Airfix 1:48 McDD F-4K Phantom FG.1 - FAA ?

Tiger331

Hello Folks,

I will start with a disclaimer: I know absolutely NOTHING about any new project - This conjecture is based SOLELY on my own thoughts !.

It just strikes me that it must be on the cards for Airfix to be seriously thinking about a series of 1:48 'Spey' Phantom, starting with a FAA McDD F-4K Phantom FG.1. The company is clearly having a 'love affair' with the Post-War carrier-based Fleet Air Arm in recent years, what with the release of brand-new moulds of the Hawker Sea Fury, de Havilland Sea Vixen, Blackburn Buccaneer & Fairey Gannet (imminently) and the surprise release of the FAA version of the Sea King, including an early variant that operated off aircraft carriers. We now know that the 1:48 scale Buccaneer and Sea King kits were based on the success of their 1:72 cousins so I imagine that it must be going through the minds of the designers to seriously think about up-scaling the 1:72 kit of the mighty Phantom ?!.

Taking this into consideration along with the fact that the only other company that has attempted the Spey-engined Phantom in 1:48 scale is Hasegawa (some 34 years ago) and, ironically, this is also the only company to attempt the SH-3 Sea King in the same scale in the same timeframe, I believe it may be 'odds on' that Airfix take a punt. A Spey-engined Phantom, together with a re-release of the Gannet as an AEW.3 version would more or less complete an HMS Ark Royal CAG and go some way towards doing the same for a 1970s HMS Hermes CAG (- 892 NAS 'Tooms)

Welcome your views on my thoughts             

• Like 5

I see your logic and it would be great if this were true. Given that the next aircraft after the Phantom (Sea Harrier FRS.1, FA.2 and F-35B) have now been subject to modern and recent toolings the Spey Phantoms (or rather their absence) stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. If Airfix popped out a 1/48 version with the same level of detail as the Sea King I think it would generate a sound like an orchestra of cash registers.

• Like 3

My first thought was “Dear God, please not another “let’s try to second-guess the Airfix designers and marketing teams on a kit we think we’d really like to see them produce” thread.  Then I thought “OK; I’ll bite, just for the sake of a quick(?) game of Devil’s Advocate.

The Hasegawa F-4K and F-4M kits are over 30 years old; Hasegawa never down-scaled them to 1/72th scale, quite possibly because the very good Fujimi kits were there.

The kits have been re-boxed by Revell, with different decals, and are often more available in the UK and Europe than the Japanese-made originals.

Surface detail on the Hasegawa kits is quite fine and reasonably restrained; no excess of indented rivets here!  Outlines and sections are generally good.  Unfortunately the lateral braces for the inboard wing pylons are moulded on to the wing undersides; see the gorgeous Academy 1/4th F-4J for a better interpretation of these items

Some surface features of late-service Spey Phantoms are missed out, e.g. belly reinforcing straps and outer wing skin doubler plates.  Also lacking is the navigator’s periscope.

The cockpits are a little generic and no provision is made for dual controls for XT-serialled FGR.2s (to be fair the 1/72th Airfix kits also lack this provision)..

The engine air intakes are definitely under-represented with no ducting aft of the intake lips; the Academy kits are better but by n means perfect.  If you’re not fitting blanking plates you need to go after-market (f you can find ‘em).

Hasegawa are notoriously parsimonious with external stores; none are included in their Spey Phantoms for mud-movers or bucket of instant sunshine carriers 

If Airfix are taking their 1/72th Phantoms as a starting point they have their work cut out to produce a better MiG killer.

The surface detail is deeper and wider than the existing Hasegawa kits and something akin to the 1990s 1/48th Lightnings needs to be the goal.

Parts breakdown is a mixed blessing, the one-piece fuselage spine eliminates a “not there on the real thing” joint but fit is a bit off and the multi-option multi-part wing assembly gives a few unwanted “not there on the real thing” joints, e.g. in line with the outer pylons.

Airfix have a chequered past with upscaling/downscaling: the Defiants and Buccaneers are good examples of it working well, but the failure to upscale the 1/72th Blenheim IV to 1/48th is almost comprehensible, as is the decision not to downscale the 1/48th Javelin and Sea Vixen to 1/72th.

Let’s hope that if the powers-that-be at Airfix sanction design and production of a new 1/48th Spey Phantom they give the job to the ‘A” Team who did the Buccaneer, Anson, Beaufort and 1/48th Blenheim.  Maybe we’ll find out at SMW or early in January when the 2024 range is announced.

Airfix lose out to Fujimi in the cockpits simply by using decals in lieu of the Japanese kits’ define raised details on consoles and panels.  However Airfix score by including the navigator’s periscope.  The Fujimi seats are nicer too.

