Arctic Harrier

Very nice representation! Particularly like the grubby white paintwork.

Just a few  Selwyn pedantic notes for  modellers;

The Bedford MK tankers were not normally used with Harriers as they did not carry enough fuel to refuel one! OK for helicopters,  site vehicle/houchin replenishment and static fuel pumps though.

Drop tanks did not have a integral pylon the pylon stayed on the aircraft.

And thats a MHU 141 american bomb trolley not used by the RAF. You would need a Type S trolley bomb to be correct but only on base,  Eager beavers and Skid trolleys were used to get bombs to the aircraft on site.

Selwyn

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Great scene. I love the finish on the Harrier. Always nice to see a bit of ground equipment and vehicles.

• Thanks 1

• cardiff guy changed the title to Arctic Harrier
3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Very nice representation! Particularly like the grubby white paintwork.

Just a few  Selwyn pedantic notes for  modellers;

The Bedford MK tankers were not normally used with Harriers as they did not carry enough fuel to refuel one! OK for helicopters,  site vehicle/houchin replenishment and static fuel pumps though.

Drop tanks did not have a integral pylon the pylon stayed on the aircraft.

And thats a MHU 141 american bomb trolley not used by the RAF. You would need a Type S trolley bomb to be correct but only on base,  Eager beavers and Skid trolleys were used to get bombs to the aircraft on site.

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn I really need to get some RAF specific ground equipment. What bowser was used when they deployed to the field? 

Regards Glenn.

1 hour ago, RAF4EVER said:

Title should be Arctic, not Artic, I was looking for a Prime mover and trailer😈

Doh, sorry been rectified.

regards Glenn.

3 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

Thanks Selwyn I really need to get some RAF specific ground equipment. What bowser was used when they deployed to the field? 

Regards Glenn.

They didn't normally use a bowser in the field in Germany, they were used on the main base (Gut used  AEC Mammoth Major and Leyland hippos when I was there), When deployed the fuel was in pillow tanks and piped directly to a refuelling point at the aircraft hide.

In Norway I don't really know. Could possibly be pillow tanks, or  either a RAF AEC Mammoth Major, or whatever the Norwegian air force used for refuelling. Ground equipment was kept to the minimum, more stuff to carry! No weapon loaders and usually just a Houchin GPU  on the back of a lorry.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding, absolutely love this, the whole set up looks amazing a really captures the essence of 80’s RAF equipment. Brilliant work.

• Thanks 1

I liked the whole shebang! 

I've no idea about the accuracy of the various elements in the scene.. but it works for me ! 

What caught my eye was the title 'Arctic Harrier'. Very nice weathering  throughout and I really like the Bedford Tanker.( Many years ago I drove a parcel delivery lorry which had this Bedford cab - massive steering wheel and NO power steering!)

Thanks for showing...

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

Baffles me Airfix never issued a 1/76 AEC Mammoth Major 3000gal Refueler since the B. W. Models is now unobtainium.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:03 PM, Ad-4N said:

Baffles me Airfix never issued a 1/76 AEC Mammoth Major 3000gal Refueler since the B. W. Models is now unobtainium.  

This would be nice along with one of the 80's crash tenders 👍

• Like 1

Very nice work!  You've captured the worn look on the grey/white camo really well 👌 

Both Harriers look good together and it's a nice scene too. 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:03 PM, Ad-4N said:

Airgraphics released the AEC Mammoth before Christmas. Looks like they've sold well (one left on the website).  https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/gse-041-aec-mammoth-major-aircraft-refueller

That's a very nice little Harrier and Bedford.

• Thanks 1