Airfix 2024 (Again)

wellsprop

On 12/9/2023 at 11:15 AM, trickydicky210 said:

Wonder if 2024 will be the year we get a new ship kit of the QEC Aircraft Carrier? It’s been on the cards for a while at least 2 years, so would have thought if it’s going to turned into plastic, it will be this year. 

personally hoping we see some more FAA Airframes, but happy that Airfix are just turning out decent kits. 

Well, Trumpeter/HobbyBoss has announced a QEC aircraft carrier kit in 1/700. No doubt they will eventually do it in 1/350th as well. Unless Airfix is well along with theirs, I wouldn’t expect them to want to go head-to-head with another manufacturer on the same subject. Then again, maybe the TrumpyBoss one isn’t close to release and they are just trying to ward off competition with their announcement.

I’d second a return to 1/600, although what I really would like to see is a Post War British Aircraft Carrier that could be slightly modified to represent some of the export nations with representative aircraft types. These could be 3D files designed to print off yourself (or from your favourite 3D print buddy). Potential Export boxings could be for - French, Argentine, Australian, Canadian, Dutch, Indian & Brazilian, not to mention the various British carriers. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

I was told that the dimensions in 1/350 made the tooling cost prohibitive - 1/600 would be better

Oh, I assume that Airfix would do it in 1/700. 1/600 is really an orphan scale at this point.

28 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’d second a return to 1/600, although what I really would like to see is a Post War British Aircraft Carrier that could be slightly modified to represent some of the export nations with representative aircraft types. These could be 3D files designed to print off yourself (or from your favourite 3D print buddy). Potential Export boxings could be for - French, Argentine, Australian, Canadian, Dutch, Indian & Brazilian, not to mention the various British carriers. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Like these?

https://ihphobby.tripod.com/700shipkitslist.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

yeah… but in lovely 1/350 scale. I’ll have to look deeper into this type of technology as I’ve just bought the Heller Arromanches kit, but that’s in 1/400 scale. I’m wondering if anyone caters to that market? 

Cheers.. Dave 

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Oh, I assume that Airfix would do it in 1/700. 1/600 is really an orphan scale at this point.

1/600 is the traditional scale for ships. 1/700 is the odd scale.

27 minutes ago, Ratch said:

1/600 is the traditional scale for ships. 1/700 is the odd scale.

Depends on which country you live and build models in.  1:600 is the British view but 1:700 has always had a much larger world wide following, mainly due to the massive output of Japanese and Chinese producers, such as Tamiya, Hasegawa, Dragon, Trumpeter, Aoshima, Fujimi and Arii etc.  Then there are the American producers, such as White Ensign etc.

Mike

• Like 2

The traditional scale for ship modelling is 1/1200, with 1/600 being an offshoot of that, both being Imperial scales.  Before even Airfix there was Eagle.  However 1/700 is not an "always" scale, only appearing in 1970(ish) when four Japanese Manufacturers got together to produce the entire IJN of WW2, at least the major vessels.  As these kits were generally at least as well detailed as the 1/600, they made the latter look crude and took up less shelf space.  They seem to have chosen 1/700 simply to avoid competition.  There was an attempt to compete in the West with 1/720  (Revell, Italeri and Matchbox) but these were inferior in quality.  Once the Japanese manufacturers moved away from only Japanese subjects, that was it...

1/400 and 1/500 were understandably more popular on the Continent as metric scales, and Frog did produce a few ships in this scale.  But they didn't catch on other than in  France, thanks to Heller and its production of domestic subjects.  Similarly, 1/600 has retained popularity in the UK because of Airfix's production of RN ships, generally lacking elsewhere.  Not so much now, thankfully

White Ensign, as the name and subject matter suggest, was a British company.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The traditional scale for ship modelling is 1/1200,

I would agree with that, I once had a collection of over 1,000 model ships built to that scale.  I started by collecting all the Eagle kits and then moved on Airfix 1:1200 and then to resin cast models.  I still scratchbuild my own models to this scale. My comments were on the presumption they were discussing the larger scales.

cheers,
Mike

Perhaps Airfix will finally encompass 1/32 for an Aircraft scale and beat Tamiya and the rest of them at their own game?   Now there's a wish, heh, do prefer 1/48 Mostly for Aircraft (esp WW2 Warbirds), but do stretch to 1/32 sometimes and 1/24 can be a bridge too far for many of us with space storage considerations and remain in stash or get sold ... certainly true of me 👍

PS: not saying Airfix should drop 1/24 scale Aircraft kits completely. Its par to the factories well known trademarks, but most large scale modellers do appreciate the middle ground of 1/24 and 1/48 and Airfix would do well to tap into this market with their own re-born expertise, especially in British Aircraft subjects IMHO.

