1/72- Consolidated B-24H Liberator by Airfix - released

Homebee

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Good choice, Airfix. B-24 kits are surprisingly thin on the ground. I'm hoping for a Coastal Command release in the future.

Agreed - a surprising hole in the market. Academy and Hasegawa releases (and the Eduard rebox) are hard to find. 

If they follow the Wellington route and release several versions plus coastal command they're on a winner.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scott_ said:

If they follow the Wellington route and release several versions plus coastal command they're on a winner

I hope that the interior is also on the same level as their Wellington, not like their B-17G. 

Extra bonus: new/re-released aftermarket thingamajigs such as air bottles, filters, engine sets and other goodies that can also be used for Hase or Academy kits.

:penguin:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scott_ said:

Agreed - a surprising hole in the market. Academy and Hasegawa releases (and the Eduard rebox) are hard to find. 

If they follow the Wellington route and release several versions plus coastal command they're on a winner.

The Hasegawa B-24J is being re released shortly and Academy are going to release the Minicraft B-24H this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The Hasegawa B-24J is being re released shortly and Academy are going to release the Minicraft B-24H this year.

I don't know anything about the realative quality of these two kits but just checking Hannants, they show the 1/72 Academy B-24H as a future release at £20.69 which looks remarkably good value. On the other hand the Hasegawa B-24J  is an eye watering £69.99, Neither kit is shown as available. Hannants have the new Airfix kit at £42.29 pre-order, I didn't think was too bad for a new kit.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RichG said:

I don't know anything about the realative quality of these two kits but just checking Hannants, they show the 1/72 Academy B-24H as a future release at £20.69 which looks remarkably good value. On the other hand the Hasegawa B-24J  is an eye watering £69.99, Neither kit is shown as available. Hannants have the new Airfix kit at £42.29 pre-order, I didn't think was too bad for a new kit.  

I hazard a guess the low price is as the Minecraft tools got acquired for what accountants call the square root of diddly squat

• Like 1

The Academy H is just their Consolidated- built J with an H-style nose turret. Most H models were built by Ford which has a completely different front fuselage, not just the turret. The H has not been accurately kitted at this point, so the Airfix kit breaks new ground in the B-24 stakes.

Other defects with the Academy kit are too small engines and nacelles and a too tapered rear fuselage in plan view as they made the tail turret smaller diameter than the nose turret (!). Plus minimal interior. Not really a good starting point for an accurate Liberator.

The Hasegawa kit, although a fairly good representation of a D and J is nevertheless far from perfect and this Airfix kit should set a new standard in 1/72 Liberators....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I hazard a guess the low price is as the Minecraft tools got acquired for what accountants call the square root of diddly squat

Well the Minecraft B-24 is rather blocky 😂

12683343-smallbuilds_l.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 22

15 hours ago, Mr T said:

Can't see my Academy one being built now. 

Keep it in reserve!  

Wow--good on Airfix for this exciting release.  Depending on the parts breakdown, I foresee a J in our future too.  I don't think the RAF had the H.

• Thanks 1

Excellent. I have been asking for a Ford nose H for what seems like ages and after seeing the news had me searching for the cases I set out on the Airfix forum back in 2018.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/forum/new-b-24h-with-ford-nose-as-on-most-uk-based-b-24s-in-ww2?p=1

I'd love to think someone at Airfix read it and thought the idea had enough merit to pick up the phone to the future projects department. Probably just a coincidence though, but having finally got what I asked for I feel justified in buying at least five. I actually have an agreement with the village postman that he will only deliver kits when he sees that my wife's car isn't in the drive, hence the stash can grow without attracting unwelcome attention.

Excellent. I have been asking for a Ford nose H for what seems like ages and after seeing the news had me searching for the cases I set out on the Airfix forum back in 2018.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/forum/new-b-24h-with-ford-nose-as-on-most-uk-based-b-24s-in-ww2?p=1

I'd love to think someone at Airfix read it and thought the idea had enough merit to pick up the phone to the future projects department. Probably just a coincidence though, but having finally got what I asked for I feel justified in buying at least five. I actually have an agreement with the village postman that he will only deliver kits when he sees that my wife's car isn't in the drive, hence the stash can grow without attracting unwelcome attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Sorry Airfix - at £46.99 I will not be cancelling my back order for the Academy re issue. Not only is the Academy one half the price and comes with Zodiac marking from Sudbury based Aircraft which meets my self imposed rule of only modelling local subjects.

Paul. I'm local to the former RAF Sudbury too - often go for a walk along the runways and peri track to get some fresh air - but be aware that despite the great box art Academy Zodiac kits do not give you the correct H version for the decals provided, with the Ford nose configuration the biggest difference. Personally I'd go for the new Airfix kit and acquire one of the Kits-World Zodiacs decal sets.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

They need a circle-R on “B-24” now? Who is getting royalties, the USAF?

