Sea Gladiator - 802 NAS - HMS Glorious 1/32 ICM

I've been wondering about how it would look in silver and you have answered that one fantastic! Looks like the wallet will have to be forced open not just for another kit but decals as well! Excellent stuff!

• Thanks 1

Okay, someone saying they like rigging is like someone saying they love to mask greenhouse canopies.  Both are the least desirable tasks in model building for me at least.  Combine the rigging with the metal finish and two difficult tasks were done just wonderfully by you on this kit.  Another great looking Gladiator, but so different looking that the others that have appeared here recently.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

love to mask greenhouse canopies.

If it's any consolation, I do hate masking 😊

It had to be the Sea Gladiator for me. Nothing wrong with the Royal Air Force but, if it flies or gets launched off a ship, it really floats my boat 🤣

Thanks for the kind words George.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

Yes that’s it! Another beautiful Gladdie, but this time in my absolute favorite painting sceme. It looks soooo good. I also used the Prym Knitting elastic for my Stearman. I think it’s quite realistic because it’s flat. And easy to handle. May I ask where you buyer the decals? Don’t know if they were available here in Germany. 
Thank you very very much for sharing this beautiful model

Andy 

• Thanks 1

Wow! That is s stunner ... good work! 👌 

It looks 'right' in silver too ... 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

May I ask where you buyer the decals?

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. The decals are from AIMS and they were purchased from Hannants in the UK. I just checked and they are showing 1 sheet in stock at the moment.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

YES!!!! I really like unique subjects like this and completed to the highest degree of accuracy!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Beautiful model, beautifully built

However I have long had reservations about the black tail fin. It keeps appearing on Corgi display models, plastic kits and  decal sets, but that may well be a self perpetuating error.

In the 30's, the carriers each had their "own" colour, black for Eagle, blue for Courageous, etc. Glorious was yellow.

The black and white film of the day was not very sensitive to yellow light, and anything yellow came out very dark. I have just finished the Amodel Hawker Osprey, which came with Eagle markings, but I finished it in Glorious' colours. The only photo I could find showed the yellow markings as almost black. 

I am now building an Airfix 1/72 Gladiator as a Sea Gladiator in Glorious' markings. In the only photo I have found of a Glorious aircraft in silver finsh, the fin does indeed look almost black, but so does the fuselage band. However, it is possible to discern the G6A on the fuselage band as being marginally darker than the band itself.

This suggests to me that the fin and band were both yellow, with the G6A in black

This would be in keeping with the markings on a Swordfish which was on board Glorious at the same time. (Airfix A04053A) Yellow fin, yellow band  G5K. Similarly A04053B  H.M.S. Eagle black band black fin.

I suspect that some one misinterpreted the photo I found and did a colour version of what they thought they saw, and every thing else drew on that incorrect version Unfortunately, I cannot now find the original photo.

Does anyone have clear evidence of thr black fin?

• Like 2

Somehow missed this when you posted Steve, she's an absolute stunner, really lovely paint finish and decalling - all round top job!

Beautiful model!

Keith

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, redeye1 said:

I have long had reservations about the black tail fin.

That is interesting redeye, I have a couple of other HMS Glorious builds in the stash, will be checking the decals asap 👍

41 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

she's an absolute stunner

13 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

One of the loveliest Glads I've seen!

Many thanks Keith and Bob, much appreciated.

Atb, Steve.

Three great things about this post...

First and most obvious is your beautiful Sea Gladiator. A masterpiece.

Second it was great to see your club stand at the recent show at the NEC - I had a very enjoyable chat with Bill talking Sea Harriers and admiring his fine work.

And third I do love a Triumph - whether GT6, TR3, TR4 or any other number of their beautiful (if not always totally reliable) cars.

So thanks for sharing...

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nickthebrief said:

Three great things about this post...

First and most obvious is your beautiful Sea Gladiator. A masterpiece.

Second it was great to see your club stand at the recent show at the NEC - I had a very enjoyable chat with Bill talking Sea Harriers and admiring his fine work.

And third I do love a Triumph - whether GT6, TR3, TR4 or any other number of their beautiful (if not always totally reliable) cars.

So thanks for sharing...

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks a lot Nick.

Glad you had a nice chat with Bill, he's a lovely chap (until you get to know him 🤣) Our guys gave the show the thumbs up, so I'll probably attend next years event.

Good to hear you are a fellow admirer of Canley's finest output. I used to have a Spitfire 6 cylinder conversion as well but it was a struggle to run daily. Great car but the MX5 replacement is a lot more practical 👍

Atb, Steve.