1/48 Revell Stearman

Well, not 100% finished as I have a few fiddly details and touch ups still to get to (e.g. the tail wheel broke off), but for all intents and purposes it's complete.

I've gotta say, this is one of the best value-for-dollar kits I've ever made. The detail is excellent and the fit and engineering is outstanding, all for less than $20. My only criticism would be the decals which, while beautifully printed, were quite thick and didn't respond to setting solutions. Given that the only decals I used were the wing walks, this wasn't a big issue.

I did add a few scratch built details, including the plumbing from the upper wing fuel tank, the glass fuel gauge tube, engine wiring, and the doodads aft of the engine on the port side. Rigging is ceramic "Wonder Wire", which doesn't add any strength to the structure, but that's OK since the fit and engineering of the kit is plenty strong enough on its own.

The orange-yellow is Gunze H24 with some Tamiya yellow mixed in, while the grey is a mix of Tamiya Neutral Grey and white. All of the markings including the insignia and tail stripes were masked and painted using stencils cut with my Silhouette Portrait cutter.

As always, any questions or constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated

IMG_2008_zpsynyutgqk.jpg

IMG_2031_zpsh0kt1nkb.jpg

IMG_2026_zpso8nvgbth.jpg

IMG_2010_zps9pxcs0g6.jpg

IMG_1999_zpshlvihgwv.jpg

IMG_2017_zpsrfea3tnq.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 37

Lovely, and a great scheme to boot. I like your little details; they really add to the overall effect. Especially the doodads!

regards,

Jason

That's really splendid - a lovely thing to look and so very well put together and finished. Mine's got a little way to go before it reaches the top of the stash but I'll be very pleased if I can achieve a result like yours.

Cheers,

Roger

Superb work tbell, VERY impressive! :yikes:

When I get asked about weathering, I always tell people "Used, not abused." You've hit the nail on the head with this build.

I have plans to do an all yellow RCAF example. Hope mine comes out as well as yours.

Keep it up!

ANS

UUUUHHH!!! I Love it!!!! Absolute top built! Love the very clean paintjob . And the subtle weathering!!!! A Real winner. I must have this one!!!!!!!!

Best regards

Andy

I like it. What did you think of the kit in general? I built one for a SAMI review and finished it eventually in WW2 RCAF markings. iI would certainly do another if I ever get around to it.

Thanks all for the kind words! This is definitely one of the more enjoyable builds I've done recently.

I like it. What did you think of the kit in general? I built one for a SAMI review and finished it eventually in WW2 RCAF markings. iI would certainly do another if I ever get around to it.

Hi Paul,

I was very impressed with the kit. Great detail, excellent fit and engineering and dirt cheap to boot. I would have preferred standard grey styrene, but I can understand why Revell chose white if it's to be painted yellow overall.

Cheers,

Tony