 

Happy Monday.

Colin

• Like 2

My dodgy digestive system. Hopefully this latest batch of medication will have an effect and I can get more than 90 minutes of sleep between wake ups.

(You really don't want to know what happens every 60 to 90 minutes)

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

My dodgy digestive system. Hopefully this latest batch of medication will have an effect and I can get more than 90 minutes of sleep between wake ups.

(You really don't want to know what happens every 60 to 90 minutes)

If it’s anything like mine I don't need to ask. As for @Philly1860’s question, nothing really anymore. I am a student of history one of my favorites is Viking’s and their history. I came across a little nugget of a advice while reading about them one time. “If by losing sleep & worrying about something will help, then by all means do so. If nothing is accomplished by the act of worrying and losing sleep. Then it is not so bothersome as to keep you awake”. Sadly I cannot remember the location or author at the moment. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Designing leather items and working out how to construct them. Almost always comes when I'm tired and about to drop off into sleep and I can do nowt about it until after 9 in the morning

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Never really had a problem getting to sleep and often sleep through the night, but I go through phases where I dream very clearly and it wakes me up - usually dreams where I'm struggling to explain myself or to sort out a problem. The subject/circumstances I dream about are generally irrelevant to the actual issue, but I've learnt over the years to take it as a warning that something is unsettling me more than I want it to (even if I haven't yet identified what it is) and that I need to find and address that 'something' before it becomes a larger matter.

• Like 2

When I posed it this morning it was meant to be more of a rhetorical one and I hadn't expected any actual responses.  However, I've enjoyed reading your post and to my surprise can relate to quite a few of them.  Regarding the effects of some medications on bodily functions I'm reminded of an Amazon review of Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears.  I don't have the link to it to hand but will try to find it, you may be amused by it.

I've been trying to find Modeling topics to post about such as Airbrush v's Hairy Stick, Enamel or Acrylic, indeed which brand to use, what's the best thinner etc.  However, before I posed a question, I did some homework to see if I could find an answer on the forum and in most cases, someone has recently asked my question already and received plenty of helpful advice in return.  So, the real purpose of my post this morning was to add a little levity to a dull Monday morning (and clock up another post to be honest).  I will be reviewing the various topics on which I have questions and try to collate the information already on the forum and come up with some good follow up questions.

Thank you all for responding and for brightening up my day,

Regards

Colin 

• Like 4

I normally drop off to sleep within 4-5mins of head hitting the pillow.

Other responses to the question could be:

"wondering where else to bury the bodies"...

"wondering what electric eels were called prior to the invention of electricity"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

To quote the late Frank Carson, every morning when I wake up I stretch my arms. If they don't hit the side of a coffin, it's going to be a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

What a great question!

Not much keeps me awake normally, but I do find that 'stuff' related to work or things I'm trying to work out (fixing and making things or DIY projects) are the main culprits.

In a previous and very busy career, I did suffer with sleep loss .... sometimes due to being out on calls in the night and others down to workload and juggling multiple tasks.  I kept a notebook and pen by the bed and if I woke up, would write down what it was that had done so.  

It helped as I could pick it up the next day. 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

When I was working, work would keep me awake. I am, and have been for years, a poor sleeper. When we had an earthquake (very rare in the west of goods own county), I pinged awake, but Mrs T slept solidly. Oh and bladder pressure will wake me, partly due to medication. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

add a little levity to a dull Monday morning (and clock up another post to be honest).

Well, as someone might've said, one out of two ain't bad.

Levity = tick; clocking up another post = not so much.

Sorry to say that (from my very limited understanding) posts here in 'Chat' don't actually qualify as 'posts' and won't show on your post count.

Good effort though.

Mark

PS what keeps me awake is worrying if it's my turn to make the morning pot of tea.

• Haha 1

I'm not kept awake by worry too much, but when it does it's usually that someone will be harmed at work and I'll be held accountable.  I'm in charge of building services in a large complex estate and there's always something that's non-compliant.  Apart from that I have the occasional family worry that keeps me awake.  Once or twice I've worried that the best of my years are behind me and I haven't achieved my potential, whatever that is.

Quite often I'll be woken up by my wife's snoring, but that doesn't come under the category of worry.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 1

Thanks @Mark Harmsworth for the HeadsUp.  I have been looking for, what I would call meaningful posts and had a list of questions to ask but they had all just recently been asked by others 😞.  I will be going back over my questions an the info h=on those topics here and see if I currently need more assistance and help from the Members.  I didn't want to re-ask a question that was just asked and answered.  As my old school reports would say "Must try Harder" 😁.

@3DStewart my wife's snoring does that to me too.  There are usually plenty of troubles/problems in our lives and sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming.  In these situations, I try to answer my question as the one currently keeping me awake is the most important one to me at that given point in time.  However, once you tackle that one another will usually pop up in it place!  Theen the process begins again, It's not a perfect problem-solving solution but it helps me get started and once you start you are 1 step closer to finishing.

I do have another little mantra I'll recite to myself, it's all about mind over matter 

"I don't mind and they don't matter"

Happy Tuesdays

Colin

• Like 2

Serious bit - I find I wake up every night (and I do mean every for the last ten years at least) at some point and find that my mind has been chewing over some clients problem and how I might try and save themselves from themselves.  Of course once they are so saved they then try and find 101 reasons not to pay the bill for saving their life - metaphorically at least.  Which means I also end up waking and wondering how to pay mine at times.

A client recently mentioned his Irish ancestry and on the subject above he told me of an old Irish proverb - "Bread once eaten is quickly forgotten"

• Like 1

I know that saying @JohnT.  Yes getting paid is always a problem.  I had a similar issue when working for myself.  I agreed a Fee for professional services for another professional firm.  Delivered and when it came to payment, they tried to start horse trading over the fee.  Bluntly told them I wasn't selling Carpets out the back of a Transit and that we had an agreed price.  Incidentally this was the firm I had previously worked for before I went out on my own.  I did end up discounting my fee by 5% to get paid (cash flow and all that).  It was a good lesson learned and the next work I did for them I added the 5% into my fee.

My Brother has a similar problem getting paid so his solution as he does a lot of repeat service type of work was to work of retainers where his clients would buy chunks of time from him in advance and dray down on it each they needed his services.  Great solution as you it puts you in a better cash flow position but doesn't suite all business models/services and can be hard to get people to basically pay in advance.  He breaks it up into small parcels so neither party is exposed too much.

Colin

• Like 1