1/48th IDF F-4E Kurnass - Squadron 69 “The Hammers” 1998

I had always wanted to build a bigger IDF F-4E Phantom ever since I built the old Airfix 1/72nd model oh sooooooo many years ago. 

I have the Hasegawa 1/48th IDF RF-4E in the stash and was planning to add their normal F-4E until Zoukei-Mura released their wonderful F-4E (have 4 in the stash), from then it was only a matter of time…….

……….around the same time I found photos of IDF Phantom with the huge AGM-142 “Popeye’s” fitted, now I just had to wait for ZM (or Tamiya, I wish) to release the “Slat Wing” Phantom. 

Then my prayers were answered, Hypersonic Models released the Slat Conversion kit for the ZM Phantom. So everything was a go.

IMG_6005-M.jpg

The build was pretty much straightforward, the 69 Sqn aircraft never had the Kurnass 2000 upgrade so were pretty much still as they arrived.

The Hypersonic conversion kit was a treat to use, the ZM model has all the other right bits included to do a late model F-4E. The only custom work was to the inboard pylons, which on the real aircraft were lengthened to allow the fitment of the Popeye and IMI Delilah AGM’s and unique to the IDF Phantoms. 

This was just a chop and lengthen job, the only other mod was to make the extended pylon for the AIM-9D Sidewinder. Which was fitted to the Fwd. LH Sparrow bay, Aim-7’s were not carried by these particular aircraft.

IMG_6824-S.jpg

The decals were a mix-n-match of Isradecal and others I had, the stencils caused the most issues as they went form the huge number of factory ones in English to sparse ones in Hebrew on later aircraft. I went for something in-between, it may not be 100% correct, but looks the part.

The results, she looks great and such a beast with those huge missiles! A really enjoyable build, I have a 2ndone already in the waiting line, a ZM F-4E with the Isracast RF-4E(S) conversion kit, this is the IDF Recon Phantom with the huge camera in the nose!!

Thank you for looking, please enjoy, a link is provided to the build.

Model: Zoukei-Mura 1/48th F-4E Early Version

Scheme: IDF F-4E Kurnass Squadron 69 “The Hammers”

Paint:  AK Interactive Real Color (main), and Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer 

Extras: 

Aires - Late Series Exhaust Nozzle set

Hypersonic – F-4E Late Slat Conversion Set

Isradecal – Sqn 69 The Hammer decal set

Reskit – AGM-142 “Popeye”

WingMan – F-4E In-flight Refueling Probe

IMG_6954-XL.jpg

IMG_6961-XL.jpg

IMG_6956-XL.jpg

IMG_6959-XL.jpg

IMG_6964-XL.jpg

IMG_6965-XL.jpg

IMG_6966-XL.jpg

IMG_6969-XL.jpg

IMG_6972-XL.jpg

IMG_6973-XL.jpg

IMG_6978-XL.jpg

IMG_6984-XL.jpg

• Like 69
  • Thanks 1

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th IDF F-4E Kurnass - Squadron 69 “The Hammers” 1998
3 hours ago, billn53 said:

Excellent work on the conversion, your final result looks great.  I wasn’t aware of the Hypersonic slat kit, I’m going to have to check it out.

the quality of their casting is second to none, no soft nasty resin here, and the detail is so fine and matches the detail on the ZM kit perfectly.

Very nice!!

Great loadout and looks like a dangerous and realistic package!

I only wonder about D model  Sidewinders I the late 1990s...really?? Was it smaller/ shorter etc??

• Thanks 1

Magnificent build, I'm deep in the Double Ugly Kurnass books at the moment and that's something I'd like to emulate :)

Thank you for sharing some tips with us too!

Arnaud

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!!

Great loadout and looks like a dangerous and realistic package!

I only wonder about D model  Sidewinders I the late 1990s...really?? Was it smaller/ shorter etc??

Yeah they kept the AIM-9D's till quite late, probably mid to late 90's they moved to the newer AIM-9L's. Most of the photos I have of Phantoms, if fitted with Sidewinders they are the D's, even the Kurnass 2000's. It was pretty much the same with the RF-4E's and RF-4E(S) are often photographed with a single AIM-9 fitted now on the RH Fwd Sparrow mount and an a AN-ALQ-101 fitted opposite, though I have found one photo of a Popeye bird is this config too, I suspect it was only for evaluation purposes as I have found no other photos of this config.

36 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

Magnificent build, I'm deep in the Double Ugly Kurnass books at the moment and that's something I'd like to emulate :)

Thank you for sharing some tips with us too!

Arnaud

I have the same books, they are a must for building an IDF Phantom, plus I have the IsraDecal book on the Hammers Squadron as well, which was a big help too.

• Like 3

Superb job! Did the F4Es ever use the Popeyes in anger? I had never heard of them until a B52G at Fairford during the first Gulf War was spotted carrying what were supposedly popeyes on its  wing pylons.....which were in fact AGM-142s i believe.......

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaveH said:

Very nice, not seen that Sidewinder fit before...

DaveH

thanks,

the Sidewinder mount seems to be something unique to the IDF Phantoms, it gave them some sort of self defense weapon as by this stage they no longer used AIM-7 Sparrows on the Phantoms. 

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing build. Im looking to be doing a IAF F-4E early and was thinking of getting the IsraDecals decal set for the F-4E early ''Kurnass". Are you aware if the decals come with stencil data or not, if not where did you get the stencils in Hebrew as I cant find much information on the IsraDecal website.

Regards

• Thanks 1