1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

I'm glad I stumbled upon this build Peter! It's fascinating watching it come together but I am becoming a little jealous of your amazing skills.

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks :)

On 1/1/2024 at 12:14 PM, Courageous said:

Cockpit has been beautifully done Peter. As a matter of interest, do you know when the interior green was introduced?

Happy New Year

Stuart

I have no idea Stuart, but the airframe in the Science Museum is unrestored so I assumed it was original?

I kept thinking I will stop in a minute and take a picture of what I am doing, but then I would think, I will just finish this bit... well before I knew it the engine cowling was done.. it is a complicated structure, but shouts early aviation..

ArlGwE.jpg

zeJuAz.jpg

7iyLzr.jpg

vOGTZg.jpg

HhgznQ.jpg

C1Betj.jpg

bl3qaU.jpg

Sgj9jC.jpg

Rgm5sW.jpg

KE9mA9.jpg

can start the fuselage proper now..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 41

Totally agree with Max. How did I miss this one .

A master class in action.

Brill

Dick

• Like 1

Looking good.

Re the 12 semi circular louvres on the rear of the cylinder fairings, is there a flange on their edge to attach them to the underside of the main fairing?

Or are they just attached edge to edge?

Or something else?

Malc.

• Like 1

Fabulous work Peter!

Interested to see that you have the supercharger cover in place - the front, downward-angled piece of the central section between the engine covers, which is on S6A N248 in the Solent Sky museum; I presume your references are better than mine. Any thoughts on what colour you'll be using for the "Supermarine Blue"? S1595 is in a darker blue than it was original was, bits of which can be seen on the floats. Ralph Pegram (author of the Haynes manual) stated in 2009 on a KeyAero thread that N248 was in the correct period shade for the 1931 race.

Keep up the excellent work, looking forward to seeing progress and the completed model here, and at SMW 2024 in due course.

All the best

• Like 2

Sorry, this one seems to have slipped my mind a year so ago. So lots of likes from me. Epic Cockpit!

Also, The film, First of the Many was on a couple of weeks ago. Mitchell, David Niven, Spitfires etc.

The film features the Schneider Trophy Aircraft at the start, Which kick started a memory chip deep in my mind.

Around 1977 I was working in the Servicing Hangar at RAF Odiham. Chatting with one of the engine guys, he told me his GrandFather flew these beasts.

Couldn't check back then, though I had no reason to doubt him. Can now. The Surname was Waghorn. And yes, he was one of the Pilots.

• Like 3

Happy Friday my friends :)

On 1/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, Malc2 said:

Looking good.

Re the 12 semi circular louvres on the rear of the cylinder fairings, is there a flange on their edge to attach them to the underside of the main fairing?

Or are they just attached edge to edge?

Or something else?

Malc.

Hi Malc - they are just attatched on the edge - I have lost one already but there has been some heavy handling lately :)

On 1/18/2024 at 6:33 PM, NG899 said:

Fabulous work Peter!

Interested to see that you have the supercharger cover in place - the front, downward-angled piece of the central section between the engine covers, which is on S6A N248 in the Solent Sky museum; I presume your references are better than mine. Any thoughts on what colour you'll be using for the "Supermarine Blue"? S1595 is in a darker blue than it was original was, bits of which can be seen on the floats. Ralph Pegram (author of the Haynes manual) stated in 2009 on a KeyAero thread that N248 was in the correct period shade for the 1931 race.

Keep up the excellent work, looking forward to seeing progress and the completed model here, and at SMW 2024 in due course.

All the best

Thanks for dropping in - I did copy N248 as S1595 in the Science Museum has nothing there - just a big hole which can't be right, so I took a gamble and copied the other airframe.. I am a long way from colours, but will look for period paintings / adverts etc and go with whatever I can see at the time :)

The fuselage is skinned like a Spitfire, from back to front with some overlaps - the fist step was analysing pictures to work out the skinning order - I started at the rear with a tape template, using dymo tape to define borders where needed. I always mark out rivet lines on the tape template so they are right on the model as what can look a straight line rarely is...

XESnJT.jpg

these are those panels after rivetting and making the holes for the circular hatches..the next step is to peel the tape off, wash them with a stiff brush and solvent to get all the tape discs left by the rivetting off, and then finally turn them over and burnish hard with a rod to remove the 'quilting' effect...

u5JNP7.jpg

..with that panel down and the others that form the bottom layer, I need to fill the upper edges as with another panel to go on top if I don't a visible ridge will appear when I lay it down...

S2UB7Y.jpg

gLzd8v.jpg

..then the next panel that wraps across the spine - you can see some rivets done with the panel in place have deformed as the foam/filler skin has given out under pressure.. nothing can be done about that..

..the edges are also filled again..

mjcfJe.jpg

..with that done, the skins on the tail are marked out....this is an intersting design feature as the tail is actually the oil cooler so the surface air cools it rather than a cooler sticking into the airflow and causing drag..

bxSVmk.jpg

..it has a very distinct 'quilted' appearance which is exactly what you get if you don't burnish a rivetted panel, so this will be fun to make..

ODfJCA.jpg

..same principle applies - tape templates & dymo tape..just this time i only lightly burnish the panels before adding them..

cgkggT.jpg

..with the fuselage skinned another distinctive feature needs doing - there are radiators running the full length of the fuselage each side (again to reduce drag by hanging them off the wing or under the chin)..

..like this..

ozz6O8.jpg

..I pondered how to do it and eventually tried 3D printing a male mould I could work from - I figured I could burnish the shape in one piece if I was careful..

..it had to be in two parts to be printed though..

rSVJ8U.jpg

..these were then superglued to a bit of perspex.. and the work started..

1f3wKK.jpg

mifh5G.jpg

..millions more damned rivets...

VHMdQf.jpg

..and then scored & carefully broken away..

gk5mKI.jpg

..I was worried that I would need to fill the 'tubes' but it seemed rigid enough so I bit the bullet, took a deep breath and got ready to stick it in place..

l1DrvA.jpg

..quite a bit of work that, so here is a walkaround..

zsW5b7.jpg

iXSJES.jpg

58wiAD.jpg

ly3uSM.jpg

Ede8ck.jpg

41k2ng.jpg

..gonna be a shame to paint it

TTFN

Peter

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Boy is this good. :gobsmacked:

I think breaking the glass ceiling springs to mind. It's so ************ good.

Dick

• Like 1