1/48 McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II

solid build, very well done, I hope big T release an airforce variant in the next year or so..

Hopefully its not too late but it seems you forgot to streak one of the flaps on the starboard wing, its still got solid drops of enamel or oil on it.

• Thanks 1

I think it looks great! I prefer Phantoms with just the centerline fuel tank; it was more aerodynamically efficient than the dual underwing tanks, which was more a Marine Corps and Air Force thing....

• Thanks 1

Great job on the Navy colors! I have been putting off a 1/48 Navy F4-B thinking it won't be near as difficult as some of the elaborate camo patterns on some of my recent F4-E's but after seeing yours and watching all the youtube videos on how to weather these I'm thinking I'm wrong and it will be tons harder , there only two primary colors right? I'm thinking how hard could it be lol! Anyway, love it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, Charles68 said:

Great job on the Navy colors! I have been putting off a 1/48 Navy F4-B thinking it won't be near as difficult as some of the elaborate camo patterns on some of my recent F4-E's but after seeing yours and watching all the youtube videos on how to weather these I'm thinking I'm wrong and it will be tons harder , there only two primary colors right? I'm thinking how hard could it be lol! Anyway, love it.

You are absolutely right. This model is rather tedious to manufacture. To be honest, I'm really tired of her. It's better to do complex camouflage on a light model than this seemingly easy one. But the model itself is very detailed and requires a careful approach to assembly and separate painting of parts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fuad said:

You are absolutely right. This model is rather tedious to manufacture. To be honest, I'm really tired of her. It's better to do complex camouflage on a light model than this seemingly easy one. But the model itself is very detailed and requires a careful approach to assembly and separate painting of parts.

i understand how you feel. I'm in the decalling stage on mine and its a great kit but it is a plodding, tedious build. By contrast, the F-14A moved along much more quickly.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning model! Well done!

Just for reference for future F-4B builders using your model as inspiration, the F-4B did not have the ECM lumps under the wings, the small bulges on top of the wings and the slotted stabs back in 1965/66 (i.e. early in their carreer). Also, they would have MB Mk. 5 seats fittes back then.

Again, your model is stunning. I hope mine turns out just half as good (and with the earlier tail art).

Jens

• Thanks 1

Stunning paint job and weathering especially, don't know if its the photography or if you've done something special to the canopy but it looks so glossy and clear.

Mark

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MBM said:

Stunning paint job and weathering especially, don't know if its the photography or if you've done something special to the canopy but it looks so glossy and clear.

Mark

There is a double secret here. The cockpit glass itself is transparent, but it had a seam line right along the entire. I had to polish it with the finest sandpaper and paste. And then I covered it with the "life-giving moisture" of modeling - "Future" varnish. Yes, I am an old school modeler))).

• Like 2