1/48 Douglas TBD-1 'Devastator' - Great Wall Hobby

Hi Folks, 

After the build of the Japanese Nakajima B5N2 'Kate', next in line was her Nemesis, the infamous American torpedo bomber carrier aircraft Douglas TBD-1 'Devastator'.  The kit is from the Chinese brand GWH (or Great Wall Hobby) from 2012.  I was pleasantly surprised by the nearly perfect fit of the fuselage and wings.  But things started to get complicated once I dry fit the canopy, not the closed one provided, but the seven-piece open canopy alternative.  Lot of sanding and testing of the last 3 parts of the canopy was needed as for the radioman/gunner can show his 0.30 Browning M2 displayed.  Except for that, the rest of the build went straight on.

Black basing and pre-shading technique was used to 'break' monotony on the one colour top fuselage.  Colors came mostly from Mr. Color 367 (Blue Gray) and AK RC 220 (Light Gull Grey).  Figures came from spares, Tamiya for the pilot and an old Monogram for the radioman/gunner.  I also used Eduard decals from they newer Wildcat kit to represent this aircraft used by VT-5 during the Battle of The Coral Sea, and I can tell you it was quite an adventure to peel the carrier film off!  Nonetheless, the tail was masked and painted.

A really nice kit, but it put to test all my skills developed in the last 3 years since I return to the hobby. Very glad on how it came to life.

You can see all the building process at my instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/cris.oveja.negra/

All the best from Santiago, keep modelling, 

Cris.

B970AAA0-871D-4255-914E-9E1199E52078

IMG_4455

IMG_4456

IMG_4457

IMG_4458

IMG_4460

IMG_4462

IMG_4515

IMG_4518

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 63
  • Thanks 1

Great built, thought I am not fun of pilots on models. Squadron has a canopy for the Monogram Devastator that can be used for the GWH model! Un abraço to Santiago.

• Thanks 1

Nice model, Chris!

I suspect the pilots of Torpedo Squadron 8 were expecting more vigorous and aggressive fighter cover. TBDs had a decent showing at Coral Sea and it was probably expected by the pilots to do just as well or better. at Midway. I don't think any of em were expecting the meat grinder that they flew into.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, David H said:

Nice model, Chris!

I suspect the pilots of Torpedo Squadron 8 were expecting more vigorous and aggressive fighter cover. TBDs had a decent showing at Coral Sea and it was probably expected by the pilots to do just as well or better. at Midway. I don't think any of em were expecting the meat grinder that they flew into.

Agreed. Just an observation, the torpedo squadrons that fought at Midway were other than the ones that fought at Coral Sea (VT-2 and VT-5). VT-8 and VT-6 were completely slaughtered by the Japanese CAP and AAA. VT-3 was also badly hit, but Jimmy Thatch and his fighters fought valiantly against the Zeros preventing further shoot-downs.

Outstanding workmanship on that one! Paintwork is beautiful. Feel free to pat yourself on the back.     :)

Ever since they found these guys...

28616465_10160063302075174_8580539240028427820_o

...I've been wondering if it's possible to make a diorama of an aircraft that is under water. Anyone know if that's ever been done? Probably would need to be in a letterbox format (box with a window in the front).

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2