The rather grandly-named Aeronautical Corporation of America (Aeronca) was formed in 1928 by a group of Cincinnati, Ohio businessmen hoping to profit from the recent boom in US civil aviation. With initially no product to sell, they settled on the ultralight monoplane designed by Air Corps engineer Jean Roche, which was productionised as the Aeronca C-2 ‘Flying Bathtub’ and became the World’s first successful major-production ultralight aircraft, largely down to the reliability of the 2-cylinder engine Aeronca also manufactured to power it.

By 1935 however, the writing was on the wall for the Flying Bathtub line (after over 500 had been produced), as the CAA banned the production of light aircraft with wire-braced wings, which required careful maintenance, seen as a potential safety hazard. So Aeronca had to create a more modern successor and hedged their bets by designing two....

First was the model K, which was effectively an updated replacement for the bathtub, with slimmer lines, strut-braced high wing and the same 2-cylinder 36 h.p. engine.

The other was the model L, an altogether more sophisticated affair, with a low-mounted cantilever wing and very 1930s-looking trousered  undercarriage. Although the prototype had the usual 2-cylinder engine, that proved adequate only for a single circuit of the airfield to determine much more power was required. This was found in the shape of the locally-produced 5-cylinder Le Blond radial, with 85 hp, which gave the hoped-for performance.

Although it was well-received, it was comfortably outsold by the cheaper model K, which evolved into the popular Chief when fitted with 4-cylinder engine.  The Aeronca factory was flooded in 1937 and some of the model L tooling destroyed, so the management decided to cease production after 66 had been completed. Only a handful survive, with only one currently in airworthy condition, as shown in this very informative video with vintage lightplane test pilot extraordinary Andrew King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEtvvrJjHqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVZjyX7jro

It’s one of my favourite 1930s lightplanes and I built this model almost exactly 30 years ago and it won the 1/72 scratchbuilt and vacform class at the 1993 IPMS UK Nationals.

Model is 100% scratchbuilt from plasticard  using my take on Harry Woodman’s techniques, including the Le Blond engine and Sensenich prop.

QQFz2Vs.jpg

bZ8XiE4.jpg

2R6g7Ws.jpg

e1UdPlR.jpg

dTaoK6c.jpg

XLqeINa.jpg

hgVt2gC.jpg

17u4bNY.jpg

mjQdWfB.jpg

ekGCvUR.jpg

eiA0DhA.jpg

gpi10in.jpg

xffWaa8.jpg

Im9dZQu.jpg

jCaygHT.jpg

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Absolute masterpiece- and not that I didn't believe you, but that last shot really drives home the scale!  I picked up so many subtle details that reminded me of a "real" aeroplane, that could so easily have been missed/ let slide on the model.

I'm not worthy!

bob

• Thanks 1

Building from scratch, in such the highest quality and detailing is admirable! And the last photo, where it became clear how small this plane is, just stunned!

Museum exhibit. 
I take off my hat.

• Thanks 1

Roger,

This is really a beautiiful, scratchbuild jewel !  And in 1/72 !

I understand you build this gem years ago, but can you explain how you managed to build that complex curved fuselage ?  

I think, you carved a solid form to vacuform later ?

Anyhow, thanks for showing the pictures.

Kind greetings,

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

I understand you build this gem years ago, but can you explain how you managed to build that complex curved fuselage ?  

I think, you carved a solid form to vacuform later ?

Thanks John !

I wish my scratch building was as prolific as yours ! Yes, the fuselage sides were vacformed over carved wooden patterns . Because the bottom of the fuselage was stretched too thin, that was made from sheet plastic, as was the internal structure to hold the sides in place . Regards, Roger

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cngaero said:

Did you by any chance do a WIP with this, I'd love to see it and learn from it.

Chris.

Not with this one, as it was from the film camera era, when I struggled to take any decent WiP photos.  But some of my more recent models I've posted here have some WiP photos, which give you the general idea:

Regards, Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RichieW said:

Stunning work, that is a wonderful, inspiring scratchbuild. I've really enjoyed seeing your little masterpiece.

Richie

Thanks Richie. Looking forward to seeing your Levasseur take shape, although it's at the other end of the size spectrum to mine !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Thanks Richie. Looking forward to seeing your Levasseur take shape, although it's at the other end of the size spectrum to mine !

Much appreciated, I need the bigger scale due to a lack of the necessary finesse for 1/72! I would dearly love to see more of your work Roger. I've been scratching my head and wondering how it is possible to make such a detailed model in 1/72. It really is breathtaking! 

Richie

• Thanks 1

Thank you Roger for sharing some of your previous models, together with your WIP's. They are all delightful models which emphasise, for me, the charm of the era. These are all enhanced by your detailed back story of each type If I had to pick a favourite though, it would have to be the Travel Air 5000.

They are just simply, stunning.

Chris.

• Thanks 1