Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

I find the rousing application of foul language can also work wonders on the decals. I'm pretty sure I once settled some Almark ones made before my birth -- indeed, probably made before the birth of Christ -- by tenderly whispering imprecations to them so vile that they melted.

Utterly died of laughter after reading that... Stunning use of the English language Edward!

I have just got some almark transfers off eBay.... They look very old.... I am going to start looking for good profanities to use when getting them to settle... PM me if you have any thoughts :)

Rob

• Like 3

I think you'll be safe with the MicroS** set, Ced. I used it extensively on my recently decalled Airfix Seafire and the roundels in particular wrinkled horrifyingly but everything settled just fine. Still, if Decalfix works without risking a coronary event, why use something else?

• Like 1

Gut Ding will Weile haben, wie man hier so sagt. So wait till it's really dry. Better more days then less. I heard these things with Set and Sol more than once and the finished ones were permanently well done without problems. The green looks also much better here. With a flat coat the difference between the green and earth will come much more obvious, but still stays clean as it should be for that mission. Well done. Please not too much exhaust stains for this one, if they were new ones from the factory. I don't know. Cheers.

• Like 1

Looking fantastic! I have only had to deal with transfers once since 1975, about eight years ago on a 1/72 Airfix DH Tiger Moth (and didn't I have fun with Humbrol Trainer Yellow Matt: once I overcoated the 'orrible matt "yellow" with Humbrol Yellow Gloss, however, the colour problem went away). As I remember it, the transfers went on surprisingly easily: I had, and have, bad memories of transfers-past. Lots more joyful experiences of the older variety, no doubt, if I can ever get that -ing (as Mr Tulip* would no doubt say) shed finished.

Can't wait to see what she looks like next :D.

Cheese and greens,

Alex.

* Vide "The Truth", by Terry Pratchett.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Re: the silvering. Get a pin and stick it into the decal all over the silver part, then wash it with the decal liquid. You make small holes in the decal this way so that the liquid can get underneath the silvering. This generally solves a lot of the problem. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! :)

The silvering got better but didn't go entirely so I've touched up with a bit of paint on the more obvious areas. Couldn't do much about the serials, sadly, but they're not too bad (ahem).

bbudde asked for a shot outside - it's not very sunny today but, as you asked:

C2A8AE06-4206-4536-8C15-6B2F0CB0FF52_zps

Good job I mowed the lawn yesterday!

I'm calling this done, RFI here.

Thanks chaps for all your support and advice, as usual and a special thanks to Simon (Beard), without whom this would have been an empty Dambuster. :)

• Like 13

Ced, that's a great looking Lanc. The finish is very good and the light weathering suits the subject. Congrats on an excellent job :goodjob:

I'll keep your thread bookmarked as a reference for when I have the courage to build mine.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks all, you're very kind! I've started my next WiP here, a MkI Spitfire for the BoB GB.

Adrian I'm going to play with the green for future builds... you're right, it's too light. A few drops of black?

I really appreciate your comments, support, advice and, of course, companionship during my builds and especially this one... hopefully I can complete a Spitfire in less than 23 pages!!

• Like 3

Thanks all, you're very kind! I've started my next WiP here, a MkI Spitfire for the BoB GB.

.. hopefully I can complete a Spitfire in less than 23 pages!!

I doubt it.................... :wicked:

Sean

• Like 3

I doubt it.................... :wicked:

Sean

:rofl:

Really is spot on Ced, great work... And your lawn is so very green! What is your secret? Mine would not look out of place in southern Italy its gone so dry!

Rob

Thanks Rob. The lawn's not that good if you step back... one of my 'chores' I'm afraid.

I go away for a night and find the chrysalis has turned into a butterfly! Nice Job. What's next?

Martin

Thanks Martin - next one is in the BoB GB, a Spitfire - hooray!

Oh, that looks really nice, it's turned out rather special. :goodjob:

Now I'm off to look at the RFI and your next build.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, means a lot as always...

Excellent!

Thanks Alex! Smiley-face, like.