Revell 1/144 Boeing 747-400 British Airways

Afternoon all,

Latest completion from me - Revell’s 1/144th scale Boeing 747-400 with DrawDecal’s British Airways decals. 

It’s been built out of the box, other than my usual mod to these kits in adding some height on the cockpit crown area with some Milliput to correct the profile. 

Although it’s getting a little long in the tooth now, the kit still builds reasonably well once excess flash is removed!

I was really sad when BA retired the 747 - not only is it one of my favourite commercial aircraft but I’d flown on them more than any other type and thought I’d do my own little tribute to ‘The Queen of the Skies’. The real thing was my last 747 flight when she brought me back from Australia once… the ‘Kangaroo Route’ is now 777 or 787 and it’s not quite the same. 

DSC_0257

DSC_0260

DSC_0262

DSC_0263

DSC_0265

DSC_0269

DSC_0271

DSC_0273

DSC_0278

DSC_0283

DSC_0300

DSC_0303

Long live the Queen!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 60
  • Thanks 3

Nice one Tom!

Got to agree that is a great shame that BA got rid of the 747's, but I suppose it was inevitable with the newer more fuel efficient big twins coming along.

Cheers

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A gorgeous build of the best airliner ever made,  I'm cabin crew for BA and the 747 is my favourite of all the aircraft I've flown on. All my colleagues loved it as did many of our frequent fliers who still express regret that it's been retired. My last flight on it was actually four years ago next Sunday from Lagos to Heathrow. At the time I didn't know that my last flight on it was my last flight on it ever. :cry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One regret in my flying career is that I never got to fly the B747. The other regret is Concorde... Anyway, she's beautiful Tom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tom thank you for sharing this nice model of the “Queen of the Skies” the 747 was one of my favourite aircraft to fly on, with the top deck club cabin being especially nice to travel in. Pity that BA have retired their fleet.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful 747.

I always enjoyed the flights on the queen of the skies,she very much deserves that name.

The landing on Kai Tak I will rember forever,quite an experience

Thanks for bringing back fond memories

Alex

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, Stephen said:

A gorgeous build of the best airliner ever made,  I'm cabin crew for BA and the 747 is my favourite of all the aircraft I've flown on. All my colleagues loved it as did many of our frequent fliers who still express regret that it's been retired. My last flight on it was actually four years ago next Sunday from Lagos to Heathrow. At the time I didn't know that my last flight on it was my last flight on it ever. :cry:

I too was sad to see them go. There’s just something about the 747. Seeing them all lined up for scrapping brought a tear to my eye. 

On 3/10/2024 at 4:08 PM, JWFP said:

Hi Tom thank you for sharing this nice model of the “Queen of the Skies” the 747 was one of my favourite aircraft to fly on, with the top deck club cabin being especially nice to travel in. Pity that BA have retired their fleet.

Many thanks - although I never had the privilege of the Upper Deck. I’ve flown on many 747s over the years (including a Qantas -SP!) but was always cattle class in the back 😂

Fantastic.  Any pictures of the cockpit crown area with some Milliput to correct the profile.   I'd love to learn that trick.  

• Like 3

Great work Tom :clap2:

Like many others I was disappointed when BA retired their fleet, my last 747 flight was just over four years ago on CIVT but have flown on your choice CIVM once.

Mike

• Like 1

Lovely job Tom, unlike most of my colleagues this type has never done anything for me but I know a good model when I see one!

Must feel different working on such a titchy subject for you 😂

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:18 PM, Ad-4N said:

Fantastic.  Any pictures of the cockpit crown area with some Milliput to correct the profile.   I'd love to learn that trick.  

On 3/13/2024 at 7:33 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

Like  @Ad-4Nsaid, I'd like to see how much correcting is needed. Your roof looks spot on.

Thanks, both - I didn’t take any as I didn’t really think anyone would be interested! I’ve got plans to do another sooner rather than later in the Landor retirement livery so I’ll snap a few pictures when the time comes. 

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Lovely job Tom, unlike most of my colleagues this type has never done anything for me but I know a good model when I see one!

Must feel different working on such a titchy subject for you 😂

Cheers, Alan… but how could you not love the 747! Blasphemy!

And yes - moving this around the workspace was a breeze!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!

I only flew once in a 747 (QANTAS Sydney to LA).  Well, twice, including the return flight. 😜

However, the QANTAS Museum in Longreach Australia has a well-preserved specimen (although retired from flight duties).

It’s wonderful to tour through her and appreciate this most iconic of airliners.

Beautiful model!

👏👏👏

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 6:54 AM, kapam said:

Awesome!

I only flew once in a 747 (QANTAS Sydney to LA).  Well, twice, including the return flight. 😜

However, the QANTAS Museum in Longreach Australia has a well-preserved specimen (although retired from flight duties).

It’s wonderful to tour through her and appreciate this most iconic of airliners.

Beautiful model!

👏👏👏

I have flown Qantas 747s a few times, and believe the one you refer to in the museum is VH-OJA which brought me home to Heathrow from Sydney once. In the back was a plaque commemorating the fact it was the then record holder for the longest non-stop flight - it flew London-Sydney non-stop as part of its delivery flight. On the same trip, I also got to fly on VH-OJB which was then painted in the first rendition of the 'Wunala Dreaming' scheme. Two special 747s on one trip was fantastic. To top it all off, on the next trip to Australia I came home on a 747SP which went like a rocket! Sadly, the SPs were retired shortly after. 

• Like 1

Great model, well done!

I went full circle with the 747. I remember my first 747-400 flight in 91 with BA Sydney to London. The 400 was still newish at that time so it was a bit of a big deal (especially as we travelled less in those days). I'd first flown as a kid, First Class (family relocation for Dad's job in the pre-business class days) and I can still remember the Capt Cook lounge in the bubble top of the QF 747-200 (would have been 1978).

Later in life, I travelled alot and 747s felt a bit like the old bus compared first to 777 and then later the 787. 

I had my peak "747 sucks" on a ratty old NWA -200 between HK and Japan in about 2006. I was like, what, this old thing?

But then they started to get rarer and I enjoyed them more - always 400s after that. I think the last one I flew was probably Thai in 2012. I had flights with Cathay, Air China and even a domestic hop in China.

By then I was keen on flying them again. I almost booked a trip to Iran just to fly on the 747SP! And I deliberately booked a 747-8i with Air China on a domestic leg in about 2017. It was a fantastic plane (must have been brand new). 

That time, I took the bullet train to Shanghai and the 748 back to Beijing. Door to door the train was 8 minutes slower!

Anyway - a great aeroplane and you did a lovely model of her. 

• Like 2