Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

A3872C32-2F69-463A-84FC-D8A2E81727B6_zps

Two lots of paint later. That's going to need another coat isn't it. What I need is another airbrush... Paul Budzik says a larger nozzle (I used 0.4) isn't enough and you need a different airbrush for large areas, but then he's got lots of airbrushes. And lots. Let's see what happens when that wet stuff dries.

Thanks for looking :)

That is turning into a very nice build Ced, looking really good. Never heard of Paul Budzik before but I agree with the statement that you need different airbrushes for different jobs.

Why did you paint the topside black when you have to put the lighter cammo on over the black? You made life more difficult for yourself than necessary there :)

• Like 1

I (like many others) have been looking for a good, non-smelly primer for some time. Why? Because I like airbrushing now (see below) but I spray 'in the house'. I have a cheap spray booth to catch the spray but, as it's not vented outside, any smell enters the room (of course).

Ced,

Here is an article that might help with with spraying in the house. Done by one of my fellow CoMMiES (Colorado club). Also good info to make your own paintbooth for those who might be looking.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

• Like 1

Well lookee here - what did I find on eBay, for $6 with free shipping from New York. I can't wait til I have two wing halves or something to deal with. Just know my builds will be better. Have you ever seen a grown man get so excited about clothes pegs before?

pegs_zpsb6cbqetg.jpg

Mind you, I'm still up for giving some deserving soul on a trip to the U.K. the opportunity to shop for more of these for me. Sort of a Pay it Forward from a nasty tea hunt I once endured. Forget the brand now, but an English friend out here just had to have this tea, available from Harrods. There is always such a jostle of tourists outside that shop, they employ crowd control, and a dress code it turns out. My brother, wearing very fashionable torn jeans was turned away, despite his explaining that they had been deliberately ripped in France for a huge amount of money. I'm left to forage through the food hall alone ( as alone as one can be while being jostled in a maelstrom of humanity ) but I do find the tea and emerge back onto the street striking a pose of triumph.

Well, we soon discovered, you could get this tea anywhere, when we stopped into a small kiosk type thing for batteries, and saw it there too. Upon arrival back in L.A., I'm giving this friend of mine a little bit of grief for sending me, unnecessarily, into Harrods. "It just tastes when it comes from Harrods' was the reply.

Somebody is going laundry item shopping!

• Like 4

I saw a variety of those sort of pegs in a shop - BM Stores in Dundee, where I found myself wandering to kill some time while my dog was getting a haircut - very keenly priced too, it must have been a sad sight to see a grown man visibly struggling to tear himself away from a display of clothes pegs muttering "No! No, you've got enough already..." :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Morning all!

That is turning into a very nice build Ced, looking really good. Never heard of Paul Budzik before but I agree with the statement that you need different airbrushes for different jobs.

Why did you paint the topside black when you have to put the lighter cammo on over the black? You made life more difficult for yourself than necessary there :)

Thanks Julian :)

Paul is one of my gurus and his videos are very entertaining and informative IMHO, although his skill levels are unattainable for me I fear. However, Paul at Modelling tools says most people use 0.4mm nozzles for 'large areas' on 1/72 so I'm saving my money - I'm happy with the coverage on Tommy now (if not necessarily the colour!!)

Jaime asked the same question about the black and I posted my excuses here. I'm still in two minds and I'll have to wait until the green is on and the masking off to decide :)

Ced,

Here is an article that might help with with spraying in the house. Done by one of my fellow CoMMiES (Colorado club). Also good info to make your own paintbooth for those who might be looking.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

Thanks Phil - great link. I have one of these booths that can have a hose so I think I'll reorganise 'the office' so that I can stick a hose out of the window. Maybe. :)

Well lookee here - what did I find on eBay, for $6 with free shipping from New York. I can't wait til I have two wing halves or something to deal with. Just know my builds will be better. Have you ever seen a grown man get so excited about clothes pegs before?

Mind you, I'm still up for giving some deserving soul on a trip to the U.K. the opportunity to shop for more of these for me. Sort of a Pay it Forward from a nasty tea hunt I once endured. Forget the brand now, but an English friend out here just had to have this tea, available from Harrods. There is always such a jostle of tourists outside that shop, they employ crowd control, and a dress code it turns out. My brother, wearing very fashionable torn jeans was turned away, despite his explaining that they had been deliberately ripped in France for a huge amount of money. I'm left to forage through the food hall alone ( as alone as one can be while being jostled in a maelstrom of humanity ) but I do find the tea and emerge back onto the street striking a pose of triumph.

