What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy building this kit at all. The wing root was a nightmare to hide and I just found the whole thing over engineered. I still have a twin seater and another single seater to build but they have gone right to the bottom of the pile. Others will have different opinions, these are just my thoughts.

Duncan B

Always good to be forewarned - I appreciate the heads-up!

• Like 1

From my local model show today (back after a 2 year absence) for £10;

20230226_194402

Box is a bit battered, but kit is mint, and even better, there are 2 complete sets of decals. Been after this kit for ages, so well chuffed, especially for the price. 

• Like 12

On 2/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, danbuoy said:

Revell 1/306 USS Fletcher

Revell/Matchbox HMS Kelly

Revell/Matchbox HMS Tiger

Well, looks like I spoke too soon about these three. They were all part of one lot off ebay and were described as "used but kits are complete and not started". Parcel arrived today, and although Fletcher is OK, HMS Kelly and Tiger are just empty sprues in their respective boxes with the instructions. Got a refund off the seller, but very frustrated.

Edited by danbuoy
  • Sad 5

This I got last week. I want to buy a new rebox Italeri's F-5A/C, but there isn't decal for Skoshi Tiger F-5C that I want to build. I don't know when this box made but it looks very old. This I got last week. I wanted to buy a new rebox Italeri's F-5A/C, but this release haven't decal for Skoshi Tiger F-5C that I want to build. I don't know when this box made but it looks very old. 

20230214-203936.jpg

Edited by Memphis
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, Memphis said:

This I got last week. I want to buy a new rebox Italeri's F-5A/C, but there isn't decal for Skoshi Tiger F-5C that I want to build. I don't know when this box made but it looks very old. 

20230214-203936.jpg

Looks like its 40 years old and was released in 1983. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/esci-9038-skoshi-tiger-f5-rf5--122125

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 2/11/2023 at 4:44 PM, treker_ed said:

Do I go the whole hog and replace the case? Well, yes, I am thinking of doing just that, but for what I need size wise, and the number of components I need to fit inside said case, I need a full tower case, I also need a case with 5.25inch drive bays to fit two optical drives. For that privilege, I'm looking at forking out another £290!!!!! And I could only find one case, from one manufacturer that is still making a case with 5.25" bays in a full tower case! I've asked the wife to buy it for my birthday later in the year (September....) We'll wait and see what happens. For now, I have a very quiet, working PC gaming rig. Here's praying that it stays that way!

Well, the case I wanted to buy has now gone the way of the Dodo:angry: The manufacturer has stopped making it and has decided to launch a replacement sometime in the 2nd quarter 2023. Have been in touch with them to query the 5.25" bays of the replacement, and there will be less that what I will need at present! So back to the drawing board. After a few hours of research (and it was a few hours) I managed to find another case that had 2x5.25" drive bays, and plenty of expansion room in the case. This time from a high-end case maker called Fractal Design. Decided on a Fractal Design Define 7 XL. Usual supplier was supposed to be getting it into stock on 28th Feb and was priced reasonably at £219.98 with free delivery. Knew it wouldn't go smoothly, and late in the day, the stock ETA got changed to 24th March! Plan C... Get it from secondary supplier, but for £40 more, and will be charged carriage🥴 

Case is now on its way and will arrive tomorrow (02/03/2023) sometime. Sometimes I hate being a gamer/PC enthusiast due to the high costs, but it's my other passion hobby - so I should be used to these sorts of things! At least the damn case is not festooned with LED lights and RGB crap like most PC cases are these days. Hate the damn stuff - load of flashy rubbish that just wastes even more energy and is completely useless!

I will probably not be buying much if any modelling stuff this year due to what I've spent in the last month or so on computer components. probably in the region of £1800, really not chuffed about any of that. So the kits in the stash will have to suffice for a while! Apart from several of the 2023 Airfix releases, I haven't seen much that has interested me anyway!

Edited by treker_ed

On 3/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, treker_ed said:

Well, the case I wanted to buy has now gone the way of the Dodo:angry: The manufacturer has stopped making it and has decided to launch a replacement sometime in the 2nd quarter 2023. Have been in touch with them to query the 5.25" bays of the replacement, and there will be less that what I will need at present! So back to the drawing board. After a few hours of research (and it was a few hours) I managed to find another case that had 2x5.25" drive bays, and plenty of expansion room in the case. This time from a high-end case maker called Fractal Design. Decided on a Fractal Design Define 7 XL. Usual supplier was supposed to be getting it into stock on 28th Feb and was priced reasonably at £219.98 with free delivery. Knew it wouldn't go smoothly, and late in the day, the stock ETA got changed to 24th March! Plan C... Get it from secondary supplier, but for £40 more, and will be charged carriage🥴 

Case is now on its way and will arrive tomorrow (02/03/2023) sometime. Sometimes I hate being a gamer/PC enthusiast due to the high costs, but it's my other passion hobby - so I should be used to these sorts of things! At least the damn case is not festooned with LED lights and RGB crap like most PC cases are these days. Hate the damn stuff - load of flashy rubbish that just wastes even more energy and is completely useless!

