This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Toryu

Airfield vehicles - A universal tribute to the groundcraft

7 minutes ago, Toryu said:

This fuel truck looks fantastic. A very nice variation of the GMC topic in a great livery. Très bien modelé!

Thank you very much, Toryu!

Merci

Lolo

17 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day people,

I have the Airfix 1/72 WWII RAF Bomber re-supply set and I have a couple of questions regarding colours. The overall colour for the vehicles as indicated by the instructions is Humbrol 29 (matt Dark Earth) with a black disruptive pattern.

This seems to agree with many of the fine examples in this topic, but disagrees with the images on the box sleeve (including pictures of the built models), which display a distinctly greener hue, closer to olive drab.  I realise that the box top is not a definitive reference and the assembled kits may have been painted before the production instructions were available  to the builder. Was Dark Earth  the 'standard' colour for WWII UK based vehicles or were there  other variations?

My second question is in regards to the oil bowser internals. The kit instructions simply state that the internal details are all painted Dark Earth. I suspect the cabinet interior would be painted white but this is just a guess based on period pics of the Albion 3 point re-fueller,

does anyone have any reference pics of the cabinet details?

cheers

Pappy

For the colour of the vehicles, I'll let others who are more knowledgeable answer that. As for the colour inside the doors of the Albion refueler, I'd go with white.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.248474884.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.164652220.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.135793970.2020792

All other RAF fueling vehicles would be painted white inside the doors.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.214844436.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.180881700.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.171778211.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.236274818.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.214836372.2020792

Chris

G'day Dogsbody,

I have to  agree with the white cabinet interior. I have had some additional info from other BMers inthe WWII a/c thread reference colours, but the pics you have included are really interesting. The pic 3rd from the bottom, the oil tender exterior colour hues match the aircraft pretty closely. The last pic with the Mk. Vb spit is also interesting as the tractor appears a blue grey colour. If this is correct then this may be a pre-war colour which the RAF adopted after the war although usually this has a yellow upper surface ? Could it be that the colour balance is off and that the blueish colour is actually an earth tone with the colour shift due to older film rpoperties? The spit certainly seems to be correct in the green and grey scheme so I would not have thought so......

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dogsbody,

I have to  agree with the white cabinet interior. I have had some additional info from other BMers inthe WWII a/c thread reference colours, but the pics you have included are really interesting. The pic 3rd from the bottom, the oil tender exterior colour hues match the aircraft pretty closely. The last pic with the Mk. Vb spit is also interesting as the tractor appears a blue grey colour. If this is correct then this may be a pre-war colour which the RAF adopted after the war although usually this has a yellow upper surface ? Could it be that the colour balance is off and that the blueish colour is actually an earth tone with the colour shift due to older film rpoperties? The spit certainly seems to be correct in the green and grey scheme so I would not have thought so......

It could be a pre-war or an early war tractor, too. Here another colour or maybe a colourized photo.

49935397382_b84fca5ca1_b.jpg

Chris

On 5/24/2020 at 1:02 AM, Pappy said:

G'day people,

I have the Airfix 1/72 WWII RAF Bomber re-supply set and I have a couple of questions regarding colours. The overall colour for the vehicles as indicated by the instructions is Humbrol 29 (matt Dark Earth) with a black disruptive pattern.

This seems to agree with many of the fine examples in this topic, but disagrees with the images on the box sleeve (including pictures of the built models), which display a distinctly greener hue, closer to olive drab.  I realise that the box top is not a definitive reference and the assembled kits may have been painted before the production instructions were available  to the builder. Was Dark Earth  the 'standard' colour for WWII UK based vehicles or were there  other variations?

My second question is in regards to the oil bowser internals. The kit instructions simply state that the internal details are all painted Dark Earth. I suspect the cabinet interior would be painted white but this is just a guess based on period pics of the Albion 3 point re-fueller,

does anyone have any reference pics of the cabinet details?

cheers

Pappy

Standard colour would be SCC2 Service Brown, RAF only started using SCC15 Green when stock of SCC2 had run out or if the vehicle was supplied new after may 1944, then and only then was SCC15 green used. Very early war vehicles, and interestingly all Fordson and Brown tractors plus bomb trolleys right through the war, were Khaki Green 3 with SCC1A Dark Brown stripped camo.

The Nobles Slate Grey (SCC14) was not black at all, called slate grey for a reason 😉, it would have been blacker on canvas as that had more bitumen in it to get it to stick.

All canvas was dyed SCC7 green, very close to Khaki Green 3 paint, but it faded quite quickly to the khaki green/brown we all know 

Inside the tanker pump box would have been gloss white or zinc chromate 

PS. Fire Tenders were NEVER red, there were some pre war red Crossleys but they were up north, also the Airfix K6 monitor kit..... only one K6 Monitor ever existed and that was made after the war from a crashed WOT1, the true carrier of the monitor equipment

PPS. The RAF had stopped using BS33 Field Blue before the end of 1939, when the KG3 colour was fazed in.

Hope that helps

Sean

Recently added to its dio base.....

Crossley Q 409 signals body

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the Best

Sean

On 5/25/2020 at 6:35 PM, dogsbody said:

It could be a pre-war or an early war tractor, too. Here another colour or maybe a colourized photo.

49935397382_b84fca5ca1_b.jpg

The inside of the doors on this bowser look to be RAF blue grey, the exterior has been repainted. 

Selwyn

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

Story checks out........

Pappy

On 5/26/2020 at 6:02 AM, vindicareassassin said:

Standard colour would be SCC2 Service Brown, RAF only started using SCC15 Green when stock of SCC2 had run out or if the vehicle was supplied new after may 1944, then and only then was SCC15 green used. Very early war vehicles, and interestingly all Fordson and Brown tractors plus bomb trolleys right through the war, were Khaki Green 3 with SCC1A Dark Brown stripped camo.

The Nobles Slate Grey (SCC14) was not black at all, called slate grey for a reason 😉, it would have been blacker on canvas as that had more bitumen in it to get it to stick.

All canvas was dyed SCC7 green, very close to Khaki Green 3 paint, but it faded quite quickly to the khaki green/brown we all know 

Inside the tanker pump box would have been gloss white or zinc chromate 

PS. Fire Tenders were NEVER red, there were some pre war red Crossleys but they were up north, also the Airfix K6 monitor kit..... only one K6 Monitor ever existed and that was made after the war from a crashed WOT1, the true carrier of the monitor equipment

PPS. The RAF had stopped using BS33 Field Blue before the end of 1939, when the KG3 colour was fazed in.

Hope that helps

Sean

G'day Sean

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It seems that I have a few decisions to make, but this is all great info. I have tracked down an article written by Mike Starmer on WWII vehicle camouflage which has been very helpful,

cheers,

Pappy

Good afternoon

For the diorama of the 1/38 B-17G I want to do, I've found  vehicles, but impossible to find the fire tanker truck.

Is a fellow has a clue hoe I can find it or modifying an existing one ?

Thanks in advance

On 6/2/2020 at 7:05 AM, Phigla said:

Good afternoon

For the diorama of the 1/38 B-17G I want to do, I've found  vehicles, but impossible to find the fire tanker truck.

Is a fellow has a clue hoe I can find it or modifying an existing one ?

Thanks in advance

US stations were equipped with Fordson WOT1 Fire Tenders, the only model of one that I know of is a Diecast one made by Oxford..... https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/ford-wot1-crash-tender-mickey-mouse-scampton-76wot001

And file it away under "Another Excellent Braille Scale Model". Nice one Sean.

John.