Airfix 2013, some interesting new releases!

Rob P

andrewfl290, on 08 December 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Barnes Wallis designed the Wellington and didn't a Wellington do the early trials to prove the bouncing bomb concept? Could this clue point to a new Wellington?

Andrew

Reginald "Rex" Pierson was the designer of the Wellington. Barnes Wallis devised the geodesic airframe structure which was utilised in the aircraft.

.......you learn something new every day, I hadn't appreciated that.

Andrew

andrewfl290, on 08 December 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Barnes Wallis designed the Wellington and didn't a Wellington do the early trials to prove the bouncing bomb concept? Could this clue point to a new Wellington?

Andrew

Reginald "Rex" Pierson was the designer of the Wellington. Barnes Wallis devised the geodesic airframe structure which was utilised in the aircraft.

.......you learn something new every day, I hadn't appreciated that.

Andrew

The Airfix Editor talks about a King Air in his opening page, A hint may be.!!!!

The Airfix Editor talks about a King Air in his opening page, A hint may be.!!!!

I really want a Super King Air, was looking forward to the Model Alliance one but they went belly up with no news on the status of the kits they announced. Wanted their T-45, AS350 ad A109 too!

Paul Harrison

I really want a Super King Air, was looking forward to the Model Alliance one but they went belly up with no news on the status of the kits they announced. Wanted their T-45, AS350 ad A109 too!

Paul Harrison

Yes lets hope the MA molds have been retained & will be issued if & when the Ex staff reappear under a new name. There were some lovely kits about to appear in their range. It would make sense for Airfix to produce the King Air as there are three Mks operating with the RN/RAF plus many civvie types. Edited by Grizzly

Seeing as Revell made a bit of a horse's bottom of the Halifax.......I wouldn't object to Airfix doing another MkI/II.

I wouldn't object either but, as I'm personally happy with the Revell kit, I'd STILL prefer a B Mk III!! Of course, if they did both.......................!!!

Yes lets hope the MA molds have been retained & will be issued if & when the Ex staff reappear under a new name. There were some lovely kits about to appear in their range. It would make sense for Airfix to produce the King Air as there are three Mks operating with the RN/RAF plus many civvie types.

Some of the kits announced by MA had been announced for a good number of years (the A109 for example), I wonder if they had really appeared even if the company had not closed.

Personally I've decided to try and rework a diecast model instead of waiting for a kit of the A109... it will take me a long time, but it will likely be less than what I'd have waited for MA to finally do one.

Well the first of the new kits for 2013 and hinted at in the Advent Calendar has already been released....

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10203406

Aimed at the Japanese Market, its the Stratos IV TSR2-MS with the later larger missile and a revised decal option.

Hopefully this means that Freightdog will rerelease its resin sets.

Why ?, the current boxing of the TSR2-MS is still readily available and both kits can still be built as proper TSR-2 aircraft completed with the corrected decals for the prototpyes. Colin will only re-issue the upgrade sets if there is definative demand for them to warrant the cost of resin production, i think it will need other motivators to stimulate interest for that to happen.

Well the first of the new kits for 2013 and hinted at in the Advent Calendar has already been released....

Aimed at the Japanese Market, its the Stratos IV TSR2-MS with the later larger missile and a revised decal option.

Great "what if" potential - especially those huge missiles AND the rocket boosters!!. However, I'd would personally rather see a complete re tool, with stacks of British whizz bangs for an "in service" TSR 2. Of course, it won't happen - probably for lots of good sensible commercial reasons. Anybody got any ideas as to the latest item on the advent calendar? Looks like a biplane of some description?

Thats the one they should have released first time round. Looks like my Valiant thought was completely wrong

32 new tools is a massive number, so I would expect a fair few to be counted more than once - like the new P-51 and F-51 Mustangs, the two Swordfish, the two Bf 109Es... They may even be counting starter set versions of new tools as well?

You forgot the 1:72 VC-10 that some folk were predicting/hoping/praying would appear next year! :wicked::lol:

Look guys, just start on that old 1970s 1/32 scale vacform, adding parts from a £95 Hasegawa kit and a couple of etched frets. By the time you get it to the decal stage, a new tool injection kit of it will be announced. Simple. Now get whittling on behalf of the rest of us....

Great "what if" potential - especially those huge missiles AND the rocket boosters!!. However, I'd would personally rather see a complete re tool, with stacks of British whizz bangs for an "in service" TSR 2. Of course, it won't happen - probably for lots of good sensible commercial reasons. Anybody got any ideas as to the latest item on the advent calendar? Looks like a biplane of some description?

Looks like a ski-equipped Swedish Gladiator to me.

John

Why ?, the current boxing of the TSR2-MS is still readily available and both kits can still be built as proper TSR-2 aircraft completed with the corrected decals for the prototpyes. Colin will only re-issue the upgrade sets if there is definative demand for them to warrant the cost of resin production, i think it will need other motivators to stimulate interest for that to happen.

Why? Well...because....because I want to buy them. It's purely selfish, I'm afraid.

Has anyone seen the 2013 Airfix calendar?, it has a new boxart for the Sunderland -possible re-tool to compete with italeri?

also its attacking a U boat (dont like the conning tower numbers though) i bet someone on that bridge is shouting 'dive dive dive' and other things that will get the mods typing angrily if i post them.

The Sunderland escaped at Telford - but only seen on the Wonderland Models stand. Not a new tool and only one decal option.

In the Airfix newsletter received today they mention they will announce their 2013 programme on the 19th December. So not sure how it ties in with their advent calendar ?

Robert

I wouldn't object either but, as I'm personally happy with the Revell kit, I'd STILL prefer a B Mk III!! Of course, if they did both.......................!!!

I'm not a lover of the MkIII but I wouldn't be surprised if Revell do the MkIII anyway as it looks like there's parts for it on the sprues. And it might be more accurate than their jumbled up B MkI/II as things like the prop blades are paddle shaped like the MkIII.

Is the pic from the 10th a reissue of the NATO ground crew figure set? Seem to remember the standing pilot was pretty good.

Paul Harrison

All,

Is it just me, or has Airfix made a slight error with todays question?

I'm not a space expert however I would say the the Skylab answer should be Saturn V.

Of the 3 options available you can choose between Saturn 1, XI or VI?

Anyway - I doubt I'll win, It seems Airfix are only prepared to pay postage for UK customers only.

I would also be happy to join the airfix club, however the postage cost is astronomical (shame really).

I always buy my new Airfix kits from Hattons of Liverpool. Non UK customers do not pay VAT and they charge next to nothing for postage. I can highly recommend them to anyone who lives outside Europe. I have often received my kits inside a week from ordering and I live in Australia.

Cheers and good luck to all. Personally I think the pic of th Lanc II is an error, however we will see a merlin engined one (or two perhaps).

Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Me too... I thought it was my lack of knowledge of space stuff ... hope they rectify it .... better still hope i manage to win something someday .... :analintruder:

Edited by lsshamsul