Airfix 2013, some interesting new releases!

Rob P

I am getting quite frustrated over Airfix releases. I got socks for Xmas from my missus because of the Type 45 saga, and we are now nearly 4 months into 2013 and none of the models from this years range that I want appear anywhere near imminent.

If the management (new or old) at Airfix/Hornby cannot see how much of a cash-cow the Lightning re-tool is going to be, I fear it is a matter of time before they are in trouble again :(

Well there's the sticking point - none of the models you want, so its all going to hell in a handcart. And yet of the 2013 programme, the Spitfire XIX and Vampire were released within months of their announcement and there has been as steady flow of releases each month.

Now here's the thing, you can't flood the market with new stuff in one go. You have to stagger releases so that all-new kits are not lost in a deluge, or people's spending power isn't stretched in one go. Long story short, specially for new stuff, it needs to have impact so people will notice it. There's also other stuff that has to be contended with like licensing, logistics, shipping schedules... I could list a dozen or more variables.

I sympathise that stuff isn't coming out when you want it - but just because its not to your timetable doesn't mean something is wrong either.

Edited by Jonathan Mock
  • Like 2

You have to stagger releases so that all-new kits are not lost in a deluge, or people's spending power isn't stretched in one go.

Excellent point Jonathan - & one which I wholeheartedly agree with, as a Julyish release for the Lanc BII gives me time to get the readies together for that, & then the hopefully December release of the Frightning will hopefully see me able to afford one or three...!! Just have to fit a Gladiator in there somewhere too...!!

keef

• Like 1

Well, it is in my room... :D

Not that there aren't other interesting ones, but for me the new Lightning is the most awaited

It's in my radar and my wallets going to take a beating this year!

January
Spitfire MkXIX 1:48
Vampires 1/72

February
Typhoons 1/72

March
Dambuster Lancaster 1/72
The Dambusters! 1/72

April
Gloster Gladiators 1/72

May
British Vehicle Crew 1/48
WWII Bomber Re-Supply Set 1/72

June
Avro Lancaster BII 1/72
Focke Wulf Fw190A's 1/72
Dogfight Double Focke Wulf/Hawker Typhoon 1/72

July
Mini Countrymen WRC 1/32
Mini Countryman WRC/Ford Fiesta WRC 1/32
Hawker Harriers Gr1 1/72

August
Gloster Gladiator Plus Skis 1/72

September
Gloster Javelin FAW9/9R 1/48

October
British Quad Bikes and Crew 1/48
Focke Wulf 190 A8/F8 1/72

November
BAE Warrior 1/48
Hawker Hurricane Mk1 1/72

December
EE Lightning F2 1/72
Hawker Harrier GR3 1/72

That was my understanding of the release schedule. But assuming it's correct the Typhoon is now overdue.

Edited by chaddy

Thanks, first time I've seen a complete schedule anywhere, although now of course its accuracy is already being called into question due to the tardiness of the Typhoon.

I understand I have different priorities to others, Jonathan, but I would have thought common sense dictates that a lot more Lightnings are going to sell than Dinahs (which isnt on the schedule anyway..)

Thanks, first time I've seen a complete schedule anywhere, although now of course its accuracy is already being called into question due to the tardiness of the Typhoon.

I understand I have different priorities to others, Jonathan, but I would have thought common sense dictates that a lot more Lightnings are going to sell than Dinahs (which isnt on the schedule anyway..)

The Dinah's a re-release though...

That was my understanding of the release schedule. But assuming it's correct the Typhoon is now overdue.

probably means the Lightning can't be expected till 2014 now. :lol: NOOOOOO, however are people going to survive? ;):P

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

I was hoping to swindle my little kiddies into getting their hard working dad a nice big Javelin for Father's Day, however it appears that this schedule is already running approx 2 months late.

I just might have to settle on a Harrier Gr.1, which is probably a little closer to the amount of money that "Mum" will give them to spend on me anyway? I don't suppose that bearded man with the sack full of toys is also a britmodeller member?? If so PM me and I'll pass on my home address. Thanks.

On the other hand I would rather wait a couple of months, then have Airfix release their new kits with flaws or quality control issues.

Cheers .. Dave.

According to the Wonderland Models site, which has been pretty accurate recently as far as Airfix release dates go, The situation is:

Dambuster - the expect about now

Dambuster gift set - 22nd April

Lanc MkII - 7th June

Typhoon - 15th April

Typhoon gift set - 15th April

F190A8 - 7th June 2013

FW190 gift set - 7th June

FW190/Typhoon DfD - 7th June

Gladiator - 16th May

Gladiator gift set - about now

Bomber Support Set - 3rd May

That's all the new moulds they've published dates for so far, but they tend to go one quarter at at time.

John

My local shop today had the Yellowjacks and the Dinah, but no Lanc, Gladiator or (sob) Typhoon.

Those Wonderland release dates seem a little odd. The almost one-a-week release system doesn't seem to match (what I think has been) the usual pattern of releases. However, if that's what is being predicted, let's see how it goes.

If that's correct then then the schedule has changed from the one I've seen.

That well may be the case though. It's necessary to get the Dambuster Lancaster out before May and as it seems to have slipped a little from the March date, I suppose it's just possible that the Typhoon has had to be re-scheduled from Feb to April to concentrate on the Lancaster.

There's another thread somewhere linking to an ebay seller that claims to have the Lancaster already. So if the Wonderland schedule is correct, we can expect the Typhoon next Monday !!! :yahoo:

• 2 months later...

Yep - been there since the website upgrade. Along with Harrier GR1, Fw190 & Bomber Resupply set. Hopefully all to hit the shelves any time now.

Cheers.. Dave