Airfix 2013, some interesting new releases!

Rob P

Since they have been so careless with their Website structure, it is possible to "peek" into the days ahead on their advent calendar

I wont spoil things completely, but there will be some happy people next year. Once again Airfix will be getting peoples hard earned cash, mine included.

A pair of "tin wing" 1st gen, get your wooden stakes out for another, and scale down a 2012 release that has long been speculated!

:)

Since they have been so careless with their Website structure, it is possible to "peek" into the days ahead on their advent calendar

I wont spoil things completely, but there will be some happy people next year. Once again Airfix will be getting peoples hard earned cash, mine included.

A pair of "tin wing" 1st gen, get your wooden stakes out for another, and scale down a 2012 release that has long been speculated!

:)

...' and a scale down a 2012 release....' Do you mean 1/48 to 1/72 or the other way? Make me happy and give me a hint as to which mark of Spitfire (1/72) it will be: had a thread on this so I'm anxious to know....

Ok - see as I see this, we have a a Gnat ( 1/48th?) , a Gladiator, a Vampire night fighter, a 1/72 EE Lightning, a Hercules Lancaster, a 1st gen Harrier; and surely not, a Hawker Typhoon ( be stil my beating heart) plus some other wheely and tracky things.

Jonners

The problem is: even if these are the news for next year, are we sure about the scale ? And are we sure they are new moulds and not reboxes ? All these types have already appeared in Airfix catalogue apart from the Lancaster Mk.II and the Vampire NF....

From the top:

1st FW190

2nd Gnat is probably a reissue in Yellowjacks markings

3rd not sure... Shws a twin and a Destroyer with the caption "Tauchen, Tauchen, Tauchen"

4th Japanese infantry

5th Eye in the Sy, Spitfire MkXIX which we already knew.

6th early 2nd world war/Malta Defender which I don' have to name. Those that want one will know what I ean.

7th Typhoon. No, not the jet.

8th A barnestorming idea. Not a plane in sight in the photo, just Michael Redgrave. Speculate about this one 'til your heart's content.

9th 2x4 transport? A wheely thing.

10th Nato ground crew.

Oh and chaps these are just sneeky peeks we'll need to see what the release list actually says! There may be more stuff that we havent been told about!

Of course there are others not on the calendar. Same as last year.

Barnestorming idea - did initially think about one of his weapon designs, but I'm veering towards a Wellington or Wellesley, or maybe even a Warwick? At a push I did think also the Victory Bomber, but that would be quite a gamble.

It seems that a 1:72 Lightning is pretty much a dead cert then - unless it's the other 1:48 variant re-released, in which case it's a very cruel tease! I think the Lightning came out near the top of a recent poll on Airfix's Facebook page though, so if I were a bookie I'd stop taking bets now :)

I like the idea of a Herculese engined Lancaster too. The lancaster must be one of Airfix's best earners over the years, so it makes perfect sense to replace it now.

If the Vampire turns out to be 1:72 then it'll be an excellent year for me :)

No sign of a 1:72 VC-10 though, which doesn't surprise me in the least *cough* commercial suicide *cough*

It seems that a 1:72 Lightning is pretty much a dead cert then - unless it's the other 1:48 variant re-released, in which case it's a very cruel tease! I think the Lightning came out near the top of a recent poll on Airfix's Facebook page though, so if I were a bookie I'd stop taking bets now :)

They could of course do both!

One thing that is in no doubt, Airfix have been really clever with the sales and marketing team. Just the threads on this forum alone are stirring up good discussion about forthcoming product.

Doesn't seem to be that long ago that Airfix were seen as a kit producer serving the introductory end of the market. They are fast becoming a contender in the mainstream 'adult' modeller market.

Long may it continue and I do hope there is a 1/72 scale Lightning for you guys in 2013 (seems to be a recurring theme on that subject) :popcorn:

Shame they won't be doing any classic British cars in 1/24 scale, real shame. Still, I will get the PR Spitfire, looking forward to that.

Steve.

I'm wondering if 3rd is another incarnation of the Swordfish? "Tauchen, Tauchen, Tauchen" is, more or less, "dive dive dive".

John

I'll second that.

Pavla have a conversion set for the Swordfish to night time U boat hunting.

Airfix look set to do the same, but issuing a full kit, as they did with the floatplane Swordfish.

8th A barnestorming idea. Not a plane in sight in the photo, just Michael Redgrave. Speculate about this one 'til your heart's content.

This might also mean a re issue of the Grand Slam/ Tall boy Lanc.

Or a nice new decent Wellingtom. Or Barnes Wallis' Swallow swept wing thingy???

Edited by Paul J

One thing that is in no doubt, Airfix have been really clever with the sales and marketing team. Just the threads on this forum alone are stirring up good discussion about forthcoming product.

Which leads me to think that their "mistake" on the Advent calender actually wasn't... :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix