Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Army_Air_Force last won the day on February 15 2018

Army_Air_Force had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3,502 Excellent

1 Follower

About Army_Air_Force

  • Rank
    Very Obsessed Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Washington, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Bare metal will also reflect the colours around it, so looking at the bottom of a bare metal wire, it is likely to be reflecting the fuselage or wing to some degree. All the pictures in this thread appear to me to be bare metal with varying reflections and weathering.
  2. He loves it and there's a good chance I'll get to fly with him at some point this year in the Jungmann.
  3. For some reason, the forum software has repeated two of my pictures, despite the fact that when you click the pictures, the correct image opens up. Even after clearing cookies, on both my laptop and phone, there are two photos duplicated. Very odd. When I insert the picture link, the correct images shows in the comment box, but as soon as I post them, the wrong ones appear. I've ended up deleting the duplicates. Doesn't matter what I do, the correct images won't show, despite adding the correct link! Even in a new post, rather than editing the previous posts.
  4. The last shots. I was also pleased with the chrome painted bracing wires. The bottom of the oak base was covered in self adhesive felt to protect any surface it was placed on. Very pleased with the end result and it seems fairly sturdy with all the brass work. All done! That was my first large scale plastic model in quite a while, normally working in 1/72, 1/48 and sometimes 1/144 scales. The rigging wasn't so difficult, probably helped by the larger scale, so we'll see how I get on next time I rig a 1/72 scale model. The next customer projects on the bench will be a wooden Lockheed Constellation to refurbish and a 1/48 Spitfire.
  5. Another "flying" shot - it appears that both crew have bailed!! Engine running. I'm fairly pleased with the way this prop turned out. I certainly prefer it to those 2D etched brass blurred props. The balance of the model when held by the handle feels good 'though I haven't flown a full aerobatic schedule with it!
  6. With a little editing to remove the handle from the picture. Engine stopped!
  7. The model was delivered to its new owner at the end of November. Here's a selection of pictures of the aircraft on and off its display stand.
  8. It was now mid November 2019 and the model was almost complete. The base and handle had been given several more coats of varnish and the windscreens were added to the model. A few other small details were also painted and the handle was then epoxied to the stainless wire. Both props had spinners added and their painting completed, including the tip stripes.
  9. The oak base was also sprayed and sanded back a number of times, baking it in my curing cabinet each time. It took a few goes spraying the blurred prop. This is one of the failed attempts that got contaminated with dust. I didn't know whether the owner would like the blurred prop, so also painted the kit prop. Both were fitted with M3 studding to screw into the cowling.
  10. The next job was to look at the model, its weight and the base and work out an angle to drill the base to hold the handle. The base was to hold and display the model when it wasn't being used for display planning. The hole was drilled and sanded a little oversize to allow a slightly loose fit of the handle in the hole. The last thing I wanted was to pick the model up and the base to stick on the handle.
  11. The brass landing gear was glued in place next, using small spots of epoxy. The wheel angles were set up after the landing gear was dry. The leading half of the prop blur was also dusted over in black with the airbrush, fading to little paint towards the trailing edge. The wing joining tapes were also added to the top wing, where the outer wing panel joins the centre section. These were painted strips of decal film.
  12. I generally don't like biplanes and rigging, but I think the larger than normal scale took some of the stress out of it and allowed my fingers to fit where they usually don't!! I took a moment to sit back and enjoy the build in daylight but there was still work to do. I than started spraying the handle with varnish, rubbing down between each coat.
  13. The rigging wires were looking quite good, but a bit invisible from some angles. The transparent line could vanish under some light, but I had a cunning plan! I'd recently bought one of those Molotow chrome pens, so used a brush to draw some of the chrome ink out and then painted along the wire. Instantly I had nice chorme/stainless looking rigging wires. Also just visible in the above picture is the boot around the bottom of the struts and wires. The real aircraft has leather boots. I mixed up some PVA glue with some milled fibreglass fibres and built up the little leather fairing. Once dry, these were painted black to match the real aircraft. The rest of the airframe was also masked off so the top wing centre section could be sprayed.
  14. My workshop is 23 x 12 feet. We'd get a few in there and one more in the kitchen making coffee!!
  15. Almost the end of the session, the other two wheels were glued onto the Jeep and we then left it upside down for the glue joints to fully harden. The spare wheel would be attached later. To finish the afternoon, Dave the driver parked up the Sherman near the cottage while Kevin the commander kept watch. I grabbed a quick photo before they moved on.
  • Create New...