Well, we soon discovered, you could get this tea anywhere, when we stopped into a small kiosk type thing for batteries, and saw it there too. Upon arrival back in L.A., I'm giving this friend of mine a little bit of grief for sending me, unnecessarily, into Harrods. "It just tastes when it comes from Harrods' was the reply.

Somebody is going laundry item shopping!

I've been excited by pegs, in a modelling way of course. :)

I think you should pass a bit of pain in exchange for the Harrods tea episode - great story Mike :)

I saw a variety of those sort of pegs in a shop - BM Stores in Dundee, where I found myself wandering to kill some time while my dog was getting a haircut - very keenly priced too, it must have been a sad sight to see a grown man visibly struggling to tear himself away from a display of clothes pegs muttering "No! No, you've got enough already..." :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

You can never have too many pegs / clamps ... remember the feeling you get with glue on the gap and you find you've run out? Lesson learnt my friend, lesson learnt :)

Hello Stew,

You can never have enough clamps - I mean, clothes pegs :D.

Cheers,
Alex.

See? Alex agrees :)

I've spent my early morning time masking the Hurricane with two new techniques and I'm happy, very happy. Now I need to do some work, not so happy as Tommy won't get any attention until tonight. But then I can use the new techniques to mask and spray the DG!

• Like 1

Hi

* I've had to check that spelling again and again... 'i' before 'e' except after 'c', unless it's in freighter. And lots of other words.

You missed a bit out, which does help: i before e except after c WHEN THE SOUND IS EE. Freighter therefore doesn't count cos the sound is "Eh?"

• Like 1

Hey Crisp and Ian :)

OK, OK, it's a silly rule. Full details on Wikipedia here. No wonder they say English is hard to learn - but it keeps my wife and daughter in work. Actually that's not right either as Mrs B has just retired. I give up :)

• Like 1

A Form III English teacher once asked us to pronounce GHOTI using standard English rules. Nobody got the it - the obvious answer being "Fish"

GH as in enough, O as in women, and TI as n station.

• Like 2

Hey Mike :) '... the obvious answer being "Fish"' :hmmm:

Following my success (IMHO) with masking the Hurricane using film and panzer putty I've done the same to Tommy:

8F70089E-98E1-4012-BF95-FAB0B9F8AD26_zps261759AE-F199-4623-B48C-31ACB9A277DE_zps

Ooh look Dad, a Dambuster!

C34E4EBD-6B6E-4CD6-B80F-B00CD6EC2CAB_zps

Well, nearly. Lots of bits to stick on but the end is in sight (fnaar fnaar) :)

Yes I did have to run around my office trying to find somewhere to take a picture that showed the contrast between the colours.

Yes maybe they are still a little light to my Humbrol trained eyes. I'm used to this:

7f2f50968295a47a2d390ceb6f004879_zps9cf7

Yes I have seen the thread about Light Earth / Light Green thanks :)

Finally, yes I did forget to paint the upkeep while I had the green in the airbrush but I've done it now.

Looking forward to some more glueing and getting the turrets on. Thanks for looking :)

• Like 6

Don't think I've seen your Polish wimpey before Ced, very nice, which kit was it?

I have to say the green especially on the Lanc looks a little light in the photo, but it's a very bright image so the colour "in the flesh" may well be different. As this will be a ceiling queen I'm damn sure I wouldn't be worrying about it!

• Like 1

Thanks Martin and Julian :)

Thanks Jon :) The Wimpey is the Trumpeter kit and was built before I braved BM... thankfully, as it was also the intended recipient of my first, disastrous, venture into PE.

Last post tonight - couldn't resist fitting a few bits before bed. The last time you'll see the motor and a pic of the other bits to fit (plus props and turrets):

473C2552-FD90-49CE-83B5-4A033EAD61CC_zpsFC1743E5-04BC-46DD-AD5E-C7F5AF3B7F76_zps

The clamp is there to hold the arms together - I've not glued the bomb yet as there's a transfer to apply.

So, Klear coat or not? Just use MicroSol on the decals? I will matt coat and may do a bit of weathering, but not much as I assume Tommy, as a reserve aircraft, didn't get much wear.

• Like 2

You missed a bit out, which does help: i before e except after c WHEN THE SOUND IS EE. Freighter therefore doesn't count cos the sound is "Eh?"

Is that "EE" as in "Dbl-E" (snigger) ;).