Just sayin :)

Edited by One 48
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, One 48 said:

Perhaps Airfix will finally encompass 1/32 for an Aircraft scale and beat Tamiya and the rest of them at their own game?   Now there's a wish,

A wish indeed. Airfix are barely ahead of Italeri in quality, so Tamiya may be a bit of an impossible dream.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2023 at 11:44 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Another one I've long thought they should do is a new sprue to build Belfast as she was post war / is now. Again, would be a 'way in' for potental new modellers

Edited by JagRigger

My hopes for Airfix 2024 are a Spitfire Mk. VII, Solid Nose Mosquito, 1/72 Anson, new tool 1/72 C-130, Vampire F. or FB. variant, 1/72 Hunter, more vintage classic airliners and another bomber (Hampden, Halifax or Stirling) and my wild cards are a Jindivik, 1/24 Moquito re-release, Lancaster Grand Slam and anything from WWI, even if it is a re-release.

I find the Me-410 a bit of an oddity and if I was over at Hornby Hobbies, I would not have chosen it due to their difficult financial situation (I would have gone ahead with a Jindivik, since it would be a smaller and cheaper kit to produce of a subject rarely seen modelled). I am sure there would be a market for it too considering how long it was in RAF service (1950 or 60 something to the mid 2000s, the information I have is a little bit fuzzy). Maybe I am a little bit partial to orange and yellow unmanned target tugs.

Edited by Modelling Masochist

37 minutes ago, Modelling Masochist said:

I find the Me-410 a bit of an oddity

I suspect this was a bit of an experiment for Airfix in producing something that could compete with the best some Japanese and Eastern Europe countries can do. It certainly looks like a step up in kit quality. And of course they had access to the real thing at Cosford. Risky? I think anything Luftwaffe is still a fairly safe bet and the 410 doesn't have a lot of competition.

As to my wish list, I'd go for a 1/72nd Anson and of course a 1/72nd Walrus (which has been no.1 on my list since the 1/48th release!). Of course that won't happen til I come across and buy the Matchbox kit :)

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ckw said:

I suspect this was a bit of an experiment for Airfix in producing something that could compete with the best some Japanese and Eastern Europe countries can do. It certainly looks like a step up in kit quality. And of course they had access to the real thing at Cosford. Risky? I think anything Luftwaffe is still a fairly safe bet and the 410 doesn't have a lot of competition.

As to my wish list, I'd go for a 1/72nd Anson and of course a 1/72nd Walrus (which has been no.1 on my list since the 1/48th release!). Of course that won't happen til I come across and buy the Matchbox kit :)

Cheers

Colin

I guess you are right. I just thought that out of all the Luftwaffe aircraft they could have chosen, they chose the one known for disintegrating in midair. Compared to a Ju-88 or He-219, I thought it would have been risky. But then again, Luftwaffe stuff sells, even if it never served in the Luftwaffe.

On 09/12/2023 at 16:15, trickydicky210 said:

personally hoping we see some more FAA Airframes, but happy that Airfix are just turning out decent kits. 

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Airfix release a 1/48 Sea Venom.

It fits their current product line. Classic 1950's British Jet, Sea Venom and Venom NF used by the FAA and RN respectively, some interesting markings and export versions (for the RN: Suez, Shark Mouth. Export: Aeronavale and Australian).

No-one makes a kit (the CA kit is impossible to get hold of, I think the last one that showed up in the Britmodeller RFI was made by me in 2021!).

• Like 1

As it’s nearly the time that we find out, thought I would suggest the following:

Name 1 each of the following for Airfix to supply us in 2024:

a) New Tool

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit

c) Vintage Classic 

d) Surprise release mid year 

my response (guess)

a) 1/48 Westland Lysander 

b) 1/48 Jet Provost

c) Short Skyvan 

d) 1/72 B24 Liberator 

please have a go, just for fun 🥳

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

As it’s nearly the time that we find out, thought I would suggest the following:

Name 1 each of the following for Airfix to supply us in 2024:

a) New Tool

b) Up or down scale of an existing kit

c) Vintage Classic 

d) Surprise release mid year 

my response (guess)

a) 1/48 Westland Lysander 

b) 1/48 Jet Provost

c) Short Skyvan 

d) 1/72 B24 Liberator 

please have a go, just for fun 🥳

Go on then, I will play!

a) New tool 1/72 DHC Twin Otter

b) Downsize the Gloster Javelin to 1/72

c) Vintage Classic SS Canberra 1/600

d) Surprise mid-year 1/72 Fairey Battle

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray S said:

b) Downsize the Gloster Javelin to 1/72

In the realistic suggestions, this is pretty much top of my wishlist only behind doing the same to the Sea Vixen.

6 minutes ago, Ray S said:

c) English Electric V̶i̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶C̶l̶a̶s̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶S̶S̶ Canberra 1/6̶0̶0̶ 72

:)

• Haha 2