I will probably not be buying much if any modelling stuff this year due to what I've spent in the last month or so on computer components. probably in the region of £1800, really not chuffed about any of that. So the kits in the stash will have to suffice for a while! Apart from several of the 2023 Airfix releases, I haven't seen much that has interested me anyway!

Of course there's been another problem! Half way through the re-build and found some internal damage!

A small metal bracket has been badly damaged and bent out of shape! Ordinarily I would not be too bothered, except in this instance, it has sheared quite badly, and has almost broken away, if I attempt to reshape it, it will brake off completely! I'm in touch with the suppliers to get it returned!

I wouldn't mind, but I was almost at the point of getting everything wired up! nothing has gone smoothly with this build at all!

spacer.png

spacer.png

These two little brackets were enough to throw the entire case out of wack and stop a £250 case being used! The whole thing now has to be sent back... Worse still, they have none of this case left in stock, I've had to go for the same style, but without a windowed side panel. Thankfully, if I do want the window panel at any stage, it can be bought as an aftermarket item.

Edited by treker_ed
Added pictures
  • Sad 2

From Aero Research

Collection No.1107 USN / USMC CAGs Part 5 , PDF download of the latest addition to the series with 152 images in a mix of colour/black & white.

From Amazon

Boeing C-135 Illustrated book , by Lou Drendel , latest addition to his Aviation Art Inc. series published by Amazon with the usual mix of artwork , images and technical manual excerpts , interesting selection of images although perhaps not surprisingly weighted towards US variants/users than the overseas users.

Via Ali Express

A second Unbranded 1/35 Model Kit Resin Kit Sci-fi Army 2 Tanks  or perhaps a MAiM 1/35 Front ’46 Series 35295 T.R.W. Unke Taktischer Raketenwerfer (Humpty Dumpty with robot legs and multi-tubed rocket launcher arms) doppelganger but at a fraction of the price , no instructions included but found easily on-line and with VAT and Shipping delivered for just under £21 , blurb still states two sets of parts are included however only one set was delivered first time round a few weeks ago , no response to my request for clarification from the seller so Ali Express stepped in and refunded the cost which in turn financed another purchase for the second set of parts I had hoped for in the first place , still only one set in the package and wondering now if ‘two sets of parts’ might actually mean two ways to finish it (different hatches open/closed) but whatever the description was intended to mean my initial goal has now eventually been achieved by a slightly different albeit longer route.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 2:01 PM, treker_ed said:

Of course there's been another problem! Half way through the re-build and found some internal damage!

A small metal bracket has been badly damaged and bent out of shape! Ordinarily I would not be too bothered, except in this instance, it has sheared quite badly, and has almost broken away, if I attempt to reshape it, it will brake off completely! I'm in touch with the suppliers to get it returned!

I wouldn't mind, but I was almost at the point of getting everything wired up! nothing has gone smoothly with this build at all!

spacer.png

spacer.png

These two little brackets were enough to throw the entire case out of wack and stop a £250 case being used! The whole thing now has to be sent back... Worse still, they have none of this case left in stock, I've had to go for the same style, but without a windowed side panel. Thankfully, if I do want the window panel at any stage, it can be bought as an aftermarket item.

New case arrived and has been built up - looks really good now! Although with all the expense, I will probably be paying this off for the next couple of years....... So there goes the modelling budget for a while (just essentials like paint and glue etc - definitely no kits for a while!).

Had a massive scare though when the DPD driver turned up. He decided to be an idiot and tried to pick up a 3ft tall, 18kg (40lb) box by using only one of the built in handles!!!! Gues what..? The box broke and he dropped it. I was not impressed with the muppet when he brought it to the door - and let him know I was not impressed about it. Thankfully, no damage to the internals on this occasion, but I will feed back to the suppliers what happened. Talking of them, all credit to the way they have handled the return and supply of the replacement. Once notified, collection was made within 24hrs, and replacement made 24 hours later, and arrangements made for a Saturday AM delivery FOC. I would definitely recommend Overclockers.co.uk for the way they have got things sorted for me.

