1/48 Italeri CR42 Falco

Presenting my finished CR42 using the Italeri kit. The model depicts the Falco flown by Maggiore Ferucci Vosilla who commanded the 18 Gruppo of 3 Stormo when, on June 15, 1940, the Gruppo participated in the strafing of air bases at Cuers Pierrefue and Cannet de Maures in Southern France. 

The cockpit received scratch built frames and the PE detail set by Eduard.  The base colour is straight Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow, the green is XF-27 Black Green, and the brown is XF-9 Hull Red. The colours, in my opinion, are a very good match against the samples on the STORMO site for Giallo Mimetico 3, Verde Mimetico 3, and Marrone Mimetico 2, respectively so I'm happy with those and the fact that I didn't have to mix anything. The underside is Alclad Airfame Aluminum. I used the kit decals.

18120109-jpg.519954

18120110-jpg.519955

18120111-jpg.519956

18120112-jpg.519957

18120108-jpg.519953

18120106-jpg.519965

18120105-jpg.519964

• Like 42

Beautiful and very convincing representation of this flying anachronism, that was still well liked by pilots.

Incidentally, as the J 11 the CR.42 served with the Swedish Air Force, starved for modern materiel, between 1940 and 1945. A single J 11 survived the Swedish postwar wholesale scrapping of all 'obsolete' types and is now in the Air Force Museum at Linköping.

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks everyone. It started as a Belgian bird but I liked the Italian markings better. Pictures of the specimen in the Swedish museum were useful in creating some of the scratch built details.

Thanks ever so much gents. I found that I had to replace my airbrush nozzle and needle before completing the camo as I just couldn't get my Iwata HP-C+ to spray such a fine pattern. Close inspection showed a very slight belling of the nozzle and a small bend on the needle. Replacing these made a world of difference.

Glad you like the model.

Andy