Cheeses,

Alex.

• Like 1

Great progress Ced and the paint job looks excellent :goodjob:

I'd say the colours of the top camouflage look washed out due to overexposure, since you photographed the model on a black chair. If you take the picture with a neutral gray background, the colours should be reproduced more realistically in the picture.

Regarding the klear coat, I would suggest you go for it. Even if you use Micro Set, a gloss coat always provides a better surface for the decals to conform to. After Micro Set dries, make sure all excess solvent is expelled from under the decal by rubbing it gently with a cotton bud. Then, apply Micro Sol to ensure the decal completely conforms to the surface and let it dry without touching it (you can apply Micro Set several times for a better result).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Alex :)

Thanks Jaime, Klear it is and thanks for the tip :)

Idiot's progress today? Assemble the bomb drive and realise that the belt goes inside the support so all that clamping was not only a waste of time, it was just wrong. I would like to be able to blame the instructions but as I'd used the fixing point for the cocktail stick whilst painting I'll blame my memory. Again:

4872272F-9122-49C8-9371-D004BB2B36F3_zps01FB02A9-A7F3-4198-A36C-358F39474068_zps

It's in now and all the grunting has produced what I'm going to call 'a nice chipping effect'. However, I don't think the bomb's going to come out so I'm expecting fun with the transfers.

I've also had a bit of a problem with the covers (not my day is it?). Like the gear doors there's no locating pins and the parts wobble, so I used a multi-step tape/glue/clamp method as usual:

31592383-A15F-4E1D-8C8D-E53EE4DDF175_zpsEDE975FA-25C1-423C-8C70-3E3DB2544DFF_zps

Eventually got the covers lined up. Just the props and turrets to fit now and, as usual, I think I'll fit the props after the klear coat / transfers and the turrets right at the end.

Oh, the wings!! Perhaps they ought to go on now before the Klear coat. Perhaps I should wait until tomorrow. :hmmm:

• Like 3

Couldn't resist sticking the wings on. I sanded the end of the spars a bit, slid the wings on to check the fit (they click!) and then pulled them off a bit, applied some extra thin and slid them back on:

918B56CE-147B-4B12-A8EC-1563AE1AB838_zpsCBFB4649-2B2B-435A-A079-68140C936890_zps

Johnny's still there. Hey, wait a minute! Where's the part that holds the front turret on? I'd glued it with Copydex originally but pulled it off when test fitting the turrets. Scroll back thorough posts... it's on in the shot on my chair... oh, good grief, "Bad Day Episode 2 - This Time it's Personal".

Off for a 'hunt the part' game. I may be gone some time...

• Like 4

Found it!

Here's the floor of my 'office' next to my workstation (yes Mum, I'll tidy up later):

670A7D82-7374-4122-B28E-DD36B6FEC611_zpsA3D6BE5B-85D4-44C7-BBE4-135F3A4B3BF2_zps

I've been in the filing cabinet today and that meant moving the power board. i must have either stepped on the part and carried it there on my bare foot, or it fell there and I trod on it later. Looked BAD (man) but some very careful bending in my hot fingers and it fits:

FD17EAAD-76F2-4EAD-8F0C-C899DA19D453_zps35290803-00b1-4e69-a6ca-5b7205f3bc52_zps

I think I'd better stop for the rest of today before I break something else. There will be wine tonight!

• Like 8

Glad that worked out, I had a few of these fellas lined up :pray: , obviously not needed now .

It is a treat watching this come together, and I shall remember,(hopefully) how this went when I get around

to building my Lanc.

A sort of W.D.C.D??

Home straight now buddy,

Sean

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

It's coming along nicely, despite the small mishaps (I know how they can drive us nuts...)

Looking forward to seeing the decals on :-)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I don't hope you have nightmares about the vicious, sneaky big bad carpet monster while sleeping. It loves delicious small plastic and etched parts. Have fun with the wine. Looks good so far. The green looks a bit to much like lime green But it could be the photo. I don't know, what causes that. I would like to see a picture in the outside daylight. Anyway good job. :popcorn: .

• Like 2

Modelling in bare feet, whatever next?

Bare feet? That's nothing, it is not unknown for me to wake up in the middle of the night with the answer to a modelling problem, jump out of bed and rush to the model room and sit there stark naked modelling before going back to bed. :mental:

Sorry about that to anyone who hasn't had their tea yet! :puke:

Good progress despite your problems today Ced, perhaps you should have had the wine before starting?

Martin

• Like 3