(pics of box damage)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

Took these home from a modelling exhibition this weekend.

I've been looking for the US Navy support planes such as the Viking and Neptune and I was lucky to find them. I just need to find an P-3 Orion now and I think I have all the major types I'm looking for. But... that Netherlands navy scheme is looking mighty fine on the Neptune so I might go that route!

Not sure I need two more Voodoo's as I have two already built (RF-101C  & F-101B) but they kinda complete the set. Well, apart from RF-101G/H... Differences between F-101A & C are small (not sure if there's any external differences, have to do some research) but it's hard to say no to century fighters! Especially as these were only 8€ a piece.

Then there is the Sea Hawk which I don't find terribly interesting but I've had lots of fun with kits that I haven't originally thought much about or knew much about them - sometimes they work out better than your 'dream kits'. So I decided to give this a try. Cool detail is the broken external fuel tank which is actually included in the kit. It mentions in the instructions that it was damaged by ground fire during the Suez crisis. As cool as that is - I might go Netherlands with this one too as it comes with Aim-9 Sidewinders. Which feel like completely off on a plane that looks this old. But that makes it pretty cool :)

Also found SA-2 SAM which is nice.

• Like 10

Some paint, Champagne Creme, to decorate what has now become the 'spare room' It was our daughters room until she moved out a couple of years ago and hasn't been redecorated in a while. Modelling taking a bit of a back seat for a few days

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard502 said:

Starling Models HMS Lagan, ordered (or shipped?) Feb.22 arrived today. Extra cost: 13.95 shipping, 12,21 Austrian customs duties. Bl...y Brexit!

Where are you in Austria? My wife’s relatives are in Karnten, close to the Millstatter see. It’s been a while though since we were there, partly bl***y virus.

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

Where are you in Austria? My wife’s relatives are in Karnten, close to the Millstatter see. It’s been a while though since we were there, partly bl***y virus.

Bad Gastein, not so far from Millstadt.

1 hour ago, Richard502 said:

Bad Gastein, not so far from Millstadt.

It looks like a couple of hours drive!

Funny thing is we’ve never been to Austria during the ski season. 

Always in Summer.

A 1/32 Revell Ju88 A-4 off a well known auction site. It’s the techniks version with lights and motors and stuff. Not done anything like this other than a Monogram Phantom Mustang (see through) back when that first came out in 1961!!!

I have a standard one in the stash already but got a bid of £75 accepted which I think is low?  Wouldn’t have fancied paying more. I’m curious to see how it all comes together 

• Like 3

On 07/03/2023 at 15:03, Richard502 said:

There is a train shuttle for cars (piggy-back?) between Bad Gastein and Mallnitz, so a little over an hour transfer time, train ride included.

That's not bad at all!

I am guessing that it is mainly for ski season travel?

46 minutes ago, Richard502 said:

Way back when, before A9 Tauernautobahn was built, the Tauernschleuse was a much used loophole for crossing the Alps. Nowadays it's still well used (trains run every hour both ways) by both locals and tourists.

Now the Tauernautobahn is familiar to us, we've driven along it from Salzburg to the relatives through Spittal, when we could get flights to Salzburg, and when we've flown to Munich.

And we've stopped at the Hohenwerfen Castle, which is quite an impressive place.

Popped into my local to try a couple of the MiGAmmo paints which I only noticed they had a rack of last time (probably been there ages lol) and top up on a couple of humbrols, decided to have a full browse of the shelfs and pick up something small saving something else I wanted till and end of the month treat, couldn';t find anything small that wasn't stash fodder so got that instead, been seeing it in the classicJapaneseGB

On 2/10/2023 at 10:19 AM, stevehnz said:

A Revell 100 years of Jaguar E-type & XK-SS double kit, a pre-order from Jadlam about 6 months ago, came available about a month ago & turned up today. :) Big, way to big to hide. :( Definitely one for a rainy day or three or four, I probably won't use the enclosed paints. :D. also a Kora Fairey Firefly IIm, Belgian Fighter in WW2. Such a pretty wee aeroplane. :) Pity about the rigging. :( 

Steve.

Thank you veeery much Steve @stevehnz. I didn't know there was such a kit!

Here is my latest acquisition, another really nice 1/48 kit from Pilot Replicas @pilot-replicas

and some more Berna clamps .....

spacer.png

• Like 4