Airfix 2024 (Again)

wellsprop

11 hours ago, Denford said:

I think it very unlikely that that Manufacturers would 'share data files'. 

Exactly! Model manufacturers are traditionally described as the Toy Trade (or were when I was involved). Secrecy is paramount. My work contract did not allow photography inside the factory. Does anyone wonder why Airfix play their cards so close to their chest? So as not to give the opposition any inkling of what they're working on. They (and that means every manufacturer) want their product to be the dominant one in the market. Sharing information would dilute that. It ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Ratch
  • Like 1

OK,OK. It was merely speculation or wishful thinking by me. I now accept that such cooperation between manufacturers is impossible.

24 hours later:-

No, now that I think about it, I reckon that any business, including kit manufacturers , would do whatever is expedient to making a profit.

So if that means cooperation, then why not.

Edited by percival p.
I changed my mind.

5 hours ago, Jay Gee said:

a) New Tool - 1/72 B-24 

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit - 1/72 Sea Fury 

c) Vintage Classic - Do 17

d) Surprise release mid year - 1/72 Avro Lincoln

I doubt if Airfix have the resources to tool two large subjects the same year.

At Telford they seemed to have been quite pleased with their 'surprise' releases, so expect something (big ?) at Telford this year....

Their current choices seemed very much 'linked' to UK, where I'm told half their sales are.  So choices would have to have RAF/FAA roundels, even if not of UK origin eg an Avenger for which there has been no recent mainstream tooling....

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:29 AM, 3DStewart said:

I like the way people think an up or down scale isn't a new tool.  Even the 3D files will need extensive re-work as wall thicknesses, clearances and part count doesn't scale.

If you're thinking of producing, say, a 1:72 Gloster Javelin from an existing 1:48 product, the commercial question you ask is what medium sized 1:72 aircraft do you think will sell best?

I think maybe we should have said 'a smaller or larger version of an existing new-tool already kitted' instead, or as was mentioned:

22 hours ago, percival p. said:

Another new tool from the earlier data

I know what you mean though,

Ray

a) New Tool : 1/48 Harrier GR 5/7/9

b) Up/Down Scale: 1/72 Vampire FB3/5

c) Vintage Classic: HMS Leander

d) Surprise Release: 1/72 P-47

And how about e) Reissue with new decals/parts 1/48 Hunter T7/8/12

... and some different models in Lidl/Aldi next xmas please!

On 16/12/2023 at 10:29, 3DStewart said:

I like the way people think an up or down scale isn't a new tool.  Even the 3D files will need extensive re-work as wall thicknesses, clearances and part count doesn't scale.

Yes, I've never quite understood the term "scaling up/down". You can get away with scaling individual parts for 3D printing, but a complete kit cannot be scaled up or down effectively.

Might aswell say that Airfix scaled up the 1/72 Hawker Typhoon to 1/24 scale... 

The raw LIDAR scans may be used to create 1/1 scale surfaces, which can then be scaled, but detail cannot be scaled and the parts breakdown is different. 

On 17/12/2023 at 19:32, Denford said:

You won't get a (Sea) Hornet as this no reliable data (drawings, extant example) from which to work.

There is a Sea Hornet currently being rebuilt and DBMK are also making a 1/32 Sea Hornet both presumably using original drawings (EDIT: another thread is discussing the likelihood of original drawings existing, supposedly the were all destroyed - well I've learnt something new!). Never say never (though I think it's unlikely). 

On 18/12/2023 at 15:48, Denford said:

I doubt if Airfix have the resources to tool two large subjects the same year.

I thought that, until they released a 1/24 Spitfire along with a 1/48 Anson and Buccaneer in one year, followed the next year by a 1/48 Gannet and Sea King.

Airfix are doing a superb job of releasing a couple big hitters each year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plastic Bonsai said:

a) New Tool : 1/48 Harrier GR 5/7/9

Ooooh... 

I wonder if Airfix would release a 1/48 Sea Harrier? I previously discounted the idea as Kinetic make one, but they aren't mainstream and the kit isn't up to modern standards (though it makes a nice finished model).

6 hours ago, Denford said:

So choices would have to have RAF/FAA roundels

I'd be happy with anything from Airfix that I can put a RAAF/RAN roundel on.

Maybe a 1/72 A-4E/F will be released soon? 

Airfix have been very quiet about when the new releases will be announced and we've yet to even have a hint!

