BBC Filming War Of The Worlds in UK

6 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

H.G Wells and War of Worlds being one of my all time favorite books, as well as the Jeff Wayne's musical version (stage show included to which I have seen many times), I was a little unsure on this....

However, it does look good and I will be watching with interest. One criticism I do have with the trailer...they showed the fighting machine FAR too early... a few glimpses perhaps, but keep it secret until the show is aired...

It would be interesting if there is any narration through the series as the "voice of humanity" 

Agreed.  Gives it all away showing the tripod so clearly in the trailer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Another interesting thing is that the BBC have also been advertising the Dark Materials by Philip Pullman as a forthcoming drama.

3rd of November for this.

• 3 weeks later...

Still no fixed date for wotw  yet.  My guess around Christmas?

However, the beeb  are running trailers for Philip Pulman's Dark Materials based on his trilogy of fantasy novels. Airs on Nov. 3rd. The trailers look really good. I read the books so hope this comes up to expectations.

• Like 1

in an odd bit of scheduling these are getting shown in Canada and NZ first, a three part mini series. First two eps are already out, mate from that part of the world says they are alright. Better than other more recent attempts.

Also the scene, you know the one... this I think is a bit of it

so they do sort of go there

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, Noel Smith said:

Still no fixed date for wotw  yet.  My guess around Christmas?

My guess is that it will take the Sunday 9pm slot after World on Fire has finished.

Cheers,

Nigel

The NZ broadcast was re edited to 2 episodes (have seen both) The UK broadcast was put back due to delays in post production with the CGI. The programme had been pre sold prior to completion and thats why Canada, NZ and probably others got to see it first. By the time it was completed the UK broadcast slot was probably missed hence why Auntie beeb has been a bit tight lipped about when it will be on. 

Thats my theory any how! 

Regards,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Looks promosing, I think this has been available on other platforms should soon be available on BBC

Unoficial Trailer:

• Like 1

I first discovered Jeff Wayne's album in 1981. By 1986, I had to buy another copy, as I'd worn out this first one. A couple years later, I bought it on CD, which I still have. That CD has been downloaded onto my IPod so I can listen to it whenever I want. I leave my IPod on shuffle so every once in a while one of the songs pops up.

A true classic!

Chris

• Like 1

At long last an announcement!    WOTW is airing on the beeb on Sunday 17th November at 9 PM immediately after His Dark Materials 3rd episode of 8.

I believe that WOTW is a 3 part series. Great viewing on the beeb for the whole of the next 3 Sunday evenings.

Am enjoying His Dark Materials having read and enjoyed Philip Pullman's books a few years ago. I believe that the BBC will be running 3 series of 8 episodes of the trilogy.

The first series appears to be based on the first book Northern Lights. The other books are named The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass.

Ive been lucky enough to catch the first 2 episodes that are out in the wild - its actually not too bad at all! A fresh take and actually not a half darn bad go at that! 

Does anyone else find it extraordinarily coincidental that there is also ANOTHER War Of The Worlds tv show that also has released this month? Its a Fox Networks/StudioCanal 9 part series, but this time set in modern day central western Europe (france/germany). Yet to watch that but seems to be rated quite well on the review sites! 

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Ive been lucky enough to catch the first 2 episodes that are out in the wild - its actually not too bad at all! A fresh take and actually not a half darn bad go at that! 

Does anyone else find it extraordinarily coincidental that there is also ANOTHER War Of The Worlds tv show that also has released this month? Its a Fox Networks/StudioCanal 9 part series, but this time set in modern day central western Europe (france/germany). Yet to watch that but seems to be rated quite well on the review sites! 

But I understand that the other show is NOTHING to do with War of the Worlds - they have just nicked the title.

Cheers,

Nigel

21 minutes ago, nheather said:

But I understand that the other show is NOTHING to do with War of the Worlds - they have just nicked the title.

Cheers,

Nigel

What do you mean by that? First i've heard of the other show, but looking at the description for it, I don't see how it's unrelated.

1 hour ago, TheVoidDragon said:

What do you mean by that? First i've heard of the other show, but looking at the description for it, I don't see how it's unrelated.

