1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

thank you all, very kind :)

So, the painting stage is looming....

I needed to get some new etch primer as it only has a 12 month shelf life and frustratingly it is still not here yet..

I have worked out the colour (I think) - some of the original paint is still on S1595 in the Science Museum (it was repainted ages ago in the wrong blue, likely roundel blue) so I did some samples and arrived at what i think is a reasonable match given the limitations of eyeballs, digital sampling and light

I took all my similar blues and did a tester, photographed in natural and artificial light and ended up mixing a shade from what I had - this is the analysis..

OkIF0n.jpg

It is what it is, there are no colour pics so sue me if I am wrong...

..while waiting I busied myself and there is absolutely no construction remaining..

Pitot tube done - complex little thing..

eK7SUe.jpg

..cockpit canopy done, another complex little thing - i hate doing transparencies as they are just a huuuuuge opportunity to fu#k up..

ecck69.jpg

also all the beaching gear was made of plastic and wood, and the wire wheels finished..

oGz0dY.jpg

My5uAT.jpg

..again with no colour photos, I painted them what I thought / interpreted - basically battleship grey as it's likely marine paint..

..added the petrol cans and trolley..

0SrPUt.jpg

bRHODV.jpg

k0fBEi.jpg

8zhe0l.jpg

..and thats it - the next time I post, it will be all painted.. wish me luck :)

..in other news, I have decided on my next subject - something I have wanted to do for ages but thought it wouldn't fit in my display cabinet - I measured again and I think I can just squeeze it in - any ideas?  😎

TTFN
Peter

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I have decided on my next subject - something I have wanted to do for ages but thought it wouldn't fit in my display cabinet - I measured again and I think I can just squeeze it in - any ideas?  😎

Mosquito?

1 hour ago, airscale said:

bRHODV.jpg

What a load of pratts! :owww: More loverly work.  Don't know how you do it. :worthy:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, airscale said:

I have decided on my next subject - something I have wanted to do for ages but thought it wouldn't fit in my display cabinet - I measured again and I think I can just squeeze it in - any ideas?  😎

Yes, a Mosquito! Made out of wood!! :pray:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear @airscale Pete

What was the magic mix of blue paint that you landed on?
Regards Toby

Hey Toby - well my version is Humbrol 25 @75 - 80%, Revell 52 @ 15 - 20% and Gloss white @ 5 - 10% - was never good at quick maffs or paying attention - it was a full tin of 25 with amounts of 52 and white added :)

..and no, it's not a Mosquito - if I had a cabinet that big I would build one :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, airscale said:

..and no, it's not a Mosquito - if I had a cabinet that big I would build one

It's clearly a very large cabinet, even if it won't fit q Mosquito! 😱

aaaand the primer is on, but I am stripping it off again.....

..I got as far as a topcoat of silver, then the first attempt at masking and the paint just came off with it

I think there a couple of reasons for this - my test mule was fine (my 1/18 Fw190), the primer is properly on there and takes tape / fingernails and is pretty hardy, the only difference I can think of is I cleaned that with thinners the moment I painted a spot, wheras the S6B was cleaned with thinners the day before yesterday - I think the aluminium oxidises so quickly that it caused a problem with adhesion. The other thing is the S6B is polished with wire wool so it's like trying to paint a mirror, so I am starting with the floats and stripping all the paint off and giving it a key with very fine sandpaper, then a clean before paint and it should work..

... this is why I don't paint models...

Oh, and next one is not a Stuka - that is one of our products :) they made 864 of my subject if that helps :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 6

On 3/7/2024 at 3:46 PM, airscale said:

thank you all, you are so very kind :)

Hi Thom, I don't think this one will be an e-book, I did one for the Spitfire XIV and the Hawker Fury, but unlikely this one will :)

You are right, I do want to, along with a Boeing 307, a Lancastrian and an HP Hastings... :)

So, lots has gone on the last few weeks...

..the propeller was made as a 3D print which I found very hard to do as it's a complex shape which has oblong roots and quite a twist.. - the spinner cap is machined from solid aluminium so it can be polished like the original..

Rt9ahz.jpg

..I started the wings by filling the plastic frame with foam & filler - this was then refined many times and note they are complete with the ailerons in place so they can be cut out later...

mJnMWj.jpg

..after a lot of finishing, the ailerons were removed...

5IIj4P.jpg

..and so to the skinning... I drew out the plans that copied the layout of all the fastners that cover the entire surface.. by the time I finished I selected all objects in the drawing and for the four wing surfaces there were 8,962 rivets... that is bordering on the ridiculous and likely as many as I have done on entire airframes before..

,,nothing to do but get started, so here is a typical panel - the small dots are one rivet depression, the big dots two, which was even more demoralising..

..also seen is a template to score out a hatch with a pin in a pin vise..

8BSFAD.jpg

..after 3 days and a very sore set of muscles they were done...

GJjpU9.jpg

AzW5IP.jpg

..no time to rest though, and the ailerons were completed..

hKOlct.jpg

..the wings were added using JB weld and given a day to set, then I could start the fillets - I have not done the front ones as they need to also cover the forward strut mount..

IA9YLT.jpg

5PqHv7.jpg

..with the wings on, I could add the belly oil cooler assembly - as with the fuselage sides this was a 3D printed buck over which the metal sheet was fomed..

AwSQhR.jpg

..in two parts, it stretches all along the lower fuselage..

6WbBr7.jpg

..with so much skinning going on, I fancied a change and so started on the beaching trolley - well at least the wire wheels of the trolley..

I 3D printed a hub, a rim and a jig..

tUliu0.jpg

..and then bent a lot of piano wire spokes and started to populate them

cnbJJC.jpg

..and the finished wheels, along with some Pratts petrol cans I have seen in pictures with the airframe..

WLUF5f.jpg

qGaB7L.jpg

..and so before the painting starts next week, some final shots in all her nakedness...

Jm5aMI.jpg

wdGNnU.jpg

Hw85cN.jpg

4tWUNY.jpg

QOG911.jpg

Gsjteu.jpg

ASJHDH.jpg

..time to start thinking about the finish...

until next time

TTFN

Peter

Edited by Britman
Sorry about the oversized quote! I just wanted to say,one , absolutely magnificent as always and very educational to boot. Having said that on your own admission I now what to call a rivet counter... Peter!🧥
  • Like 1

Hmm a check of wickedpedia indicates that 864 Hawker Sea Furies were produced… 

Now that would make a lot of people very happy if true.  If I am right is there a 🏆 ?

Edited by BlanketStacker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

..teaser...

x31VEY.jpg

UbSI9V.jpg

..the primer was fine when applied over clean fine sanded surfaces and this model has had a LOT of masking so it needed to be

getting some stainless steel flying wires etched and a mask for the serial - once thats done it's glamour shot time

Now where did I put those Sea Fury drawings...

Peter

• Like 19

Only found this thread this week. Top work. Great subject. looking forward to seeing the finished model (and onto the next one)

• Like 1

Gorgeous! That looks a tad lighter than the Vallejo Ultramarine I used on my AMP 1/48 S.6B recently, almost wishing I'd been bold and added some white to it... if only for scale effect!

No, I'll not be repainting it!

Peter, I cannot wait to see the completed model.

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1

Ok . Can we see the model now please?

Brilliant......

Totally speechless.

Dick

• Haha 1

I'm speechless. No really! Your build is a masterpiece. A thing of beauty and what a great subject to showcase your skills on. This and your Mk XIV Spit are my two favourites, and considering the lineage, a photo of them side by side would be awesome. 

I think I hear Mr Mitchell applauding from above.

Cheers!

Steve