Presumably the new releases will be announced in the first or second week of January (perhaps with a surprise announcement later on in the year)? 

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Airfix have been very quiet about when the new releases will be announced and we've yet to even have a hint!

Presumably the new releases will be announced in the first or second week of January (perhaps with a surprise announcement later on in the year)? 

I expect they will let us know in this week’s workbench blog as it will probably be the last of the year 

• Like 1

Or maybe they were so chuffed about their mid-year surprise releases, they'll just slowly let us know as their new 2024 kits become available. 

I'm hoping we will hear some announcements this January, it wouldn't be the same otherwise. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I sub to Airfix Model World  and the magazine is delayed to 11th Jan for the next issue, when it would normally be due around the 7th. I would assume that the announcement would be just before that on sale date to allow for the publishers to get the information in the magazine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wellsprop said:

They told me at Telford that new releases would be announced 'the first week of January'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

my wallet says ouch 

Think yourself lucky...... I can see the Hornby Centre from the end of my road.  Have you ever seen a wallet on life support?? :gobsmacked: :tinfoil:

• Haha 4

I'll add another thing to my airfix 2024 wishlist... not a new tool, but new parts for an existing kit:

Do17Z-7 and Z-10 for the existing Do17Z-2 kit. Both variants could easily be covered in one kit with a decal scheme for each.

Edited by Adam Poultney

On 17/12/2023 at 19:55, Wez said:

For instance, I have 4 of the 1/72nd Meteor F.8, but only 1 of the 1/48th kits. If they based their analysis on the sales of the earlier 1/48th kit we might not have the 1/72nd kit.

Not having a pop but I’m not so sure about that statement, as I have 3 F.8’s and 1 FR.9 in 1:48 and none in 1:72!

I have no proof but my gut says that total sales between the two scales, is probably closer than we think and tooling up a new kit in either scale, will be based upon potential sales!

I can see the potential for a new tool Javelin series, but not so much with the Sea Vixen both of which I have in 1:48 but 1:72 wouldn’t of interest to me though I appreciate that others will have a different view, for a multitude of reasons!

No matter what Airfix release, the subject matter will suit some but not others but that’s what makes our hobby interesting!

Edited by Tony C
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony C said:

Not having a pop but I’m not so sure about that statement, as I have 3 F.8’s and 1 FR.9 in 1:48 and none in 1:72!

I'm quite sure you weren't having a pop, that's your truth as you see it - thank goodness we're all different!

I guess it boils down to whether you model to a fixed scale or whether it's purely the subject that interests you, for me it's the latter, in the case of the Meteor, I like the subject, so I bought the 1/48th kit but, as I'd like to do a series of them, I bought several 1/72nd scale kits, it will make it easier for me to make the series.  I'll stick with just the one in 1/48th.  Airfix have done far better out of me with the 1/72nd kit than the 1/48th.

• Like 1

Have to say, I have a similar philosophy to @Wez. It’s the subject that does it for me, so I’ll buy a sole kit in the larger scale if I’m interested enough, then add mutiple 1/72 examples if I want to depict different versions and / or schemes of the same subject. 

I bought a 1/48 Javelin because I really like the subject, but make available a good 1/72 kit and I think I’d consider at least another three to four more. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wez said:

I'm quite sure you weren't having a pop, that's your truth as you see it - thank goodness we're all different!

I wont argue that point, the planet would be in a very bad position if there were 8 billion people like me!

That even scares me 😁

I choose 1:48 as I suffer from AMS and like to add every single accessory to a particular kit and find it easier to do so, in the larger scales but that's me and as you say, we're all different and as I mentioned, I appreciate that not everyone wants to build a series of kits, in the larger scales!

• Haha 1

How about an avro Lincoln, avro Manchester, avro York,  hs748/ Andover, blackburn botha, vickers Warwick, blackburn dart or ripon, fairey flycatcher,  westland wasp, all in 1/72?  Realistically only the 'draggie' , Lincoln and manchester stand any chance of being released by airfix. Valom seems to be the saviour with their 'obscure' raf releases. 

And a 1/35 matilda 1 for something left field - that gecko or bronco will probably end up kitting. Or a 1/35 Abbott or members of the Spartan family? The nichimo abbot is hard to find at a decent price. 

And then the obvious, a 1/350 queen Elizabeth or P.O.W. ( modern carriers, not the ww2 battleships).

Just my two bobs worth. I expect to be disappointed once again!