Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Crimea River

Members
  • Content Count

    368
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Crimea River last won the day on September 12

Crimea River had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

719 Excellent

About Crimea River

  • Rank
    Established Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Interests
    WW2 Aircraft Models, Mosquito Restoration

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yeah, not sure where the hang up was Chris, though there was a British Airways strike during the 3 weeks it took. Thanks for the likes and comments folks. More soon hopefully.
  2. Thank-you Paul. Moving on, a friend of mine in the UK sent me some aftermarket goodies which took the pigeon a long time to deliver here over the pond: If you can excuse the lighting (I shouldn't have used a white background), the Rob Taurus vacuum formed canopy looks like this. It's beautifully moulded and extremely clear with some very subtle riveting. I will be making the internal framing from scratch which should make this assembly quite attractive if I can pull it off. The one disadvantage is that only one canopy is provided so if I screw up cutting this from the backing then there is no second chance.I will leave a little extra on the edges and slowly sand them back while regularly dry-fitting the part. I'll also need to add the wiper blade on the windscreen which is no biggie. This will be the first time that I've tried aftermarket brass machine gun barrels as I've tended to make my own in the past when the real things are just plain tubes. However, the .303's that poke out the front of an F.B. VI have lots of detail that is difficult to replicate so I thought it best to get a set. The 20mm cannons and the pitot tube are less of an issue, though a welcome addition to the package. I did not take these out of the wrap lest I lose the things so, for now, you'll need to look through the wrapper. Back to the bomb/gun bay. In our last episode, I mounted the rearmost gun butts and began work on the ammo boxes. Below you can see the ammo boxes assembled and installed with the gun butts painted. With that done, I set about building a contraption to support the middle cannons which were mounted forward of the outer ones so that the ammo feeds would not interfere. The kit butts are seen in light grey here and are glued to a built-up T post made of styrene card. The horizontal part of the T was made with varying thicknesses until I got the right height to mount the butts. It should be noted that the doors that cover the guns will be displayed closed so I took this into account by concentrating on only those details that will be seen through the open bomb bay. The only parts of the middle guns that will be seen are the butts and the lines lading to the firing mechanisms. Once the center guns were secure, they were painted black and the pneumatic tubes to each firing mechanism were added. The pipe that runs along the base of the support truss represents the fuel line from the wing tanks and the end will be connected to the soon-to-be-built fuel gallery. The pipe is made of solder. Here's what this all looks like on a real F.B VI. I took this pic crawling under KA114 when it was rolled out in Hamilton in 2014. Note that the ammo boxes can be seen but that they are a very dark brown colour in this case. I chose to make mine bare aluminum. The strut and hydraulic cylinders that operate the doors will be added once the fuselage comes together but you can see what I've been driving at here. In order to compare, I took the below pic to put us in more or less the same orientation. It was only after I took this pic that I realized that I screwed up the fuel line I mentioned earlier. The loose end that I left to connect to the fuel gallery is on the wrong side! The gallery can be seen in the reference pic as the grey casting in the top right of the photo. I was constantly working with this reference pic with my model flipped over relative to the pic so I got discombobulated. It should be an easy fix though, provided that I've left enough material on the right side. That's all for today guys. Thanks again for your interest and comments/likes. As always, critiques and suggested corrections are welcome. Andy
  3. I like what you've done so far but I especially like how you picked out those harnesses on the resin seats. Beautifully done!
  4. Not boring us at all Greg. Keep it up!
  5. Thanks guys. Nice looking pit Paul and your scratch work is very good. Your receiver unit is much longer than mine but looks better!. I scaled mine to 8 x 9 x 18 inches per the specs.
  6. Indeed I am, every Saturday. Also on the Board of Directors for the team doing the restoration.
  7. A very realistic looking model. Nice work on the colour variations.
  8. Shiny or not, that engine is stunning! If you think it's too shiny then a gradual misting of flat clear may do the trick. Personally, I think it looks fine.
×
×
  • Create New...