Reading reviews posted by people that have seen it.  It is similar in that the earth is invaded by aliens.  But it is more of a surviver story - most of humankind has been wiped out and the story follows pockets of survivors.  More of a post apocalyptic The aliens are a backdrop.  It doesn’t end either, it gets  end of series 1 and hangs for the second series.  No aliens in big tripods .

Read this to get a flavour

https://waroftheworlds.fandom.com/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(Fox_and_Canal%2B_TV_series)

Cheers,

Nigel

On 12/11/2019 at 20:55, nheather said:

Reading reviews posted by people that have seen it.  It is similar in that the earth is invaded by aliens.  But it is more of a surviver story - most of humankind has been wiped out and the story follows pockets of survivors.  More of a post apocalyptic The aliens are a backdrop.  It doesn’t end either, it gets  end of series 1 and hangs for the second series.  No aliens in big tripods .

Read this to get a flavour

https://waroftheworlds.fandom.com/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(Fox_and_Canal%2B_TV_series)

Cheers,

Nigel

I see what you mean! It sounds pretty bad really, at least based off the premise. Focusing on the people rather than the Martian Invasion itself isn't really what I expect from the War of the Worlds.

If being broadcast in the USA can someone please tell Mr Trump it’s just a tv programme?  We don’t want another one of these do we?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(1938_radio_drama)

Looking forward to it. Will miss Richard Burtons deep tones though. I liked the suggestion of the alternative of Anthony Hopkins though. A coincidence they are both Welsh I think

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JohnT said:

Looking forward to it. Will miss Richard Burtons deep tones though. I liked the suggestion of the alternative of Anthony Hopkins though. A coincidence they are both Welsh I think

Jeff Wayne re-imagined the album in 2012 with the post script 'New Generation'.

Liam Neeson took on the Burton role and Gary Barlow did some of the singing.

There's now also a totally interactive version of Jeff Wayne's album/show in London.

You are actually part of the story and have to survive the Martian war machines.

Creeping around ruined buildings, sliding through sewers, puzzle solving, hot air balloon ride, even getting wet in small boats trying to get out to Thunderchild. with the Tripods firing at you. You even feel the heat.

Lots of VR, holograms, loads of amazing actors and sets.

It genuinely is creepy, and GREAT.

About 2 hours long.

You need to go - it's fantastic.

https://www.dotdot.london/

5 hours ago, roymattblack said:

There's now also a totally interactive version of Jeff Wayne's album/show in London.

You are actually part of the story and have to survive the Martian war machines.

Creeping around ruined buildings, sliding through sewers, puzzle solving, hot air balloon ride, even getting wet in small boats trying to get out to Thunderchild. with the Tripods firing at you. You even feel the heat.

Lots of VR, holograms, loads of amazing actors and sets.

It genuinely is creepy, and GREAT.

About 2 hours long.

You need to go - it's fantastic.

https://www.dotdot.london/

I went there back in the summer, and fully agree.

It's been given an extension until March next year.

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Any idea till when in March?

This would be a great little thing for me and a few friends to do as a birthday celebration methinks!

To the 31st of March. It's on the website, but not so obvious. Call up the booking calendar, move your cursor to the right of the current date at the head of the calendar, and click the blue chevron/arrowhead that appears to advance to the next month. It would be a lot easier if the chevron were permanently visible onscreen...

Get in quick, book your tickets, and enjoy the experience!

I really need to point out I have no connection at all with the organisers, dotdot, except as a happy customer.

• Like 1

Caught the first episode on Sunday. Sad to say as I've loved the novel for years , I thought this adaptation to be meandering, tedious, lacking in tension and annoying. I cant ever remember a love story being woven into the novel? The SFX are lacking any wow at all, the Fighting machines really do look like the creature designs for the over lords in the Tripod serial from way back when. I'll watch the other episodes and try to keep my arms unfolded, not raise my eyebrows and mutter to my self.

I've been really looking forward to this for ages. now I feel i've had the jam nicked  out of my doughnut.

Still, I haven't seen His Dark materials yet,that should be good!

• Like 3

His Dark Materials is very good, War of the Worlds... I'm suspending judgement for now...

An attempt has been made to modernise, ie its got female characters where there were none in the original. However, there seems to be an attempt to make the relationship 'relevant' and confrontational with society at the time, which is utterly irrelevant to the main story.

I also wanted to hear Richard Burton's voice in the opening voiceover :)

• Like 1