Airfix 1/72 Dambusters Lancaster

A superb job on this Lanc.  If it is not your scale, I would really like to see builds in the scale you are most comfortable with.  Just a beauty.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Great build of an iconic aircraft - well done.

I have a slightly tenuous Dambusters story involving this aircraft which I've recounted before on BM - sorry for being repetitive, but here goes...

My sister emigrated to Australia in the late 1970s. Her middle son is an engineer for a German armaments company providing stuff for the Australian Army.

While he was working in Kassel, Germany we took a trip with him to the Eder Dam. Pictures were taken and posted on social media.  Months later while visiting my sister in Australia we were discussing our visit to the Eder Dam and her father-in-law suddenly piped-up "my best friend at school was a Dambuster and knocked down that Dam".  Turns out his best mate was Pilot Officer Les Knight RAAF who was the pilot on Lancaster N for Nan which was the 3rd aircraft to attack the Eder Dam and whose bomb succeeded in breaching the wall. 

The Edersee is a long hockey-stick shaped lake - with a long stretch of water followed by a 90degree right turn to a short 500metre run-in to the Dam.

It is quite remarkable when you consider that the crews were doing this low level 90 degree turn manoeuvre at night just 50feet above the lake and with only a few seconds to align with the Dam - and then succeeding in hitting the target.

An outstandingly brave and epic achievement.

Sadly, Les Knight didn't survive the war - he stayed with 617 Squadron and was killed in action in late 1944 while taking part in the Dortmund-Emms Canal raid dropping Grand Slam bombs.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for taking time to comment or like this build, it's much appreciated.

15 hours ago, Timo said:

Great build of an iconic aircraft - well done.

I have a slightly tenuous Dambusters story involving this aircraft which I've recounted before on BM - sorry for being repetitive, but here goes...

My sister emigrated to Australia in the late 1970s. Her middle son is an engineer for a German armaments company providing stuff for the Australian Army.

While he was working in Kassel, Germany we took a trip with him to the Eder Dam. Pictures were taken and posted on social media.  Months later while visiting my sister in Australia we were discussing our visit to the Eder Dam and her father-in-law suddenly piped-up "my best friend at school was a Dambuster and knocked down that Dam".  Turns out his best mate was Pilot Officer Les Knight RAAF who was the pilot on Lancaster N for Nan which was the 3rd aircraft to attack the Eder Dam and whose bomb succeeded in breaching the wall. 

The Edersee is a long hockey-stick shaped lake - with a long stretch of water followed by a 90degree right turn to a short 500metre run-in to the Dam.

It is quite remarkable when you consider that the crews were doing this low level 90 degree turn manoeuvre at night just 50feet above the lake and with only a few seconds to align with the Dam - and then succeeding in hitting the target.

An outstandingly brave and epic achievement.

Sadly, Les Knight didn't survive the war - he stayed with 617 Squadron and was killed in action in late 1944 while taking part in the Dortmund-Emms Canal raid dropping Grand Slam bombs.

Cheers

Tim

Can never be repetitive when you're telling a story like that one Tim. It truly is amazing how many coincidences life throws at us but that one must have been a goosebumps moment. I read some of the history of the Grand Slam missions and wondered how any of them ever got to the target let alone made it back. Truly courageous and remarkable people.

Pete

Excellent build!  👏👏👏

Welcome to the 1/72 world (which is my preferred scale).

These 4-engined behemoths are too big in 1/48 and beyond, for me. 😬

• Like 1

Awesome build. Love the not to stark exhaust stains on the wing tops.

You can’t beat a Lancaster such an iconic beastie. 

With my job I travel all over the UK and you can’t beat sat at the end of Conningsby Runway when the BBMF Lanc takes to the air. That incredible and distinctive sound of 4 Merlin’s……….

• Like 1