Boeing, in their usual way of grabbing everything. Consolidated was acquired by Boeing via McDD. The registered trademarks survive indefinetly provided that the correct processes and satisfaction of laws are satisfied. I believe that is how it is. Having worked for Boeing for a number of years I am never surprised!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Boeing, in their usual way of grabbing everything. Consolidated was acquired by Boeing via McDD. The registered trademarks survive indefinetly provided that the correct processes and satisfaction of laws are satisfied. I believe that is how it is. Having worked for Boeing for a number of years I am never surprised!

I think the question was about the apparent trademarking of the USAAF B-24 designation, which is separate to the aircraft name, and nothing to do with the manufacturer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Middo said:

Paul. I'm local to the former RAF Sudbury too - often go for a walk along the runways and peri track to get some fresh air - but be aware that despite the great box art Academy Zodiac kits do not give you the correct H version for the decals provided, with the Ford nose configuration the biggest difference. Personally I'd go for the new Airfix kit and acquire one of the Kits-World Zodiacs decal sets.

I accept the point you and others have made about the nose of the B-24 but it depends on what each person want from a model and the process of building it. I am not bothered by interior detail that cannot be seen when the kit has been built. More importantly, for me, if it looks like the plane depicted then I am happy. The odd mm in dimension does not worry me not do other issues such as the nose shape. I have said in another thread as long as the model looks OK at normal viewing distance then that is OK by me. Yes added to that a well fitting model that requires little or no filler etc is a bonus. 

The Airfix B-24 will meet the requirements of many, and hopefully make money for Hornby, but my desire to see a zodiac B-24 in my display can be met by the Academy model at just over £20 rat6her than the Airfix one which, with after market decals, would be over £50.

• Like 1

Great news on a new Liberator but, once again, I paid a lot of money for an old Airfix kit and Airfix then announce a new tooling.

spacer.png

Not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last but perhaps the next time I see an old tooling on eBay, I should wait a couple of years - just in case!

Dave

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, davecov said:

Great news on a new Liberator but, once again, I paid a lot of money for an old Airfix kit and Airfix then announce a new tooling.

I feel certain that your selfless sacrifice to the modelling gods will be duly noted and aprreciated by many Dave... 😁

👍

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Haha 5

Last night we had at our club a briefing by an Airfix researcher. He told us that trying to pin down a "common" B24 with windows appertures vents and such like is nigh on impossible as the specs for individual production runs could and did change at the drop of a hat. Best advice as always try to get a picture of the subject you are modelling, even then nothing is guaranteed if a field mod has been implemented. If it looks the part , it is the part. Happy modelling. Oh , and try stopping me getting a Bulldog or two! The Bulldog is modeled on very original BAe drawings kindly supplied by them.

Have fun guys.

Keith 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This kit looks really promising. Two years ago I built a specific H-version Jackpine Joe (SN 42-52466). At that time, the Hasegawa J version kit was the best kit on the market and hard to get. Hasegawa had both nose turrets (Emerson and Sperry) in their kit and a Czech modeller offered a Vacform part for the Ford nose. This was all a bit tricky to build and it's also true that the front part of the fuselage wasn't reproduced quite correctly. This looks much better in the Airfix test shots.

With this new Airfix H-version, all of this is no longer necessary.

But I'll wait until there's at least masking tape for this kit available, because masking the turrets is a time-consuming job.

Btw, this is my model of Jackpine Joe:

spacer.png

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

They need a circle-R on “B-24” now? Who is getting royalties, the USAF?

Boeing.  If there's a circle-R on a kit box, it's a good bet that Boeing are screwing every last dollar that they can out of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Boeing.  If there's a circle-R on a kit box, it's a good bet that Boeing are screwing every last dollar that they can out of it. 

Borging. “Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated”. Bill probably wouldn’t be very happy about it.

On a lighter note, I am quite happy about this release as I have always wanted to do this particular B-24H as a diorama, with the parachutes. It’s a B-24H-25-DT 42-51141 from the 466th BG. 784th BS. Although she doesn’t have a name, she is usually referred to as “Pegasus, the flying red horse”. She is also a mickey ship, with H2X radome. I have the Minicraft kit and conversion by Falcon, that will now become a ceiling dweller with the release by Airfix.

The photo was staged, to show how they deployed the “custom” drag chutes, due to no brakes. I have seen this method used before on B-17’s, but only with 1 chute from the tail gunners hatch. I haven’t ever seen decals for Pegasus, but should be relatively easy to print or mask. More photos on American Air Museum in Britain.

IMG_2762

Photo courtesy of American Air Museum in Britain (Jeffrey Ethell collection).

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 8