Airfix have about the best intake ducts of any 1/72th Phantom, spoiled only by the wagon-wheel compressor faces which are, thankfully, almost invisible.  Fujimi also score by including the air data probes just inside the intake mouths and a better-defined stab at the boundary layer bleed duct outlets.

Airfix score well on the provision of “things that go bang in the night” especially in the “Black Mike” FG.1 boxing, including ballast Sky Flash/Sparrow rounds.

• Like 1

I think a K/M would create a 'problem' for Airfix, by creating a demand for other Phantoms.

Like Tamiya,  Airfix aren't known for exhaustingly producing different versions, I think the Hunter is the furthest I've seen them go.

They seem to be creating a niche with UK airframes.

But be honest,  which would you rather have   an Airfix 'toom or a ZM/Meng 'toom?

I think that its likely, its popular for those of us with UK backgrounds in its era, for RAF and FAA fans and of course the Phantom Phanatics out there.  Its also iconic, therefore more than likely a very sensible guess on our part, and of course sensible for Airfix to profit from. For some reason, I would hazard a guess that it would be a surprise release like the Sea King.  However, with the quality of the other Phantom variants out there, Tamiya, Meng, ZM and to a point Academy, Airfix would be closely scrutinised against them.

I'm more inclined to think that the next announced 48 scale kit will be the Jag though. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I'm more inclined to think that the next announced 48 scale kit will be the Jag though. 

And the top 3 contestants must be......................................... in no particular order.

Jaguar

Phantom

Tornado

Dick

• Like 1

1/48 FG1/FGR2 Phantoms have already been released by Corgi. I appreciate there is a lot more to a plastic kit than a diecast model, but they have obviously already done their basic research and design. Watch this space I suppose......

• Like 1

I'd be absolutely delighted to see an Airfix 1/48 F-4K/FG.1 — with the proviso it's as good as the Buccaneer S.2 kits, and most definitely not a scaled-up version of the 1/72 Spey Toom with its drainage ditch panel lines and missing inlet bypass vents.

However, the Airfix tiddler, despite its shortcomings, does offer some nice options which would be great in a bigger version: separate or one-piece canopy parts, folded wings or deployed ones with dropped BLC leading and trailing edge flaps. And a proper chunkier FG.1 NLG leg with the aft rake. 

Other subjects might please but a Royal Navy / RAF FG.1 Phantom II would certainly win my heart and money.

Tony 

• Like 2

I think it would be fantastic & can only echo the comments that such an anticipated kit of such an iconic subject MUST be done by the A-Team.

1:72 Victor

1:24 Spitfire

1:48 Buccaneer

1:48 Sea King

thats the quality required.

I know Airfix can do it.

47 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

But preferably not until  I have sold my Hasegawa ones!

I'd still finish my Revellogawa with extras so as to make a folded-up Airfix en suite. 

Pessimistic about the liklihood of a big Airfix AEW Gannet. Did the Classic Airframes development fade away completely, or does some incomplete tooling survive, somewhere out there, giving us some hope? 

I am still hoping Airfix will do a third Buccaneer boxing with a recce tray, and possibly a nuke, on a new teeny sprue.

Tony 

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

I would be happy with that. I know where there is a fully capable ground runner they can LIDAR, can be arranged im sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the Jag will be coming but in 1/72. 

As for the forthcoming kits in the bigger scales after doing a Cold War RN helo and aircraft in 1/48 - I imagine that there will be a return to WW2. 

and I still think we’ll get a twin tub spit. Also there was a rumour of a Lincoln…. is it time for the Airfix 2024 thread - we’re unlikely to get an announcement at Telford it seems…

TT

I know the old adage that a Hasegawa 1/48 F-4K/M doesn't make money for Airfix, but I think that kit is pretty good despite its age and from my perspective, Airfix is doubtful to top what is coming from Shizuoka.

I think they ought to go after the Venom/Sea Venom or Scimitar market.  I know various companies are talking about those kits in 1/48, but they are not on the shelf.  

• Like 3

Re the available 48th Phantoms mentioned above all of them don't portray the UK variant (except the Hasegawa ones)so a decent Spey Phantom will be  welcomed I'm  sure.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:06 AM, Paul J said:

It would be nice. But I think they might continue with another helo 

Maybe a Whirlwind,Wasp or Wessex. Both have FAA and RAF connections.

I'm not sure Airfix will follow up so quickly with another RW type but if they did, I would rather it be the SA.330 Puma.........never kitted before by ANYONE and huge potential. I also see AMP have just announced the first in a series of 1:48 scale H-19s so that will probably take care of the Whirlwind.......but let's try to stay on topic.   

1 hour ago, Phoenix44 said:

I'm sure it's on their list of possibilities but other than that, who knows? There's been a lot of new Phantoms for those who like the aircraft in the last few years so the market may be a little saturated. 

Agree.............but not Spey-Phantoms and our American cousins are just as keen to get their hands on a new-mould Spey Phantom in 1:48 scale